Petition - Save Baltic Wharf CC Site (1 Viewer)

Jul 26, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
since May 2010
I am a local resident! I can see the campsite from my windows! I am proud of my city! :cry:

Bristol is slowing growing it's tourism revenue and closing this site would be extremely detrimental to this. The ferry company nearly went bust last year so they have an obvious interest in keeping the site open, but I cannot see any harm in this. Residents don't use the ferries, but tourists do!

I don't see Baltic Wharf as a preferable alternative to Wapping Road. It is no better situated. In fact Wapping Road is closer to several blocks of flats. However I think neither site is suited to a school.

A well supported petition will succeed in getting this decision making process out in the open :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Reading the posts there are some valid arguments on both sides of the fence.

I signed the petition purely on the grounds of trying to encourage an open discussion about these things. Having worked with councils in the past I know just how frequently they do things through their own self-interest and NOT the interests of those they represent.

[HI]We are supposed to live in a democracy where those voted in are supposed to 'represent' the interests of those they 'represent'.[/HI]

If, after an open and fair dialogue, they decide to build a school or luxury flats, then that is fair-dos, but only after everyone has had a chance to voice their concerns.

Personally, I would vote for the equivalent of an aire in every town and city above a certain population. But hey, I have a little self-interest in this and I doubt those who don't have MHs or caravans give two bent three penny bits about having them :Smile:

I agree - but what we have seen presented does not show that the council's actions do not "'represent' the interests of those they 'represent'" - i.e. that the decision is not, overall, in the public interest. Also, our democratic system of voting in representatives is so that they can make decisions.

As Broken Link Removed shows, the CC had lengthy negotiations with Bristol City Council - so it isn't a decision taken suddenly and completely behind closed doors. In fact, it appears that the council has taken into account the various conflicting interests in making its decision.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

FM02MZO

Free Member
Jun 22, 2012
Castle Donington
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
30 years caravan, 2 year motorhome
I have signed it, but I think that the deal as already been done, and the backhanders have been paid

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!
My word shiffty, what a rant !!

Flogging a dead horse, having looked at the location, prime site and the chances of a few motorhomers, who don’t even live in the area, of changing the council’s minds is ZERO.
Indeed why the hell are we trying to help the Caravan Club on MHF? If you are that bothered join CC an fight it from there. I doubt if they would help anyone for free.

They have enough money to buy some land and take it from there, not depend on the council to provide land for their use.

Hang on don’t the local authorities have to do the same for Gypsies and Irish Travelers by law?

Oh, yes if you want to book in at the above...
Only avaliable dates are
5th May
15th October
3rd, 13th, 16th. 19th, 26th November
[HI]Otherwise its FULL[/HI]

I would imagine that quite a few funsters are in the C.C. We certainly are and have been to this site You stick to your MH in a field somewhere and we will try to change the minds of the proletariat in Bristol !!

As Foxy said...."Power to the people!":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Highlighted sentence says it all in my book !:Cool::Cool::Cool:

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thanks everyone for bumping this and for signing. Still a way to go but getting there.

So far we have:

1407 signatures:

1057 online signatures
350 signatures on paper

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Having just read an article in the Bristol Post about this decision I think the real organization which is at fault is the Caravan Club (CC).

They have leased this land from Bristol City Council (BCC) for over 36 years with a clause that BCC only have to give them 6 months notice to move. Local businesses have come to rely on this site for some of their Winter Income.

Surely, over the 36 years the CC could have and should have been looking for a suitable alternative which they could purchase and then this problem would not be occurring.

Local businesses would feel more secure if the CC site was permanent. The CC members would have a site which they could go to with having to concern themselves if it will be available next year, etc.

BCC have given the required 6 months notice to end the lease, in fact they have given them longer than is legally required as this article was written in March and the lease does not expire until the end of 2014. The CC appear to have accepted the notice and are actively looking for alternative sites/premises. Horse and stable door seem to come to mind regarding the CC on this matter.

With all their members there does not appear to be a lot of support from CC members for the petition. 375,000 family members, (over 1,000,000 members) (Info from CC website)

BCC have identified a parcel of land, which they already own, as a suitable place to build a 420 place primary school.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Having just read an article in the Bristol Post about this decision I think the real organization which is at fault is the Caravan Club (CC).

They have leased this land from Bristol City Council (BCC) for over 36 years with a clause that BCC only have to give them 6 months notice to move. Local businesses have come to rely on this site for some of their Winter Income.

[HI]Surely, over the 36 years the CC could have and should have been looking for a suitable alternative which they could purchase and then this problem would not be occurring.
[/HI]
Local businesses would feel more secure if the CC site was permanent. The CC members would have a site which they could go to with having to concern themselves if it will be available next year, etc.

[HI]BCC have given the required 6 months notice to end the lease, in fact they have given them longer than is legally required as this article was written in March and the lease does not expire until the end of 2014. The CC appear to have accepted the notice and are actively looking for alternative sites/premises. Horse and stable door seem to come to mind regarding the CC on this matter.[/HI]

With all their members there does not appear to be a lot of support from CC members for the petition. 375,000 family members, (over 1,000,000 members) (Info from CC website)

BCC have identified a parcel of land, which they already own, as a suitable place to build a 420 place primary school.

Looking at Google Maps there seems to be plenty of land close to at least two of the P&R sites which the CC could use for an alternative site.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
I know the CC are trying to negotiate with the council for somewhere else but my insider mole says they're not having much luck with them.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Latest campaign news

www.savebristolcampsite.com. website with petition - please sign if you haven't yet

Email from Matt the campaign organiser:

Hello Steph and John,

You've done some tremendous work in getting us to a mass of signatures that means we're stating to be taken seriously. The FOI request really adds some weight too.

The paper petition is doing well with over 350 already. Had an interview today the The Bristol Post who are putting the story in their newspaper this time rather than online. A bit of radio silence from Councillors but of about 5 replies with supporting messages and 2 actually signed too.

Next step is to push the paper petition, survey campers to add to our position and a film maker has volunteered to help us make a 3min summary of the campaign and our supporters. Might call you for a bit of voice over support if you're up for it?

All about timing we think. One phase at a time. We're doing really well!

Thanks again,

Matt

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Signed x2. Hope it helps.

We've not been to the site but some friends consider it one of their favourite sites.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
www.savebristolcampsite.com

Latest news from the campaign.

Hello Steph and John,

You've done some tremendous work in getting us to a mass of signatures that means we're stating to be taken seriously. The FOI request really adds some weight too.

The paper petition is doing well with over 350 already. Had an interview today the The Bristol Post who are putting the story in their newspaper this time rather than online. A bit of radio silence from Councillors but of about 5 replies with supporting messages and 2 actually signed too.

Next step is to push the paper petition, survey campers to add to our position and a film maker has volunteered to help us make a 3min summary of the campaign and our supporters. Might call you for a bit of voice over support if you're up for it?

All about timing we think. One phase at a time. We're doing really well!

Thanks again,

Matt

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Is there any way we can keep this at the top?

I have more news which I'll post separately but I wondered if there's any other way to keep this post at the top for a short while.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Hi all
If you haven't signed the petition please do so and then complete the survey below

Thanks
Steph

Dear friend of Baltic Wharf Campsite,

Firstly, thank you so much for signing our online petition! We´re making waves in such a short space of time. However, if we´re going to convince Bristol Councillors to listen to us then we need to be able to represent the opinions of as many people as possible. So, would you be kind enough to answer about 5 questions in our little survey please?

Please click here to start the Survey https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_07G0UMqsXilW7tj
...or copy this link into your browser: https://qtrial2014.az1.qualtrics.com/SE/?SID=SV_07G0UMqsXilW7tj

Bristol's local elections are taking place on the 22nd of May so the sooner we can get some responses the more pressure we can put on the Council. With just a little more thought we could keep a superb gateway to Bristol open.

Thanks again for your support!

All the best,

Matt & The SaveBristolCampsite Team
savebristolcampsite@outlook.com

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Did the survey a day or two ago, must have had an email?

Edit: Yes I did.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Thanks. Yes I had the email too. I just put it on here hoping to get to those who hadn't signed yet.
Is there any way to keep it at the top so I don't have to keep 'bumping' it up?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Jim reads all posts, eventually I suppose, he'll pick up on this if he thinks it important enough. You could send him a PM, personal message.

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Not sure if Jim can do a "Sticky" on the front page or if he is limited to the separate Forums, IE Motorhome Chat.

Drop him a Personel Message (PM) and ask him.

Apr 25, 2014
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Overhead cab
Exp
8 years
Results of survey - £1,250,000 will be lost to the Brisol economy

Shocking news! We need to campaign even more strongly now.
We will lose an excellent caravan site and Bristol economy will suffer greatly.
Just a thought - so that people see this campaign can you draw attention to it briefly in other postings. Hope this is allowed.
Steph

Dear Stephanie

Thank you very much for completing our survey and for allowing us to contact you again. We had to stop at 243 responses so we could prepare the report.

Based on the data collected we can estimate that closing the campsite will cost local people and businesses Ł1,250,000 every single year! Please feel free to have a read of our PDF report which can be found here: http://savebristolcampsite.com/our-report. It will only take a few minutes and the findings are quite shocking. The comments from both Bristol residents and visitors make for some inspiring and illuminating reading!

With local elections on the 22nd of May, we wonder how the Liberal Democrat Councillors for Cabot explain this loss to the local people and economy? We're sure that, with just a little more thought, we could save this wonderful gateway into Bristol which is of immense benefit to visitors and local people alike!

If you would like to support the campaign further then perhaps you might like to email or call the Lib Dem Councillors for Cabot (where the campsite is) directly. If so, here are their details:
Lib Dem Cllr Dr Mark Wright - mark.wright@bristol.gov.uk - (0117) 914 2559
Lib Dem Cllr Mr Alex Woodman - alex.woodman@bristol.gov.uk - (0117) 353 3381
There are more contacts details and info on how to help in the report and on our website www.savebristolcampsite.com

Thank you! We can do this!

All the best,

Matt & The SaveBristolCampsite Team
savebristolcampsite@outlook.com

@SaveBristolCamp

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Interesting but is such a small sample valid in statistical terms? The fact that only 243 people filled in the survey means that 86% of the petition signatories did not do so.

Reading a similar topic on the CC forum earlier this morning I had a look and the petition currently had 1747 signatures. The population of Bristol is well over 400,000 (and that's quite apart from the membership of the CC). The conclusion has to be that the vast majority of people support the council decision (or, at least, don't support the site's retention).

The best thing the CC can do (if, indeed, it wants a site in Bristol) is to put its energies into finding an alternative.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Interesting but is such a small sample valid in statistical terms? The fact that only 243 people filled in the survey means that 86% of the petition signatories did not do so.

Reading a similar topic on the CC forum earlier this morning I had a look and the petition currently had 1747 signatures. The population of Bristol is well over 400,000 (and that's quite apart from the membership of the CC). The conclusion has to be that the vast majority of people support the council decision (or, at least, don't support the site's retention).

The best thing the CC can do (if, indeed, it wants a site in Bristol) is to put its energies into finding an alternative.

Only 28% of the population vote in local elections as well, Graham. You can bet that the council don't want to advertise this campaign. Blo**y good job they were a little more forward thinking when they contracted Brunel to carry out the dock improvements!

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Right, have signed the petition, and also emailed the mayor on behalf of our Veterans Association, (many of whom are disabled and visit Baltic Wharf as their only means of staying in Bristol).
I have also posted the petition details on the same Vets site. Fingers crossed. :thumb:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
[HI]Only 28% of the population vote in local elections as well, Graham.[/HI] You can bet that the council don't want to advertise this campaign. Blo**y good job they were a little more forward thinking when they contracted Brunel to carry out the dock improvements!

And see what sort of rubbish results Dave ::bigsmile:

As regards advertising, this campaign has been well publicised both in the Bristol area and on several caravan/motorhome forums, including the CC's own forum. Despite that publicity the number of people supporting it from the potential total (residents of Bristol, CC members and other caravan/motorhome users) is minuscule.

One of the recurring moans on the CC forum is that Baltic Wharf, having only 55 pitches, is always full and so is very difficult to book. There is every opportunity here to establish an alternative site with more pitches, and with good public transport links into the city, which would be just as attractive to people as Baltic Wharf currently is.

On that basis (assuming the CC wants a site in Bristol and that the campaigners are interested in the economy of Bristol as a whole) resources would be best used in working with the council to find such an alternative site.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Points taken and fully digested Graham, however, the way I see the situation is that once you give something up without a fight, the easier it is next time not to bother. Granted that Baltic Wharf is always fully booked, but it is such an ideal site, that I struggle to see where in the local an alternative offering the same access to the wharves can be found.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
It hasn't really been given up without a fight Dave. As Broken Link Removed says the CC has had "lengthy negotiations with Bristol City Council".

I agree that an alternative would not offer the same access to the wharves (in proximity terms) but how many people want such access compared to those who want access to the city centre? If memory serves from when we were there a few years back, apart from SS Great Britain there isn't all that much in the way of amenities around Baltic Wharf compared to the areas north of the river.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Yes, but North of the river, apart from Brandon, I cant really see anywhere suitable.....unless the grounds of the university halls of residence could be purloined! The next unoccupied places to the North would have to be Clifton.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back