Plug in tuning box.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Vlad The Impaler, Feb 17, 2014.

1. Vlad The Impaler

Vlad The Impaler Funster

2. Fireman Sam

Fireman Sam Funster

I hope you get some replies, as I am thinking about it also.

Mike

3. gordoncbrown

gordoncbrown Funster

Me too.

4. keith

keith Funster

5. Daifuse

Daifuse

6. Scattycat

Scattycat Funster

I put something similar on my last van that had a 2.8 Citroen engine in it.

The setting up took a bit of playing around because you could set it for torque or economy or a balance in between

I put it on just before our trip to Spain and Portugal and on fuel economy I reckon it paid for itself on the trip so anything after that I considered it a bonus

Also I found it pulled a little better on the steep gradients

So they're a :thumb: from me

• Like Like x 1
  7. lee52

lee52 Funster

defo worth it my vectra is running a dtuk box decated etc.. been on the rolling road and got 196bhp 150 as stock and a lot more torque and when you drive it steady defo more mpg ( i do pizza deliverys on the nite time), but if you have a onboard mpg display dont believe it basically the box makes the engine think it has low fuel rail pressure so the engine compensates this then throws out the mpg display so u will think your getting more than you really are

8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

all it does is increase fuel rail pressure thus injects more fuel in the same injection 'open' time.
    As it injects more fuel it cannot be more economical but will produce more unburnt fuel at the exhaust.

A proper remap alters injector timing, injection 'open' period, rail pressure and other parameters within the induction system to ensure the extra fuel is burnt efficiently.

If it increased power AND used less fuel the engine manufacturers would use the same parameters as these so called 'tuning' boxes use.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2014
    • Like Like x 3
  9. lee52

lee52 Funster

your right theres no better thn real remap however the box does work
    it does produce more power when on boost (adding extra diesel can give u a bigger bang thus more boost more quickly) if you go to far to the point your blowing coal out of the back then yes its just wasted fuel, more bhp can give you more mpg to a certain extent for example I had a 3.6 jag auto and my father in law had a 2.9 manual and the 3.6 auto defo had better mpg ( even the jag hand book rated the 3.6 auto as 4 mpg more than the 2.9)

the tuning box I have ties in with the boost sensor so it plays with that as well so when not on boost it holds everything back but when on boost it all goes a bit silly lol . done 10k without the box and 13k with the box defo a big improvement more drivable more fun but when I want it to be its all civilised did a 246mile round trip and got 64mpg (filled tank to brim before trip and after then worked out mpg)

• Like Like x 1
  10. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there was mention recently that if a plug in booster is seen in use during an mot it will result in a fail

as already said, the only thing these boxes do is to mess with injector timing, often with the use of little more than a variable resistor in a sealed box

11. dshague

dshague Funster

fitted one when i owned a fiat x250 ,,100 multijet .5 speed ..mpg was better and on long inclines on motorway i did not have to change down,,

12. pandj

pandj Funster Life Member

I'm looking into one of these as well, the son popped in today and he's had one on his vw caddy for 3 weeks and he's well impressed, easy to fit (and remove) and if you change vehicle you can get it reprogrammed to your new one. He reckons it's upped performance and mpg, approx. 5mpg and he's lost the lag on acceleration, got his from Tdi tuning.
    Seriously thinking of getting one for the Boxer.

13. lee52

lee52 Funster

dunno bout the MOT my guy doesnt look that close lol (easy to unplug) but your right the nasty expensive (cheap ones) are just resistor the proper ones are controlled can be programmed with different profiles etc...

14. daveandsan

daveandsan Funster

Does it affect your insurance with these devices fitted? :Smile:

15. lee52

lee52 Funster

well anything that is not OEM will affect and need to be declared to your insurance company which I have done :Blush: lol

16. tjay

tjay Funster

plug in tuning

Hi,I have had one fitted to our motorhome (a Peugeot 2.2) standard 130 bhp after plug fitted up to 157 bhp.
    Fitted as we tow a trailer with our Mx5 on it to various shows here in UK and Abroad. was getting 26-27 mpg before fitting and now regularly get 32 mpg ! and 37 mpg driving solo !!
    Bought it off ebay from a company called the "Italian Box" £89 delivered fast delivery and easy to fit, been on our motorhome for 2 years now with no problems.
    Just done the same to my Audi A3 1.9 tdi so will see how that goes, lot quicker of the mark and am getting 68mpg when on cruise at 69mph on the motorway:BigGrin::BigGrin:

ps told insurance it was as I towed and it made no difference

• Like Like x 1
  17. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

you should notify them as it will increase the bhp of the engine and significantly affect the vehicles performance. chances are they will note it down but no increase in premium. however if you fail to notify them and later have an accident and an inspection shows it fitted, then your insurance can be voided. All accident damaged vehicles get inspected by an engineer to gauge condition and value etc and they specifically look for undeclared modifications

i am not calling anyone on here stupid, but only a fool fails to declare an engine modification to their insurer. it can be a very expensive mistake to make