Position of solar controller (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Guys

I'm adding an extra solar panel and controller to my van and considering the position of the controller.

I understand that it should be close to the batteries - but just how close?

Does a metre or two of extra cable make a significant difference?

Thanks

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
It's just voltage drop that's the problem but as long as the cables are not way too skinny a metre or two shouldn't be a problem.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why add an extra controller ?
Just wire the old and new panels together and use the existing controller.
I did that already and have reached the limit of the controller
Furthermore the new panel will be right above the batteries, making a new run much shorter than extending the current one

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
It's just voltage drop that's the problem but as long as the cables are not way too skinny a metre or two shouldn't be a problem.

Martin
Victron specify 6mm cable from the controller to the battery

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
The theory is that you are better having any volt drop on the higher voltage input side of the regulator than on the output side. In practice if you are using at least 4mm but I prefer 6mm it's not going to matter significantly.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Another point, the largest volt drop will be in summer when you are getting the max out of the panels so it won't be a problem. In winter when the panels are producing only 25-30% of their output and you need the max amount of charge the volt drop will be at it's lowest so again not a problem.
As Andy says as long as your cables are at least 4mm sq it will be fine.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Job done !

Moved my two existing controllers and added a third to manage the two extra solar panels I fitted - all within 1m of the leisure batteries and are run in 6mm cable.

Each controller is marked to show which of my 6 solar panels it manages

IMG_5753.JPG

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Job done !

Moved my two existing controllers and added a third to manage the two extra solar panels I fitted - all within 1m of the leisure batteries and are run in 6mm cable.

Each controller is marked to show which of my 6 solar panels it manages

View attachment 132757
Why?!!!!
Your solar wasn't working for a year and you didn't know and didn't have any problems so why fit another 2 panels.:confused:

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Why?!!!!
Your solar wasn't working for a year and you didn't know and didn't have any problems so why fit another 2 panels.:confused:
Mrs C likes to use her hair dryer every day.
I like drinking espresso coffee.
I've also fitted an 40 litre cold box/fridge in the garage as our Tec Tower is crap.
So now my beer is super cold, but I'm using more power.

Yes we did manage for a year before our solar started working - but only by not using appliances when our batteries got low.

Now we should have enough energy to keep everything powered, so long as the sun shines a bit.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
That's a very tidy job Robert.
You will have enough power to feed the whole site with all those panels. Where the heck did you find the space?

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
You will have enough power to feed the whole site with all those panels. Where the heck did you find the space?

Richard.
I removed the Air Con unit and re fitted the original fanned roof vent, which freed up enough space for two 80w panels.
Will post a pic of the roof tomorrow when it's light.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User

Richard.

The two 100w centre panels were the ones originally fittted by Vanbitz. The controllers were fitted in the small space above the oven.

IMG_5754.JPG

The two 60w panels at the rear, I added myself by using branch connectors onto the existing 4mm cables.

In adding the two 80w panels at the front, I re wired the system completely. Re routing with 3 pairs of 6mm cables, to the back of the van where my 4 leisure batteries are located.

I moved the existing controllers from above the oven, to the garage, adjacent to the batteries and added a controller.

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
You could sell some of that surplus power back to the National Grid.
It would pay for some of those restaurant bills. :D:D

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I sense an addiction :LOL:

I had a crazy idea whilst I was re wiring...........

Imagine if you could take the electric motors/dynamos off an electric car and fit them to the back wheels of a motorhome.
They would assist with braking, and generate loads of free electricity......
Which could be used to charge an Electric Car in the garage, like a Renault Twizy

renault-twizy-M09eph1-charging-003.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

You cold do away with your leisure batteries and instead connect directly to the batteries in the Electric car, therefore using the electric car as a massive leisure battery. Imagine how many espresso machines, beer coolers and hair dryers that could power

Plus - the electric motor/dynamos on the rear wheels of the motorhome could be used to create a 4 wheel drive option for emergencies, like getting stuck in mud.

What do you reckon?

Oct 30, 2010
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
I had a crazy idea whilst I was re wiring...........

Imagine if you could take the electric motors/dynamos off an electric car and fit them to the back wheels of a motorhome.
They would assist with braking, and generate loads of free electricity......
Which could be used to charge an Electric Car in the garage, like a Renault Twizy

renault-twizy-M09eph1-charging-003.jpg.ximg.l_full_m.smart.jpg

You cold do away with your leisure batteries and instead connect directly to the batteries in the Electric car, therefore using the electric car as a massive leisure battery. Imagine how many espresso machines, beer coolers and hair dryers that could power

Plus - the electric motor/dynamos on the rear wheels of the motorhome could be used to create a 4 wheel drive option for emergencies, like getting stuck in mud.

What do you reckon?
Absolutely brilliant idea, you should go for it.
Get the big hammer and hacksaw out and get to work cutting that Carthago up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, who would have thought a few years ago that F1 cars would be running with electric motors in them?
I never thought that I would ever consider a hybrid car, but I am now.

Could be the future Robert. (y)

Richard.

OP
OP
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Absolutely brilliant idea, you should go for it.
Get the big hammer and hacksaw out and get to work cutting that Carthago up. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Seriously though, who would have thought a few years ago that F1 cars would be running with electric motors in them?
I never thought that I would ever consider a hybrid car, but I am now.

Could be the future Robert. (y)

Richard.

I've got all the bits I need

Got the Motorhome
Got an electric car
Got a BIG chainsaw

What could possibly go wrong ?

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
The two 100w centre panels were the ones originally fittted by Vanbitz. The controllers were fitted in the small space above the oven.

View attachment 132876

The two 60w panels at the rear, I added myself by using branch connectors onto the existing 4mm cables.

In adding the two 80w panels at the front, I re wired the system completely. Re routing with 3 pairs of 6mm cables, to the back of the van where my 4 leisure batteries are located.

I moved the existing controllers from above the oven, to the garage, adjacent to the batteries and added a controller.

Wow all that solar and your still on hook up or is it a 240v outlet and Mrs C has the tumble drier plugged in

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back