Please don't leak

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Dave the builder, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Dave the builder

Dave the builder Funster

Hi very new to this just bought 1st motor home and a bit paranoid about getting a leak somewhere. I bought privately so no comebacks. Not that I have a leak but prevention is better than cure. Now my question is do I need to reseal the seams or around roof light,vents ect. I have had visual look and the sealant appears to be oozing out around the seams. I understand that this would happen when the seams are screwed down. But I don't know if it is from manufacturer or done since, I would have thought it would have been tidied up if original.
    Anyway. Is this part of the maintenance programme or am I being silly and need to stop worrying?
    Any input would be welcomed.
    Thanks Dave.

2. Speve

Speve Funster

I would stop worrying but if you are concerned. Get yourself a damp meter and check it out,if the seams are ousing sealant I personally would not do anything to them.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Hi Dave

If sealant is oozing out at least you know they put enough there in the first place.

What have you bought?

Damp meter, is a good precaution.

Martin

Edit read your intro thread and you are right not heard of it.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  4. Dave the builder

Dave the builder Funster

Thanks Steve sure you are right it's just I know what damage water can do especially if gets under the skin and you don't see it for a while.There I go again told you I was paranoid!!

5. Speve

Speve Funster

Just get on and enjoy your van, if it's damp you'll probably smell it or may be signs of mildew etc.
    You can spend your life worrying about it get out there and use it.(y)(y)(y)

6. goneoff

goneoff Funster

I shouldn't worry unless there is something obvious to worry about and if it does leak it can be fixed............it's not the end of the world. If you are really worried get a mobile motorhome/caravan guy out with a damp meter, shouldn't cost you more than £150.00 and no you shouldn't have to reseal all the joints.

7. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

I've got a new van and the sealant oozes out in places mainly in places you can't see (roof) so wouldn't worry too much at least it suggest it's sealed
    After a number of years am sure a lot of vans have some form of damp but will still have many years of use left in it
    Keep on top of it as best you can and enjoy