Portsmouth to Bilbao Ferry

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by ford, May 28, 2011.

1. ford

ford Read Only Funster

Evening Funsters:welcomefunster:

We are considering crossing on the Postsmouth to Bilbao ferry in September. We usually use the tunnel and travel down to the South of France :france: and back up. We thought it might save some time and money. We wondered what experiences you might have had with this crossing. Is it likely to be an uncomfortable crossing? We are in a dilemma.:help:

:helptitanic:

2. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

I personaally prefer Plymouth to Santandar..

Bit shorter trip, nice sailing times and arrival, "Pont Avent" (Or similar name ) ship never had any problems with weather, ship has good stabalisers..

Not sure about costings,,,, I think it is a bit dearer from Portsmouth..

And as said my personel opinion...... I cannot stand Bilbao, seems a hassle getting out onto the open road,,, where by within 10 - 15 mins you can be on the main road out of Santandar heading South..

And a nice port to wait on your return, right in the middle of a lovely town, with bars shops etc just outside the port and across the road..

And being that bit further down the coast cuts a few miles off your trip..

But if you are doubling back to France I suppose Bilbao makes sense.

Horses for courses.. :thumb:

3. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

We are currently in Spain having travelled from Portsmouth to Santander with no problems, friends of ours who came to Spain earlier and so left earlier travelled here from Plymouth to Santander again no problems.

For there return hearing that parking early for the ferry at Santander can be a problem chose to return from Bilbao to Portsmouth, they have since informed us never again, apparently the dock to ship ramp is at a severe angle and if you have a large rear over hang ( like most American RVs have :Blush:) the dock staff were having to place wood board to prevent grounding.

How this helps ?

Mick:thumb:

4. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

The wood is placed under the rear wheels before grounding occurs thereby easing the angle and preventing the grounding (I hope)

5. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I travelled a few times with P&O who have now pulled out of that route. I think it is just Brittany Ferries left to Bilbao and Santander, or you can use the "land bridge" route with LD Ferries to France then St Nazaire to Gijon.

The crossing were ok, but you are a bit of a prisoner to their, food , coffee, and beer which was always expensive as you are captive customers.:cry:

Biscay can be notorious at any time of year, especially the swell. Even a well stabilised ship can move a lot in a swell of several metres. :Eeek:

I only used that route as I got free crossings. :thumb:
    The prices are expensive in my opinion, and the LD route was a lot cheaper the direct Uk to Spain, when I priced it earlier this year.
    Getting out of the port in Bilbao was no problem, 5 minutes up the hill and you are on the autorute to go East or West or back to the City Centre..

6. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    We have done both of these the Bilboa is now better as its now one night out it was two, santander is a good exit to the motorway, not had any real trouble with the weather crossing but it can be bad in the Bay of Biscay so I have been told, a good deal more expensive but your a lot further down than dunkirk/calais so either port will do for this. Pete

7. wivvy's dad

wivvy's dad Read Only Funster

My two penn'orth would be that if you are still intending on travelling to the South of France, it's still a long way to there from Bilbao, and if you are on the motorway, it's much less scenic compared with travelling down through France, if you are in any sort of hurry to get there.

On the other hand, if you have plenty of time, traversing the Pyrenees is very pleasant, but will take up a lot of time.

Just my opinion borne from experience at the end of the day, and I'm sure others may well disagree.

8. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

Wasn't that what I said? :Doh:

Mick