Payload for our Navajo

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by RitaG, Jan 28, 2016.

1. RitaG

RitaG Funster

Hi,

Question from a newbie: Does the payload for our Navajo which is 280kg include the driver and passenger or is it just the kit that we carry? I know this may be a stupid question but better to ask it and get it right rather than get it wrong.

2. DP_JAY

DP_JAY Funster Life Member

Yes, All people & everything you carry in the vehicle count, At 280kg sounds like you'll struggle. Is the 280kg actual (as in from a weighbridge) or estimated?

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

There is nothing stupid about payload, except being fined for going over it.

I would say 280kg is just a rough guide, ignore it.

What you need to do is load up, find a weighbridge and weigh each axle. Compare that to the weight ticket probably next to the driver's door.

Worst case, you could put all 280kg on the back and overload the back axle.

Only a weighbridge will give you the correct data.

4. Speve

Speve Funster

Might be useful to post your axle weights from the plate it will give us a clue to what you are asking

5. RitaG

RitaG Funster

We don't pick it up from the dealer until 6th February so will know more then.

6. Speve

Speve Funster

We had a new 2013 Tracker FB and had to uprate it to 3850kg as we couldn't get a decent payload.
    We have now changed to a Hymer Exsis much more payload no worries about overloading although we liked our Tracker and did 18000 miles in two years without any problems it wasn't up to our requirements load wise.

7. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

The following are the figures on the below Autotrail web page:

http://www.auto-trail.co.uk/model/frontier/navajo/technical-features#menu

Max. gross weight: 3500kg
    Mass in running order*: 3220kg
    Max. front axle loading: 1850kg
    Max. rear axle loading: 2000kg

So 3500kg less 3220kg = 280kg standard payload

* The mass in running order includes the driver (75kg allowance), but totally empty fresh water tank and waste water tanks and probably empty fuel tank too.​

It is also states that: all 3500kg models can be upgraded to 3650kg FOC, probably because the MH would be unlikely to be usable without the upgrade and only just usable with it as this would still only give you 430kg in total to allow for any extras you've had fitted, clothes, food, passengers, dogs, etc, etc ...

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. Minxy Girl

If you are no-where near the age of 70 (when you'd need to take a medical to be able to drive vehicles over 3500kg gross) then I suggest you get your dealer to do the offered upgrade to 3650kg free of charge ... do NOT wait until they've registered it as they need to do it at the time of first registration, not after.

9. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

280kg Is not realistic they shouldn't be allowed to sell a van with that lower payload. You have to reduce the payload by the weight of any extras you have ordered. As Mel says Autotrail say that is with empty water tanks they don't mention fuel or gas.
    You need to be looking at a minimum payload of at least 500kg to make it viable.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  10. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

there is a date after which your licence will not allow you to drive over 3.5tonnes without taking an extra test if you go for the upgrade road tax will be less

11. Minxy Girl

If you took and passed your car test no later than 31st December 1996 then you should have the entitlement (C1) to drive over 3500kg up to 7500kg, if it was after this date you will have to take a separate test to get the C1 entitlement.

http://www.drivex.co.uk/driving-licence-info/

12. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

If Limited to 3500kg I would walk away! the van is in no way practical. the 280 figure does not include any fitted extras, awning, larger engine whatever..... Autotrail are a joke....your predicament not news:censored:

13. RitaG

RitaG Funster

Unfortunately I reached 70 on Saturday and am not keen on paying my doctor £110.00 to sign the D4 form for the DVLA. I did have C1 entitlement on my old licence but couldn't get to see the doctor for weeks after my 70th birthday so at the moment I have a normal driving licence but can apply for my C1 entitlement to be added.

Mr G didn't want the extra 150kg upgrade so I think we are going to have to live with it and travel light.

14. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Happy birthday for Saturday.
    If you are both fairly light weight wise and you haven't ordered any extras on the van you may be OK if you run light.
    Our van had a payload of 580kg we have just uprated to 3850kg we couldn't keep below 3500kg and we don't even have an awning, we do run with a full water tank.

15. Minxy Girl

It might be an idea to do a work out of what your stuff (and you both) weight to see if you CAN make it work even travelling light as it soon adds up, even half a tank of water will use up 70kgs, then there's waste water; a single 15kg gas cylinder will weigh around 35kg when full so that's over 100kgs gone already. Liquid - ie beer, wine etc, weighs approx 1kg per litre (not including the bottles). Once you put in bedding, clothing, shoes, toiletries, pots, pans, crockery, and a bit of food etc you could find you run out of capacity for your wife!

IMV the MH is NOT fit for purpose in 3500kg guise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  16. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

Hi, I've got a Navajo and upgraded to 3850kgs so now got 570kgs payload. Sorry to tell you that 3500kgs is not practical because the miro =3280 leaves 220kgs payload. They allow 75kgs for driver so deduct anything more that you weigh, then deduct your passenger weight, any extras like towbar etc then see what's left for food, clothes etc. You'll struggle I'm afraid.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  17. jezport

jezport Funster

Fuel 70KG
    Water 40KG
    Wife 100KG
    Food 20KG
    Clothes 30KG
    TV+ a few extras 10KG

Hope you haven't ordered an awning or sat dome.

I advise booking into a nudist, slimmers site! Or bite the bullet and upgrade the weight.
    220KG payload is not usable legally!

18. Judge Mental

Judge Mental Funster Deceased RIP

Sorry but Crazy going ahead and buying this van. Just explain to dealer and walk away! You are being missold anyway! What's the point of all the advice you have got on here if you don't take heed...you opening post says better to get it right then get it wrong?

Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

The MIRO (Mass in running order) is given as 3220 kg the tolerance on this is -/+5% nearly all vans come out of the factory towards the top tolerance so this would increase the MIRO to3381 kg, Autotrail specify the MIRO with no fuel, 90 Lt of diesel is 75 kg that now leaves a payload of 44 kg, that is without any extras or packs added.
    So providing you have ordered a bog standard van with no extras at all you have 44 kg to accommodate your passenger, personal items, bedding, clothes, food, cooking utensles, cutlery & crockery, food, water. You need to allow about 80 kg a person minimum & you would be wise to carry a spare wheel (25 kg). Even uprated to 3850 kg it would be difficult to work with.

If you plan on going ahead before parting with any cash insist on a weighbridge ticket and make sure you know how much fuel was on board when weighed. From that if there is not enough payload that would be grounds to reject the vehicle as not fit for purpose. It would be reasonable to expect a Motorhome to be able to carry at least 2 people with supplies and equipment for a holiday and enough water for at least 2 nights (70 Lt = 70kg) and a full tank of fuel.

From what I have learnt I now would only consider a van with a minimum payload of 750 kg.

• Useful Useful x 2
  20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

The phrase "you're stuffed" comes to mind.

Cancel - Not Fit For Purpose and save all the grief and a load of cash wasted when you need to change next year. You just can't enjoy a MH when you have to think long and hard about carrying a full loaf of bread.

• Like Like x 1