Please excuse my complete ignorance of solar, but I need some advice. (1 Viewer)

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
Right, story so far, I was given this solar panel by a friend & I got round to looking at it today.
I tested the voltage (probably irrelevant) & it was knocking out 24v while it was in the shade, I couldn't test it in any other way, but thought that seemed good?

Now to my main point, what sort of controller do I need to make good use of the panel? Perhaps thats an over simplified question, but as I say, apart from our solar array on the house I know diddly squat about solar panels.
Sp 2.jpg

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
An MPPT controller will give the best results Victron blue smart are about the best, Votronic MPP range are also good. Cheap MPPT controller often aren't MPPT controllers just cheap Chinese stuff.

A Victron Blue solar MPPT 75/15 or a Votronic MPP 260 duo dig.
For something cheaper have a look at the Renogy range.

Oct 29, 2016
Surrey
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
Motor Homing 5 years, caravan previously
Hi Robert, as Lenny said.(y)
I use a Victron 75/15 MPPT Blue Smart Controller for our 200watt mono solar panel, with built in Bluetooth connected to Victron Phone App, so I can see what solar has been harvested over the day and the last month, plus battery volatge and charge status.
Simple to wire up pos/neg from solar panel into the controller, then pos/neg out to leisure batteries with an in-line fuse to protect and isolate if required. We have used the van cabling which was 6mm, but all depends on the distance from solar panel to controller, then onto battery bank, you might get away with 4mm in most cases.
I think the votronic MPPT Controller will charge the cab battery also, which is a consideration, but I have a Vanbitz Battery Master to trickle charge the cab battery from the leisure bank.
Good luck buddy.
LES

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
Probably worth testing the panel output before going to all the trouble of fixing it to the roof. I am guessing it is a second hand panel.
To test connect an ammeter across the terminals and expose to good sunlight, the spec says it should be 12.13amps. If it is seriously below this figure, you don't have enough sunshine or the panel is duff.

Geoff

Oct 30, 2016
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Le voyageur 8.5
Exp
On 3rd van so not a total newbie....
Probably worth testing the panel output before going to all the trouble of fixing it to the roof. I am guessing it is a second hand panel.
To test connect an ammeter across the terminals and expose to good sunlight, the spec says it should be 12.13amps. If it is seriously below this figure, you don't have enough sunshine or the panel is duff.

Geoff
To test for current, does it not have to be under load?

Reactions: JJ
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
To test for current, does it not have to be under load?
Normally, to connect an ammeter across the terminals of a power source like a battery is a perfect way to totally fry your ammeter, or at least blow its internal fuse. However a solar panel isn't like a battery. If you directly short the output in bright sunlight, the maximum current (amps) you are likely to get is the 'Short Circuit Current, Isc', which in this case is 12.13A. It's listed on the label spec. The ammeter (ie the meter set to measure Amps) acts like a short circuit.

Nov 13, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
30 years
No. Just an ammeter straight across the terminals. It is in fact short circuiting the panel, that's how it is done.

Geoff

OP
OP
ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
I came to be given the panel by someone who had hired an "Auto Electrician" who it turns out knew now't about electrics.
The panel was almost new but the conman convinced the owner that everything on the motorhome was faulty.
For example he completely replaced the reading lights to instal LED reading lights instead of replacing the bulbs.
He stole bits from my friend & massively overcharged as well as kept new bits he bought.
So I believe the panel to be in good order & I'm busy trying to help my unfortunate friend get his motorhome back together.

I'll name & shame once the court case is over.

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
I came to be given the panel by someone who had hired an "Auto Electrician" who it turns out knew now't about electrics.
The panel was almost new but the conman convinced the owner that everything on the motorhome was faulty.
For example he completely replaced the reading lights to instal LED reading lights instead of replacing the bulbs.
He stole bits from my friend & massively overcharged as well as kept new bits he bought.
So I believe the panel to be in good order & I'm busy trying to help my unfortunate friend get his motorhome back together.

I'll name & shame once the court case is over.
Looking forward to that! 🍿

Feb 14, 2021
Milton Keynes, UK
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 727G
Exp
19 month year 18000 miles UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy. Campsites and off Grid.
I have just got a Victron Smart (Bluetooth) MTTP controller which is great for monitoring batteries and panel performance through the app.

Previously I had a NDS Sun Control which also does the job nicely. One of the good things about these is they have 2 outputs so you can connect to your starter battery too. The 2nd output will deliver a 1 amp trickle charge to the starter battery.

Karmann 97

Free Member
May 26, 2021
Funster No
MH
VW Karmann Colorado
An MPPT controller will give the best results Victron blue smart are about the best, Votronic MPP range are also good. Cheap MPPT controller often aren't MPPT controllers just cheap Chinese stuff.

A Victron Blue solar MPPT 75/15 or a Votronic MPP 260 duo dig.
For something cheaper have a look at the Renogy range.
I agree, the victron is fantastic. Its great that you can control it from your phone too. I had a spark mppt originally and allthough it worked fine it was basic.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back