Portuguese road tolls

Discussion in 'Portugal' started by Jenowen, Jul 11, 2016.

1. Jenowen

Jenowen Funster

We are planning a trip through Portugal in the autumn and I understand that it is necessary to have some kind of pass to use Portuguese toll roads. Whilst we hope to avoid tolls and motorways we would like to be prepared in case we need to follow one. Can anyone tell me where I buy one of these? Can I buy it online before travelling or do I need to cross the border to get one? Are there specific border posts where they are available?
    Thanks in advance for your help. J

2. Robert Clark

Robert Clark Funster Life Member

Some toll roads take cash payments
    Others are electronic, with cameras above the road

We spent hours trying to find the way for foreign registered vehicles to pay - but gave up as its a beautocratic nightmare.

Use the roads as you need and if they send you a letter asking for payment when you get home - pay them

• Like Like x 2
  3. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    It is not actually that difficult if you do a little research beforehand, there are automatic registering machines when entering Portugal at at least 2 of the major crossing points, the A22 in the south and another one in the north.

I cannot post links at the moment but I will try later, google Portugal Electronic Toll Roads and you should come up with something.

It is possible to create an account online but is a little complicated, there is no facility for post payment and they do keep records although the chances of being caught are slim.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jenowen

Jenowen Funster

Thanks for this information, it seems very complicated! I'll check it out on line.....and work out routes where we don't have to contemplate breaking the law!

5. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

I couldn't understand it last year, nor could the people I was travelling with
    Lol

• Like Like x 1
  6. Baldeagle7470

Baldeagle7470 Funster

Don't worry,meant of my Portuguese friends don't really understand it,
    I have asked some of my English speaking friends to explain and strangely they all start to stutter :(

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Look out for the tourist signs when you enter the system ; A28 - Viana do Castelo; A24 - Chaves; A25 – Vilar Formoso; A22 – Vila Real de Santo António. Use a card in that machine. You'll get a receipt which should be kept to prove you have paid

When you sign up it costs 0.60€+VAT and each journey has an administrative cost of 0.26€+VAT Plus toll.

Payments will come out a month or two later. Maybe.. maybe not.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Jenowen

Jenowen Funster

That's really helpful. Thanks Jim. I'll mark these routes on the map, ready to sort this one out. All seems such an interesting way of travelling!

9. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you enter on one of the major routes there could be a lane for foreign cars which takes you to a barrier. I couldn't get the machine to do anything but that was because I had stopped too far from the barrier and the camera couldn't read my number plate. When we pulled forward it suddenly woke up! I can't remember the details but I used my debit card and in theory I should have been charged as I used the toll roads but I never saw anything come out of my account subsequently. But I wouldn't count on that and the charges are quite high where we were in the Algarve.

• Like Like x 1
  10. seanoo

seanoo Funster

have the tolls on the A22 been suspended yet?

11. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    No and not likely to be,election promises and politicians!!.........sound familiar.

At the moment they are discussing reducing the tolls........don't hold your breath!

• Like Like x 2
  12. seanoo

seanoo Funster

shame , not that it makes much difference to alot of people who just drive on it anyway.

13. Geejay

Geejay Funster

• Informative Informative x 1