Phone unlock?

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Terry, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi a friend has been given her sons old Iphone 4 hes upgraded to a 5 (I THINK)
    it's on orange and she has taken it into unlocking shop who told her it cannot be done and offered to buy it :BigGrin: IS he trying his luck or info correct?
    terry

2. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Sounds cheap to me but I know nothing about these new fangled multi pirpose gadgets, I still have my old faithfull Nokia 9310:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Peter

3. ukbill

ukbill Funster

tell your friend to ask the supplier for the unlock code if it is out of contract they should do it as for unlocking from a shop on a iphone i aint sure if they can or not

4. bungy

bungy Funster

5. Cyclewalkbob

Cyclewalkbob Funster

My daughter gave me her old 3GS IPhone and I managed to get it unlocked at one of the many local £ shops.

However they did say you cannot upgrade the software as it will then revert to locked mode.

6. keith

keith Funster

There are many on Ebay saying they are unlocked but some say avoid unlocking via "Jailbreak"

I have seen reports saying this will not last, something to do with updating the OS.

Edit: Beat me to it Bob

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  7. lorger

lorger Funster

Terry if you go on to the orange website they should do it some do it free and some have a charge normally about £20 if you go to one of these local shops they will charge you £60 and just do it through the website.

We bought Sophie an IPhone 4S from someone who had got it new as part of their contract and didn't want it it was with Vodafone and as I was a Vodafone customer they sent me the code by text free of charge local shop wanted £60

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi all thanks for all replies :Smile: she has bought a sim card that allows her to use it on Orange but wants to use it with her contract 3 phone, who should she contact ? Orange or 3 ?
    I assume her sons on Orange as it take the Orange PAY go sim so if she gave it back to him would Orange give him a code to unlock? Or does she ring 3 ? S orry to sound a bit thick but I am getting 2nd hand information
    Terry

9. pablomc

pablomc Funster Life Member

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013