Rally Peterborough Show - The Big One (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We aren't there but by the looks of it Fun definitely got the better area :) as lots of posts on Facebook from other groups including MCC & Motorhomes & Campervans UK show much more muddy pitches. The ducks might be walking across Fun pitches but they are swimming in the puddles on the others!
Very true. Motorhome fun definitely look to have got the best fields. Wandering around with the dog and speaking to other dog owners not in our area it all looks pretty bad for them. Might help if water stopped falling out the sky

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Went yesterday morning as a day visitor, light but persistent rain - and it was miserable :crying:
Stall holders huddled in the back of their tents, dealers sheltering in their display units.
Soggy underfoot, squelchy ground...
Only glimmer of sunshine was the Funsters tent :laughing:.
Spent a couple of hours but not tempted by anything - 'cept a Britstops book.
No fun for me but cheap at least, no fun for traders - spent a fortune on their pitches & hardly any footfall, let alone spenders.

Is April really the best time to host the National show?

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
Went yesterday morning as a day visitor, light but persistent rain - and it was miserable :crying:
Stall holders huddled in the back of their tents, dealers sheltering in their display units.
Soggy underfoot, squelchy ground...
Only glimmer of sunshine was the Funsters tent :laughing:.
Spent a couple of hours but not tempted by anything - 'cept a Britstops book.
No fun for me but cheap at least, no fun for traders - spent a fortune on their pitches & hardly any footfall, let alone spenders.

Is April really the best time to host the National show?
Very true.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Not long enough, but a little common sense helps..........
Well, this is our first visit to this show and I doubt we will be back again because it has not been enjoyable walking around in the mud day after day.
We did not feel comfortable getting in and out the MH's for sale and could not see why anyone would buy one that has been covered in mud inside.
If the show was in May or June then perhaps we will come back.
Not looking forward to getting off field Monday, but thanks to MHF at least we have by far a better pitch area than 99% of other clubs thank God and Jim.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I must admit that we have always liked Peterbog show, one of our favourite shows (only surpassed by the old York one), but I doubt if we'll make the journey again. There are lots of MHs to see but the accessories are a bit less than previous years, and the reduction of stuff specific to motorhomes is noticeable - if you want a log cabin with a central fire pit, or statics there's a few to choose from, lots of garden furniture (!), a fair selection of awnings but the shows are too much like a general market for my liking now - I used to love pottering round the likes of O'Learys with all the odds and sods specific to motorhomes but there's nothing like that now and hasn't been for a while.

There hasn't been the number of day visitors as previous years either so the traders will be feeling the pinch, even with the rain etc it was usually still popular, but not so much this year ... too many shows now I fear.

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
Well it rained all night and I decided to pack up and leave early than I wanted to, I had a straight downhill steady run heading for the road and 8ft from the road I got stuck big time.
I had fiamma yellow grippers and four pair of those orange foldable grips and all bloody useless, thanks to the 2 gents that tried to help but invain. I went to see the tractor drivers but they said to busy and would be with me in 2 hours but they did not turn up. I asked a person with a Dodge Ram pickup if he could help me, and what a star hitched me up and pulled us out with ease.
A special thank you to Rholmes a funster, with the Dodge Ram, and thanks to the marshalls for their great work in such bad conditions.
A very greatfull funster,
Thanks again to all.

John.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
It's a time of year that is very changeable, been at Peterbourgh show and got sunburnt but also cold and wet. Think the ground could be be improved with drainage etc, but the cost of it might make it more viable to build on. The amount of houses being built around here it must be a prime site for building on.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
We did not feel comfortable getting in and out the MH's for sale and could not see why anyone would buy one that has been covered in mud inside.
I think a lot of people felt that - well the ones who were around (obviously some don't care) but I certainly wouldn't fancy being that guy who had to return these vehicles to 'showroom' condition...
Weather today (I'm local) seems a little better, tomorrow forecast better still.
Hope so - it's in no ones interest for the these shows to fail economically.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
...I went to see the tractor drivers but they said to busy and would be with me in 2 hours but they did not turn up...
John.
That's inexcusable.
Obviously with the weather a delay is understandble but the show organisers need to ensure plenty of towing resources are on hand - especially when its obvious they'll be needed.
So, 2h wait not ideal but acceptable but unacceptable they never turned up
Is there any sort of 'official' queuing or putting your name on a list for tractor service?

laird of Dunstan

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 15, 2015
lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9000DFH
Exp
ex caravanner
It's a time of year that is very changeable, been at Peterbourgh show and got sunburnt but also cold and wet. Think the ground could be be improved with drainage etc, but the cost of it might make it more viable to build on. The amount of houses being built around here it must be a prime site for building on.
They have been selling off parts of the showground for years ,the people who own it have been putting up their charges tobthe point that some events such as ponies UK have moved to Newark ,the show ground will dissapear one day to be replaced by houses

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012
Your right about it disappearing, money talks but I guess we all have a price it's just a matter of how much.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Trouble is - how do you make a large plot of land make money? Are there enough events to make it pay, is the population large enough to bring events to the locale? It's inevitable it will be 'lost' to development.
Which would be a shame generally speaking but no great loss to the motorhoming fraternity - because all we need is a great big field.
I wonder if there are any old airfields in the area? Large space, lots of hard standing.

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
That's inexcusable.
Obviously with the weather a delay is understandble but the show organisers need to ensure plenty of towing resources are on hand - especially when its obvious they'll be needed.
So, 2h wait not ideal but acceptable but unacceptable they never turned up
Is there any sort of 'official' queuing or putting your name on a list for tractor service?
Well that's made my mind up will be asking if needed for a "pull" first thing tomorrow morning and then park on the road for the rest of the day or night.

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
I was coming tommow but,

glass or two of wine & whatch the grand prix against getting trenchfoot. sorry no contest...
hasta la vista baby...mybe next year

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We're coming over for coffee and cake this morning, can anyone tell us if we to bring our own drinks or will the urn be on? Have baked a cake so will be bringing that. Also about what time please?

Stagman

Free Member
Aug 19, 2015
North Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
3yrs
We're coming over for coffee and cake this morning, can anyone tell us if we to bring our own drinks or will the urn be on? Have baked a cake so will be bringing that. Also about what time please?
It says on our bit of paper 11am and to bring your own tea/coffee.:)

Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
Sunny now we're leaving .wemanaged to drive off unaided.
many thanks to the marshals for their hard work in atrocious conditions. lovely time with funsters as alway.many thanks for a good weekend.

Mags52

Free Member
Jun 2, 2010
Melrose Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Hymer B774
Exp
Since 2010
HUGE HUGE thanks to the Funsters who helped us off the field. At least one of you got completely spattered in mud as well. ;( What a great bunch of folk. Thanks again everyone for a great meet.
Mags

Jan 10, 2013
Near Uttoxeter and Crete
Funster No
MH
Warwick XL PVC
Exp
Still trucking and learning
Hi
I got parked on Tarmac so could you redeploy mine to someone on the grass as I should be able to get off.
Thanks again
Neil
Only just seen your response as we are back at home now. Left them outside your van on Friday - perhaps you could pass them on to someone who may need them.

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
Well that's the Peterborough show at an end.Its been a great weekend ,me and Jo have really enjoyed it despite the obvious weather problems,but today has been beautiful(y),always the way. Met quite a few people for the first time which was nice,Sue (theonlysue),Nev (Shunter), Larby,it was also nice to see Carol & Eddie again and Brian (Brisey),Andy (andyman) and also the other people we met but didn't get the names:rolleyes::LOL:.Me and Jo have always been very quiet people and enjoy our own company which we don't get much of:( so when we do come on a rally I hope people don't think we are anti social because that is just not the case.in the evening we do prefer to tuck up in our van and enjoy that us time.But we have really enjoyed this rally so a big thank you to Jim & Sian ,to all the marshals ,you did a great job and also to all the members that we have met and had a chinwag with.Next one for us is hopefully Bagwell.hope you all have a safe journey home (y):)
Brian & Jo

ludo

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 12, 2011
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Since 1990
Had a good weekend at Peterborough despite the cold and the rain. Spent too much money, AGAIN!

A big thank you to Brisey and Pamalaaar, Dave and Polly, for their hard work marshalling the event. They really suffered the cold and wet conditions to look after all of us attending. They were great!

Felt so sorry for the traders, up to their ar£es in mud and crocodiles, their stock getting dirty and damaged .

We left today, after getting stuck in the mud and having to be towed out by a tractor. What a bu%%er. We were lucky though, another lady funster, who was trying to help us, just spotted a tractor close by and he came to us straight away.

Next one for us, Norfolk. Let's hope the weather is better! Buying a winch next!!

IS IT LEGAL TO TOW A TRACTOR WITH YOU, ON AN "A" FRAME?

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Just back from a day trip to Peterborough ! Wore my Wellies as advised by @Minxy Girl yesterday but went over to see the funster camp site! Yours was one of the better ones some were a quagmire!! Lovely to see @Steve and Kat and had a lovely lunch and chat with @Hyacinth 1 liz and Steve,and caught up with mick and Janet @beacons .
Only spent £7 on a leather bumbag( very seventies I know but great for cycling ) some off us Funsters spent a little more but I'm keeping my lip zipped!!!:sun:Sunny most of the day for us.

Last edited:

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
A big thank you to the funsters who helped push us off, we were only about a foot from the road opposite The fun Marquee but that might as well have been 60ft as the van was going no where. Thanks to the person who also put down his mud tracks for us as these helped a lot. It was a great first experience although I dont think we will go back to Peterborough now we have been weather was awful apart from today of course.

Many Thanks once again.:)

Zac & Salli

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Only just seen your response as we are back at home now. Left them outside your van on Friday - perhaps you could pass them on to someone who may need them.
Thanks got them(y) they were deployed (y)

A big thank you to all involved, had a great time:)

Don Quixote

Free Member
Jul 29, 2012
Lost in La Mancha, Spain
Funster No
MH
VW T6 Campervan
Exp
Thank you to Brisey and Pamalaaar, Dave and Polly, for their hard work marshalling the event, you are on our Christmas list;) we had a nice few days regardless of the weather. Back to sunny Norfolk for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back