Pet insurance and travelling. (1 Viewer)

debdabble

Free Member
Jan 21, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
very new to us
Hello to all reading this. This is my first posting.

My partner and myself are now very close to purchasing our first motorhome, and no problems really in that area.:Smile:

We are planning to spend 2-3 months a year, possibly twice each year travelling, almost certainly through Europe. So far no problems. Then last evening I took it upon myself to check with our pet insurance provider (Petplan) to whom we pay a lot of money for their 'ultimate whole of life' insurance for our greyhound Clive that he would be covered for vets fees as he will be travelling with us. I was suprised,disappointed and worried to be told that they will only insure him for 90 days each calendar year.:whatthe:

This set me thinking about all you folk out there who travel for long periods and many of you seem to have your pets with you. How do you get extra insurance (Petplan said this wasn't possible - 90 days is their strict limit). I could not risk travel for Clive without it as the horrendous cost of vetinary bills would be impossible, and I don't want to have him put to sleep because I couldn't pay - doesn't bear thinking about.

Also whist having time to think about this today, lets say I stuck to 90 days abroad, does that then stop me travelling in this country with him. In theory we could be using the motorhome to visit relatives.

Finally after checking insurance for us hoomans I see that I too am limited to 90 days or several blocks of 31 days. So folks I would really appreciate any insight and useful information about long term travel insurance both for myself and my dog.

Thanks,

Debbie

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
it seems most pet policies have a limit of 90 days. but it is 90 days outside uk, cover for UK is 365 days a year.

on personal travel insurance ours is also 90 days but we can opt to extend that if we decide to stay away longer or more often... but it costs.

others spend much more time than us away so may have better advice.

anyway

welcome:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
A further problem I found with Petplan is that the 3rd party insurance is only valid for the UK.
We took out an extra insurance with them (I think it was £12) to cover Meg abroad.
There is no chance of her biting anyone but she is very friendly and could possibly jump up at someone elderly and knock them over with consequent damage. It's extremely unlikely but we like to be covered.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
full time travel and medical insurance

just picked this info up on another thread

Travel insurance
Endsleigh's “gap year” policy allows you to travel for up to twelve months, no matter how old you are! It's significantly cheaper if you opt not to take the baggage cover, which is in any case quite limited. The medical cover is very comprehensive, although if you're only travelling in the EU, an EHIC card may be sufficient.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back