Portsmouth to Santander or Bilbao ferry, salt damaged paintwork (1 Viewer)

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
I have a large motorhome which was parked on the open deck of Brittany Ferries Baie De Seine ferry during our last winter crossing to Spain. The sea was rough across Biscay with winds blowing spray over the vehicle open deck, covering all vehicles parked upon it with salt water spray. My MH was covered in salt upon arrival in Spain. After having washed the vehicle it was realised the paintwork has lost its high gloss shine. A recent engineers paintwork diagnosis reports the paintwork has been surface damaged by salt ingress. I invite comment from others who have experienced similar salt experiences on these open deck ferries.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Happens all the time, if the paint is not too badly affected, often a good light cutting polish will bring it back followed by hours of waxing. "Red" btw is one of the worst to be affected by "atmospheric" pollution, I am not at all sure of the chemistry, could be sunlight? but I spent a lot of time on an old Mini once, which had stood outside for years, just "cutting" and polishing.

We used to see it all the time on the trucks that regularly used the North Sea Crossings, in the 70`s.

You have my sympathy though, I have spent DAYS just cleaning and polishing my R-V after a winter in Spain!, there seems to be never ending acres, still to be done!. And cleaning the old style "rubber" roof`s!!! ?

Augusta08

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2015
Morbihan
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Augusta
Exp
Since 2001
I wax the MoHo with Carnauba wax before traveling. The salt can be really harsh on the gel coat otherwise.

OP
OP
Peatmoor

Peatmoor

Free Member
Aug 19, 2014
Matlock Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Premium Liner
Exp
Since 1986
I wax the MoHo with Carnauba wax before traveling. The salt can be really harsh on the gel coat otherwise.
My large motorhome had just had a £950-00 Diamond Glaze paint treatment 3 weeks prior to the crossing to Spain, but the salt has eaten into the treatment. It now requires a full "T cut" and a re-treatment.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Drive round next time? That will stop it happening again lol

I have seen vans ruined by parking on sandy beaches and strong winds overnight have sand blasted them

One of my slide out toppers ripped in high winds in June

These things happen and no one is to blame or should be held responsible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
We were on the outside deck on the Cap Finistere in our gold PVC on the Bilbao to Portsmouth crossing when the beast from the East hit. We were hosed off I presume on arrival as we could see OK! The paintwork was fine, perhaps we were lucky, maybe Tourershine works or maybe some people want to blame badluck on someone. It's weather, if you don't like it then travel on Pont Aven or drive through France via the tunnel. Pont Aven is the only one that has enclosed decks for all vehicles at the moment.

Jun 22, 2012
Sherborne Dorset
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2012
I don’t think the OP was looking to blame anyone just asking for comments by others that have suffered the same?
I’m sure you’re right but there have been other threads when people have complained , blaming Brittany ferries so my apologies. I would blame my hormones for being a grumpy old bag but they’re long gone so I’m just a grumpy old bag.

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We regularly cross to Spain using Brittany Ferries and have on many occasions been white with salt.

But we have never suffered any paint damage.

I wonder if the "Diamond glaze" is not as robust as they advertise?

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I took some pals on a 4WD drive tour today to see the big waves as the wind was howling today. As usual, I stop after 10 mins and wipe the windows with a cloth :)

We got home and the car was white with salt.

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I have a large motorhome which was parked on the open deck of Brittany Ferries Baie De Seine ferry during our last winter crossing to Spain. The sea was rough across Biscay with winds blowing spray over the vehicle open deck, covering all vehicles parked upon it with salt water spray. My MH was covered in salt upon arrival in Spain. After having washed the vehicle it was realised the paintwork has lost its high gloss shine. A recent engineers paintwork diagnosis reports the paintwork has been surface damaged by salt ingress. I invite comment from others who have experienced similar salt experiences on these open deck ferries.
My heart goes out to you.
We were also on the outside and had £3000 of damage. Brittany blamed god, the insurance blamed Brittany. God wouldn't comment.

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
My heart goes out to you.
We were also on the outside and had £3000 of damage. Brittany blamed god, the insurance blamed Brittany. God wouldn't comment.
WOW. How come it was so much to rectify what did they do?

May 29, 2014
southampton
Funster No
MH
A frame
Exp
since 1985
Thats really terrible,I assume that ferry was shipping green ones over the bow. Was the rear of the van facing the bow of ship.
Should I find myself in a similar situation I will fit the winter covers on fridge vents.
how did the carpets get flooded through the fridge vents maybe something wrong there as the fridge rear is mean't to be sealed from interior worth checking.
Sounds like you had a terrible voyage!

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
We found the usual crap workmanship didn't include sealing the fridge so water just came in freely. Fridge vent on the roof was the issue.
Never done a Portsmouth to Bilbao again and never will.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back