Plugging a jackery power bank into a solar circuit (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
I recently bought a Jackery power bank (240) to help run off grid for the odd day ‘ weekend, This led me on to install a 100w solar panel to assist with charging the leisure battery and to recharge the power bank.

I planned on wiring the solar panel into a Victron 75/10 and when I needed to divert the solar input to my Jackery I would unplug the Victron 75/10 and plug in my Jackery power bank. The Jackery has a built in solar controller so cannot run via the Victron mppt controller Hence, having to unplug and plug in the Jackery lead to the solar panel rather than hooking it up to the Victron 75/10.

To do that I was going have a pair of MC4 connectors in line, between the solar panel and the Victron. However, I have read in various places that it is unsafe (dangerous even) to unplug MC4 connectors under load. This can lead to electrical arcs and fire etc.

I’m now a bit stuck and need some advice from anyone that’s solved this issue of possible? Here are the scenarios I think I have:

1. T off of the solar cables and plug in my Jackery lead (it’s a two MC4 lead into a DC 8mm Jack). Would this work? / be safe to do? I would leave this permanently connected the the 8mm Jack free to plug into the Jackery power bank? After all, the Jackery is capable of plugging directly into a solar panel without isolating the panel?

2. Buy an isolator and fit it between the solar panel & the MC4 connectors. I could then isolate the solar panel and disconnect the MC4 connectors and hook them up to my Jackery lead. Downside is that the available DC isolators that can cope with two poles (for the negative & positive cables from the solar panel) are quite big and expensive.

3. Charging the Jackery from the 12v circuit (the leisure battery) will take far longer than directly from the solar panel. But ultimately, I could do that - just wire the solar panel to the leisure battery and negate the issues of how to plug the Jackery into the solar circuit.

any ideas anyone?

Bobby-gg

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 28, 2020
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Ducato IH pvc
Exp
Since 2010
Haven't you just recently asked this question on Facebook?
If you didn't, someone else asked exactly the same question!

I'd say charge from your existing 12v system rather than break into your solar side, that way you can also charge whilst on the move

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The only problem with unplugging MC4 connectors is that it's a right pig without the proper tool.
Why not just fit a changeover switch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Haven't you just recently asked this question on Facebook?
If you didn't, someone else asked exactly the same question!

I'd say charge from your existing 12v system rather than break into your solar side, that way you can also charge whilst on the move
You’re right Bobby - it was me!

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
Could you not purchase the folding jackery solar panel. My thoughts are if you are sharing the solar panel that's connected to the leisure battery both batteries will take longer to recharge. It might be worth it to keep your jackery separate from van so you always have enough power. The jackery solar panels look quite slim when folded.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
The only problem with unplugging MC4 connectors is that it's a right pig without the proper tool.
Why not just fit a changeover switch.
Cheers Lenny. Have you got a recommendation? (as you can tell, I have no clue about electrics)

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Could you not purchase the folding jackery solar panel. My thoughts are if you are sharing the solar panel that's connected to the leisure battery both batteries will take longer to recharge. It might be worth it to keep your jackery separate from van so you always have enough power. The jackery solar panels look quite slim when folded.
I had thought about this but, they’re not the cheapest and also, I don’t want them getting nicked. I’m about out of room on my MH roof now.

the whole reason I bought the Jackery is that I’ll be going to a motorsports event and camping there the weekend. There’s no EHU so hence I’m trying to get myself sufficient never having used the MH off grid before.

infact, the campsite we stayed on last weekend actually had electrical issues and their mains supply failed several times. We then discovered that our leisure battery was infact knackered and it all the time we thought it was ok. It turns out that we think that the van had been drawing off the vehicle battery. That failed when we tried to leave the site on Monday morning. Had to get the AA out to get us going. So I’ve now got a new leisure battery and vehicle battery.

OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Actually, i’ve just seen that eco worthy do a portable 100w briefcase panel for just over £100. It’s definitely worth considering that option.

Nov 21, 2021
Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Amethyst
Exp
Newbie, former van camper and still wild camper
I don't have a jackery type battery but I like the look of them and like how versatile it could be having the flexibility to move it into home and camping etc. A couple we go away with has a similar set up they pop out the folding panel and direct it at sun for a few hours per day, then put it away. On a night they run their TV from jackery bank. The couple don't have solar on caravan though.

Jan 16, 2014
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 854f
Exp
Since 2012
Use a change over switch like here

If you want to proceed with standalone folding panels, I've bought 2 of these for my Anker 767 and impressed with quality and output

Screenshot_20230416_221526_Chrome.jpg

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back