Personal Air Show

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Gromett, Apr 18, 2013.

1. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I have just parked up at the CL at the bottom of the runway at RAF coningsby.

As I got out of the van a typhoon came belting down the run way upside then shot up with its tail pointing directly at me :Eeek::clap::clap::clap::clap:

It then proceeded to go nuts...

FANTASTIC :thumb:

I am at sandybank farm which is just to the right of the runway if you want to see how close I am...

If I cross the road which is only 20 meters from my I can get into a field with all the landing lights.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=co...ingsby,+Lincolnshire,+United+Kingdom&t=h&z=14

• Like Like x 6
  2. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

better hope there is NO night flying !!!

3. Mel

Mel Funster

Did a job last year took a truck to the UK for a friend.

Same area. Nearly s--- myself.

that is flying.

They make it look so easy.

If only

• Like Like x 1
  4. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Flights usually stop before 11:30, they have a 12:00 stop time unless on active missions from what I understand.

They stopped at 8pm last night.

5. Viennese

Viennese Funster

Wish I was there to see them!!

Catherine

6. G4OGE

G4OGE

Just Jane

Try and call in and see Just Jane the Lancaster at the museum over that side she is going to be made airworthy again.

7. Gromett

Gromett Funster

She is at the other end of the runway from me. I am really lucky that
    a) My Dad and now my brother in Law serve(d) in the RAF so I have been given tours round the base during operational hours including standing on the taxi way next to a Tornado taking off on full reheat and clambering about inside a Lancaster as a kid. I think that one was at Scampton at the time though I can't be certain. I just remember it was bloody warm in there.
    b) My mum now lives at Coningsby so on visits here I quite often see the flying Lanc strut it's stuff. I have had some wonderful experiences here.

In the last 12 months alone I have
    1) Been within a 100 Meters of a scramble for a pair of Apache Helicopters.
    2) Had the Lancaster do 1/2 an hour display including some very very very low flying over the village.
    3) Twice seen F15's blatting about with Typhoons
    4) Had a spitfire fly at low altitude directly towards me as though on a strafing run. Just glad I wasn't german during WW2 as that was a scary moment.
    5) Had a typhoon stand on its tail above me with full reheat numerous times.
    6) Had the Vulcan land while I was here and at the end of the runway.
    7) Seen a couple of Q scrambles. the night time one was seriously impressive.
    8) Seen a couple of Nato exercises.

The list goes on. I know I should be over it all having been around the RAF all my childhood. But I still get a buzz out of some aircraft.

As I was typing this a twin seater typhoon has just gone over on full reheat, turned away from me just as passed and blasted me with the full noise. I had to put my fingers in my ears :Eeek:

for me the best sound in the world is the Lancaster. I could listen to that for hours. The best job in the world bar none would be a Spitfire Display pilot.

Anyway, I am getting my chair out. It looks like they are all coming back into land now :thumb:

• Like Like x 4
  8. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

'till you think just how much that one run just cost you - enough for a good new van at least.

A fighter plane with a pilot, it's just so last year.

9. camocam1

camocam1 Read Only Funster

large NATO exercise up here at Lossiemouth and flying ALL night, enjoy your airshow

10. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

Having spent 32 years in the Air Force the noise can sometimes be rather intrusive,back in the 80's I lived at RAF Leuchars in Scotland when the F4 phantoms were based there,we lived around 200 metres from the end of the runway under the flightpath,our street was nicknamed reheat alley.speach was impossible when one of them was taking off which was often!Also at the time it was part of the UK's QRA so they took off at all times of the day and night.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gromett

Gromett Funster

At my sisters house when she was at coningsby all talking stopped and the TV was paused whenever it was take off or landing time so I know what you mean. fortunately when I was growing up the only base where we were any where near the runway was RAF Halton which only ran props not jets back then. However I was just starting to walk when 2 Vulcans came very low over our car in Scotland and it put my walking back by 4 months it scared me that much....

I just tried to find out online where the F15s were from and found this neat motorhome blog.

http://motorhomemoments.wordpress.com/tag/coningsby/

12. Gooney

Gooney Funster

In 1980 I was working in Saudi Arabia, I was coming home on leave and got to Dharan airport to find it had been closed for the afternoon. There was a demonstration of F16 fighter planes being shown to the Saudi military, we were able to watch the display, it was incredible one of the planes came hurtling in a vertical dive toward the runway and at the last possible second it went through 180 degrees, it's afterburners came on and it just disappeared into the distance, you'd have thought it impossible for it not to have crashed into the runway, it was worth a couple of hours delay getting home to have witnessed this.:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  13. hdvrod

hdvrod Read Only Funster

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BArpqYspIgU"]Many jets breaking the sound barrier. - YouTube[/ame]

14. buttons

buttons Funster

My son moved from Chicago last year but while there he was on the 47th floor on the lake side. Incredible vantage point for the Chicago military air show, all the latest aircraft at eye level making the windows rattle. Couldn't help waving to the pilots. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  15. buttons

buttons Funster

Does anyone know if the Mildenhall air show is still run. Some fantastic displays of US aircraft.

16. Gromett

Gromett Funster

17. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Spent a few hours parked up in the motorhome at the end of Old Boston Road watching the planes. Good chippy close by if I remember correctly.

18. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Not a fan of that chippy (Chipmonks) Had a few dodgy bellies from there. Not sure if it is bad or just disagrees with me..:Sad:

19. tofo

tofo Funster

i think 911 put a stop to it
    as i used to live on the air base
    ( dad was stationed there RAF )
    we returned when i first used my self build
    their is a barrier at the bird in hand pub

locals said its no longer run:thumb:

http://forums.airshows.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=49684

just for fun
    http://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=pal6wqNh-pk&desktop_uri=/watch?v=pal6wqNh-pk

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. motorhomelover

motorhomelover

would any one be interested at a rally meet at Rufforth air field York

i used to go to a caravan rally there 20 years ago

if there is enough interest i will consider putting a rally together
    so ask your mates and pass it on the sooner i get a response the sooner i can
    start to sort some thing out

From the York ring road (A1237) turn left towards the villiage of Rufforth along the B1224.

whoop i will put up a new post for this to get info on

yours Ian