Poor on gas (1 Viewer)

Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Fridge decided to stop working on gas while away. Removed burner, cleaned with compressed air reassembled.
Made no difference. Clouted gas valve with spanner several times and gas ignited.
However not usual roar and not cooling efficiently.
Looking to change gas valve when I get home.
Any other ideas before I spend £140.00?
Fine on 230v.

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Fridge decided to stop working on gas while away. Removed burner, cleaned with compressed air reassembled.
Made no difference. Clouted gas valve with spanner several times and gas ignited.
However not usual roar and not cooling efficiently.
Looking to change gas valve when I get home.
Any other ideas before I spend £140.00?
Fine on 230v.

What burner type do you have, the tube with slots or the round type?
1692456318213.png

1692456330916.png

Have you checked that the hole in the jet is clear?

1692456647204.png

Last edited:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you have the type of fridge with a manual selector switch for gas, 12v or 240v then it is possible this is faulty. I know of two cases, including ours, where this has been the culprit. I you can get to the switch then (when not on 240v!) try squeezing it and see if that makes any difference. These fridges have two states for the flame, a pilot light state where it burns at a low level then the stronger flame which roars a bit which is the one which does the cooling. The contacts in the switch can get worn. You could try first just cycling the switch 20 or more times from one position to another in an attempt to clean the contacts. If this doesn't work then you need to look at it more closely.

There are several chains in the system which control the gas and inevitably there is a degree of trial and error required to locate the fault but I wouldn't recommend shelling out on an expensive valve before you have looked at other possible causes.

OP
OP
jeddy
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
If you have the type of fridge with a manual selector switch for gas, 12v or 240v then it is possible this is faulty. I know of two cases, including ours, where this has been the culprit. I you can get to the switch then (when not on 240v!) try squeezing it and see if that makes any difference. These fridges have two states for the flame, a pilot light state where it burns at a low level then the stronger flame which roars a bit which is the one which does the cooling. The contacts in the switch can get worn. You could try first just cycling the switch 20 or more times from one position to another in an attempt to clean the contacts. If this doesn't work then you need to look at it more closely.

There are several chains in the system which control the gas and inevitably there is a degree of trial and error required to locate the fault but I wouldn't recommend shelling out on an expensive valve before you have looked at other possible causes.
Automatic changeover. Also tried manual selection.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Valves are relatively cheap. You need to find out the valve serial number then you can get them for something like £5. The Dometic service centres, caravan parts suppliers will tell you different!!!! I bought 3 a while back, pre Covid, but for the life of me I can’t remember where from.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Just checked I think this is what I ordered. Best to check size etc.https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/orkli-thermocouple-replacement-magnetic-valve-13mm.html?currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IGnBhDUARIsAMwFDLnsq0VKS38iHZTEuZDgnVXGdt75sieZICpYtrLyz_X06-b0sSoVlaMaAp2IEALw_wcB

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
Hi, not sure if you can see the previous link.

7D5E7BB9-4B0B-4949-8031-A6B7856F1641.png

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jeddy
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
Just checked I think this is what I ordered. Best to check size etc.https://www.gasproducts.co.uk/orkli-thermocouple-replacement-magnetic-valve-13mm.html?currency=GBP&gclid=Cj0KCQjw0IGnBhDUARIsAMwFDLnsq0VKS38iHZTEuZDgnVXGdt75sieZICpYtrLyz_X06-b0sSoVlaMaAp2IEALw_wcB
The gas valve I’m referring to is a cylinder containing a solenoid. Gas enters one side from the cylinder and exits the other to the burner. It is known to sometimes stick. Hence the spanner trick😂

Two on Tour

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 16, 2016
Near the junction of the A14 and A1, Cambs
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 175
Exp
Since 2010
Round type. Removed jet and blasted with compressed air. Cleaned burner.
Mine is the round type and it decided it was not going to give me much of a flame on our first day in France a couple of months back.
I changed it for my spare burner at the time to continue our trip, but when we got back I cleaned the original burner by giving it a series of good taps on the workbench to loosen the crud and rust and then poked out the holes in the burner ring with a welding nozzle tip cleaner which released some carbon deposits that had built up.
I used a fine sowing needle from both sides of the hole in the jet to make sure that was clear, but be careful not to be too rough and enlarge the jet hole.
A good blow out with compressed air to clear any remaining debris and I then refitted it and put the spare burner back in the spares box for another day.
The original burner now roaring away like a good un.

These are the nozzle cleaners I used.

Amazon product ASIN B075L7CR1F

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
Mine is the round type and it decided it was not going to me much of a flame on our first day in France a couple of months back.
I changed it for my spare burner at the time to continue our trip, but when we got back I cleaned the original burner by giving it a good series of taps on the work bench to loosen the crud and rust and then poked out the holes in the burner ring with a welding nozzle tip cleaner which released some carbon deposits.
I used a fine sowing needle from both sides of the hole in the jet to make sure that was clear, but be careful not to be too rough and enlarge the jet hole.
A good blow out with compressed air to clear any remaining debris and I then refitted it and put the spare burner back for another day.
The original burner now roaring away like a good un.

These are the nozzle cleaners I used.

Amazon product ASIN B075L7CR1F
I used fuse wire when I was working, it's strong enough to do the job but not strong enough to do any damage, sometimes for a very small lpg injector I used a bristle from a paint brush.

Jan 12, 2020
Funster No
MH
Burstner i681
Exp
Since 2018
The gas valve I’m referring to is a cylinder containing a solenoid. Gas enters one side from the cylinder and exits the other to the burner. It is known to sometimes stick. Hence the spanner trick😂
Maybe we are at cross purpose. This is the ‘sticky’ solenoid part inside the valve.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
jeddy
Mar 12, 2021
Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Malvern
Exp
Since 1999
The gas ignites and continues to burn. The temperature in the freezer was around zero this morning with some icing on floor. Some cooling taking place. Other than burner issue what else could be causing low flame? It’s as if just the pilot light is lit.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back