Possible raise of lorry speed limits

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by tofo, Nov 9, 2012.

?

Should limits be raised for lorries

1. Yes

33 vote(s)
    39.8%
  2. No

50 vote(s)
    60.2%
  1. tofo

tofo Funster

Should the lorry speed limits be raised

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-20268743

Hopefully a secret poll

Myself I think it should raise
    mainly to stop dangerous overtakes by other road used

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  2. yorkshirepudding

yorkshirepudding Read Only Funster

Given that few lorries observe the 40mph limit and that it doesn't seem to be enforced It might as well be raised.

• Like Like x 4
  3. aba

aba

dont think it will make the slightest bit of difference they say that the speed limit on motorways is 60mph which 95% of all lorries over and including 7.5 tons are limited to 56 mph or 52mph so will never reach the motorway speed limits.

• Like Like x 3
  4. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

No!

Because following a faster lorry down a motorway or dual carriageway will burn more of our fuel!
    People will always overtake a lorry whatever speed it does. Lorries are perceived as an obstruction just like caravanners and us!
    A higher lorry speed limit will just put the morons who overtake dangerously on the wrong side of the road for longer. In my opinion!

• Like Like x 6
  5. mick noe

mick noe Funster

speed limits should be looked at as they are outdated. For instance in my new disc braked all round small connect van limited to 50 single carriageway 60 dual, but my motorhome vintage technology same speed limit as cars yet handling and breaking far Superior in modern vehicles. Not that it matters much as motorhome rarely sees more than 55 on speedo (enjoy taking my time /taking in surroundings/saving fuel:thumb:)

• Like Like x 3
  6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

On single carriage ways up to 50mph wouldn't make any difference as they all do that anyway. Never yet been behind a lorry doing 40mph.

make it 50-60-70 same as us lot are supposed to do. :Rofl1:

• Like Like x 4
  7. Goldenoldies

Goldenoldies Funster

Is this another government ploy to take our eye off the bigger picture,they have already done away with most speed cameras reduced the number of police out on the streets and in cars ,so most drivers drive at what speed they like anyway.(I think they wont us to forget their expences fiddles).

• Like Like x 4
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Yes.

The 40 mph limit is logically sound because of the weight involved and the impact damage but I believe the accidents caused by frustrated motorists must be far greater than the odd HGV crash.

• Like Like x 6
  9. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Having been involved in road transport all my life and watched the maximum weight go from 32 tons to 44 tons and what was once considered a powerful truck if it could produce 180 BHP go up to well over 500 BHP I don't think its a good idea to have that 44 ton truck travelling down a single track road and taking bends at 50 MPH.
    If on the other hand they want to raise the speed limit on duel carriageways from 50 to 60 then they will have to alter the speed limiter to suit.
    It matters not what they move the speed limit to, trucks will all be limited to the same speed so you will always have them tailgating. If they are going to be tailgating I prefer them to be doing it at 56 MPH and not 70 MPH with 44 tons of steel behind them.

• Like Like x 6
  10. Sundowners

Sundowners Funster Life Member

If the limit for empty trucks was raised it would help to stop trucks blocking 2 lane roads (dual carriageways)------------the 40 limit on non dual carriageways is pathetic:Eeek::Eeek:

When I was at school:Sad:----my dad drove a truck transporting caravans------when he was towing, he was on a TWENTY MPH limit:Sad::Sad:----good job there were no speed----sorry---safety cameras then----or radar:BigGrin::BigGrin:
    Nigel

• Like Like x 3
  11. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

I thought we were supposed to be having a fossil fuel crisis.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snitrats

Snitrats Funster

I used to drive Leicester to Peterborough along the A47 every day.This road has very few safe overtaking places. The thing that everyone dreaded on this road was a Walkers Crisps lorry which stick to the 40mph limit.
    In the two years I drove this route I lost count of near misses by frustrated car drivers trying to overtake in suicidal places,including me (I had a WRX Subaru) at the time ,so at least I had the power to get by!
    Following lorries doing 50mph was a much better experience ,you could make reasonable progress and drivers less frustrated.
    So YES raise the single carriageway limit 50mph:driving2::driving2:

• Like Like x 1
  13. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I understand what your saying, but not all trucks carry bags of crisps. Imagine a reefer with over 20 tons of hanging beef carcasses going round a bend at over 40 MPH.
    Have seen those things go over on roundabouts doing 5 MPH. Petrol tankers flying around with thousands of gallons of petrol on board :Eeek:. Also the implications of the people that have houses adjoining these single track roads. Can you imagine the devastation to property that raising the speed limit would do. There is good reason for keeping HGVs to a lower speed limit and being late for shopping or work is not one of em.

• Like Like x 4
  14. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

The speed limits were set befoe the advent of ABS, Traction control, EBS, exhaust braking, load sensing supension, hardest HGV driving test in europe, six weekly inspections for trucks (law), 12 weekly servicing for trucks (law), continuall driving assesments, drivers CPC, 5 yearly medicals, stringent company p0licy's that get rid of drivers under the three strike rule, continual monitoring of driving by incab systems, proof of driving safety (tacho), so, when the great unwashed reach standards anywhere near 1% of the above......perhaps a poll questioning HGV safety and speed would have some merit.
    Why do you think that many trucks now sport signs on the rear telling you that on single track roads we are only legally allowed to do 40 ? Its because once youve passed your test in 1847, you get no further training, so dont know the llaw....unless you read it in the Daily Mail of course.

• Like Like x 5
  15. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

The problem isn't HGVs at any speed, the problem is the conduct of morons who don't have the ability to properly plan their journey and get impatient because of it! A 50mph HGV would be more dangerous than a 40mph one purely because the moron overtaking it would take longer to get past it!

We live just off the A47 in Norfolk. The number of road closures caused by collisions is astronomical! The main cause is head-ons caused by overtaking cars. Not caused by speed, but caused by overtaking on blind bends and junctions. In these cases, the speed of the overtaken vehicle is immaterial.

Yes I understand slow vehicles can be infuriating, but the root cause of these accidents is bad driving, period.:Angry:

I cover 25-30K per year in my work van, nearly exclusively on single carriageway roads. My average speed? About 38mph!

Plan for that and there is no need to endanger you or anyone else on the road by driving like a moron and overtaking dangerously!:thumb:

• Like Like x 2
  16. tick59

tick59 Funster

:Doh::Doh:
    Top speed of my 44 ton wagon is 50mph. the reason our trucks are restricted to 50 is so our company could afford to give us drivers a pay rise and also to reduce running costs.It is not the speed limit that should be reduced but the hours drivers work. We are still working 70 to 80 hours a week and our wages are not much more than what we could earn in the 70's when drivers hours first came in.

• Like Like x 5
  17. Pikey Pete

Pikey Pete Read Only Funster

IMHO the speed limits should stay as they are.

What should be introduced is the no overtaking for HGV rule on dual carriageways, between 7am and 7pm as used in many European countries.

I also think that trucks should not be on the road on Sundays unless carrying essential loads, again a rule in many European countries.

We should also charge a toll for trucks over 12 tonnes on all roads.

Pete:Cool:

Last edited: Nov 10, 2012
    • Like Like x 3
  18. WAG2CRU

WAG2CRU Read Only Funster

Not in Argyll where HGV accidents regularly cause major problems, if the 40mph limit were enforced, it would make traveling much safer and also provide following car drivers more time to make safe overtakes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

Already in place mate, its called road tax and it cost's between £700 - 1500 a year, if you put an extra toll on trucks, be prepared to pay £2.50 for a loaf of bread, £5 for a pint of beer, and £6 per gallon for petrol. Also, once they put a toll on us, they,ll use the precedent to make all A roads and motorways toll......so you wont be able to afford to use our mh. B carefull of what you wish for.

• Like Like x 3
  20. maz

maz Funster

Oil reserves are finite - where is the sense in raising speed limits and using it up at an even faster rate than we're doing now? :RollEyes:

Would prefer speed limits for all vehicles to be set at 50mph single carriageway and 60mph dual carriageway/motorway.

• Like Like x 1