Peloponnese Tips

Discussion in 'Greece Turkey' started by Russ Humphreys, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Hi everyone,
    We're off to the Peloponnese in the next few days. Basic plan being an anticlockwise route following the coast, inland to Mystras, Olympia and back to Patras for the ferry.

Would anyone have any recommendations. Must see places, must avoid places?

Thanks

2. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Hi Russ
    Glenn and I have spent quite a lot of time in the Peloponnese so we know and love lots of places. But we haven't done it in a MH. Olympia is a must. The drive from Kalamata to Mystras is stunning but the road is narrow in parts and has a low overhanging rock in one place. If you have a big van try and get a bit of advice from someone who's done it.
    I would add Ancient Messini if you like archaeological sites. Arguably the best one we've been to.
    Caves of Diros, you go in in boats.
    Nice towns, Kardymili,
    Agios Nicholas call into Gregs cafe and say hello to Freda who is a font of knowledge for all expats. Also recommend Ellies taverna and you can overnight in the carpark there.
    Gytheio,(lovely harbour)
    Koroni (castle) I think there may be parking at Finikounda which is nearby
    Stoupa go to Melissas taverna. There is a campsite there but I don't know what its like.
    Polylimonos waterfalls and pools.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. andrewjw

andrewjw Funster

We'd agree that Ancient Messini is the most magical ancient site we visited...just amazing and I'm not really into old stones.

Mystras is also wonderful....Castle View campsite not far away ...a bit idiosyncratic!

The other fantastic less visited place is Kalavrita in the N.Peloponnese...reached by the Odontotus rack railway...there is a museum there dedicated to the local people massacred by the occupying force during WW2. Very moving and a stunning railway journey to get there.

http://www.odontotos.com/index-en.htm

Those would be our top three...have fun!

• Like Like x 2
  4. Richard Birkett

Richard Birkett Funster

It's fantastic at this time of year, great people and the scenery is fantastic (if you overlook the fly tipping).
    Be prepared to be stumped by the place names when navigating because their obviously not in English and beware diversions, as the local councils take the opportunity at the end of the season to repair the roads and the diversion signs often last for only a couple of k and then your on your own. 1st time we were there (without satnav) we spent a whole day lost in the mountains. When we got back to the same site we left in the morning, the owner gave us some very good advise. If the roads closed, always turn towards the sea, not inland. He then gave us a bottle of Retsina for our troubles! The people are so friendly. Have a great time.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Thanks very much for your replies, we'll let you know how we get on.

Russ

6. Hils and Glenns

Hils and Glenns Funster

Hi Russ. I've just realised you wont be so far from Kastanea. Its their chestnut festival on Saturday. It starts at 10am and will go on late into the night. There will be free chestnuts. Music dancing, hog roast beer and wine. Its an opportunity to see real Greek village life. Everyone is welcome at these festivals.
    http://www.messinianmani.gr/information/the-villages/item/207-kastania2

• Like Like x 2
  7. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Thanks again. I just put that into the sat nav (navigator) and it says 6hrs driving. It's always hugely optimistic despite me trying to tweak the parameters. So it maybe a little iffy trying to get there, we're getting the ferry tomorrow am.

It's just the sort of thing we'd love though, so who knows we'll see where we end up tomorrow pm.
    Russ

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Link here to our trip to Greece last year, Pelopnnesestarts on page 3.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Excellent, thanks again.
    As you may have gathered this is our first campervan trip (well apart from 4 days in Devon to figure out if everything worked) so we're definitely making this up as we go along. So it's good to read about others, especially the wild camping (we're shredding pounds in weight and money) we've wild camped in Morocco and New Zealand but tbh I really didn't fancy it in Italy. We stopped at Aires in France, some OK some, well not.

I've started a Facebook page if anyone is interested. It's been a retrospective lash up until now but I'll try to make it more informative from now on. There's 2, an abortive attempt which is upto Corfu and then one from corfu which is more real time

https://www.facebook.com/The-White-Van-Plan-846532632149020/

Last edited: Oct 13, 2016
  10. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Stoupa is lovely. Stayed at Camping Kalogria which is just across the road from a fabulous beach and within a few minutes walk of the town. Would (will!) definitely return.

• Like Like x 2
  11. rikfos

rikfos Funster

Don't forget Epidauras

• Like Like x 1
  12. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

And we're off:) IMG_20161014_103935.jpg

13. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

A bit of a late start, 11:30 ferry. We'll try to get as far south as possible today, hopefully onto the Peloponnese.

14. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

@Our Bumble has a great blog, with some beautiful photos and loads of wildcamp sites. They are there now.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

View from our bedroom last night :)

Stayed at 38.15615 21.36778

Big car park next to a nice beach and taverna. Loads of mosi's though:-( IMG_20161014_185025.jpg

16. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

And this is our breakfast view :) 1476515562952.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

Thanks @Mousy. We've not quite reached the Pelopannes got rather distracted by the beautiful Halkidki coast but should be there next week.

@Russ Humphreys...maybe catch up for a drink or two if we manage to catch you up?

• Like Like x 1
  18. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Last edited: Oct 17, 2016
  19. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Well considering that we fell on this area more or less by accident it’s absolutely brilliant. In fact we’ve not moved from Navarino bay for over a week. We will move on on Friday as we’re well aware that we are running out of time in a weather context. We do want to see more of the Peloponnese. If you’ve not been I’d really recommend it. Very easy to get around, unspoilt but enough tourist infrastructure to keep most people happy I’d say.

I had tried to keep a sort of blog going on Facebook but I really don’t get on with Facebook so I’ve created this. Not too professional and some done retrospectively. But it maybe of interest .
    http://sprinter4x4.blogspot.com

Thanks again to everyone who helped make this a wonderful trip, well it's not finished yet of course:)

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Russ Humphreys

Russ Humphreys Funster

Left the Peloponnese today:-(

The road from Kalamata to Mystras is stunning

Heading for Meteora, thanks @Our Bumble , then heading for Macedonia.