Paying for an aire (1 Viewer)

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
All you need is the alltheaires book it tells you how much or free and where to get your tokens, and most only need tokens to fill up or hook up. Don't worry if there's no one about , they will find you or not if it's free, it's not England , you won't suddenly get a £70 parking ticket:)(y)

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I will be getting my aires book out for a better look at this jeton business

I now see us arriving at site and all the shops being closed

Doing it is going to be the only cure I guess, thanks again all (y)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
There are numerous variations on how to pay, but you can't go far wrong by carrying a pot of spare Euro cash and a valid bank card.

Quite a few aire ticket machines detect the origin of your card and display their messages in your native language, or have buttons with little flags on so you can understand them.

Don't get too hung up on jetons/tokens, if there's not a dispenser on the aire itself just go to another aire for your waste & water services - I think I've only ever had to use a jeton once.

The one frustration is aires that don't let you in until previously-issued tickets have expired, even though there's obviously empty spaces. So far I've only met one of those.

As others have said, before leaving an aire empty the bog and waste tank (even if they're not yet full) and top up your water, especially if filling doesn't cost extra. That way there's no problem if the next aire's service point is inaccessible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We never usually travel with water filter up except when in France/Spain/Portugal.
We get it where we can and especially full up before going top the next one. You never know if you need a jeton or not.
The aire book tells you normally if water is free or not same with ehu
Lots of different ways to pay. We've only had to treck to the information centre through the village once, and to town once for change for car parking overnight.

Sep 24, 2013
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Carthago A class
Exp
Since 2014
David,
I can appreciate your concern. We are off to France for the first time mid September with our recent MH purchase. Our first one. We certainly have similar concerns. It's the not knowing procedures for certain things and making a specticle of ourselves! I'm sure after the first trip we shall both look back and wonder what all the fus was about. But until then.......

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
David/Stevec

My feelings exactly. The only good thing about having these concerns is that the reality is almost always better than the expectation! :cautious::confused: :):)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
If you look through the All The Aires book at the aires listings, it usually tells you the make of service point so you generally know what tokens to use if any. Most are still cash though, except the one you turn up to late at night with an empty water tank!
We always try to go to the aires with"Custom" service points. They are normally free ( just a tap and somewhere to empty the waste) and usually small.

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
As everyone has said - don't worry just do it! We haven't had to use any tokens yet - and if you read the All the Aires book it tells you if its a token machine or not, so you can be prepared. We have stayed in some wonderful ones - the best one being on a gravel standing, unlimited electric, brand new toilet, and a grassy area around each pitch for barbeques, sitting out, right on the edge of a beautiful little town - all for 5 euros for 24 hours!

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Talking of Hozelock - The picture shows the Hozelock system but I bought all mine at B&Q as they were much cheaper.
CCC2.jpg

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000

(y) When we first started touring France there were not many fuel stations open on Sundays, the ones that were usually wouldn't take our credit cards. :(
Things are much better now but we still fill up on a Saturday ................just in case :whistle:

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
As everyone has said - don't worry just do it! We haven't had to use any tokens yet - and if you read the All the Aires book it tells you if its a token machine or not, so you can be prepared. We have stayed in some wonderful ones - the best one being on a gravel standing, unlimited electric, brand new toilet, and a grassy area around each pitch for barbeques, sitting out, right on the edge of a beautiful little town - all for 5 euros for 24 hours!

and it was so good you are not going to tell us where it was?? :D

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that

Loads of supermarkets are open all day except Sundays. Smaller ones open Sunday mornings only. We always get fuel from the supermarket as it cheaper, however between 12 and 2 its dinner time in France and the fuel is pay at pump. We have often had problems with pay at pump not accepting our UK cards. There seems to be be mixed experience of this with some people never having an issue and some often. Therefore we always try and fill up in the morning when we go shopping and there is someone at the kiosk to take payment. Never had a problem doing this.

Everyone seems to have their favourite. Many use cite Europe just outside the tunnel. We always tend to go the the Auchan at the commercial centre at Boulogne, just off the A16 junction 31 which is about 20 minutes from the tunnel.

http://bit.ly/VHGgTR

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
Talking of Hozelock - The picture shows the Hozelock system but I bought all mine at B&Q as they were much cheaper.
View attachment 39682
Where did you get item E - the tank connector?

It doesn't appear to be either a Hozelock item nor the HELO product, which is the only other one I've seen.

B&Q don't list it either, although I did find DuxDeluxe's

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
We are off to France for only our second time in in September. Last year we traveled through France to Spain and before the off had loads of little concerns, but none of them were anything like the problems or difficulties we imagined!

The Aires simply were amazing and presented no difficulties to us two old codgers! Most we found were free anyway, on many that even included electricity. I we couldn't get water at one we simply moved onto another.
It wasn't a case of not wishing or wanting to pay, we simply found we didn't have to.

The best advice we had was from a fellow funster on here who said "don't worry, it's easy, so just go and enjoy and have fun". He was spot on!

So...Dont worry, it's easy, so just go and enjoy and have fun!

Dave and Ginny

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Hi, As said before you won't have a problem over there,
I suggest using a sat nav that accepts map refs, this certainly helps finding aires , we got a early edition of all the aires , but mostly use motorhomingfrance .co,uk ,they sell a memory stick with about 1500 aires plus a lot of campsites , it's all in english and very helpful. membership to site costs £12 memory stick costs £20 to non members £15 to members of motorhomingfrance
heres a sample

Link Removed

Link Removed

Aire: ARQUES (3*)
ADDRESS: MUNICIPAL CAMPING BEAUSEJOUR, RUE MICHELET

TEL: 03 21 88 53 66 CAMPING FAX:

EMAIL: mairie@ville-arques.fr

TYPE OF AIRE: MUNICIPAL
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/BLACK DRAIN/ ELECTRIC

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS & FEES PAYABLE AT CAMPSITE RECEPTION

PARKING: 2€/ NIGHT SERVICES: 2€ WATER OR ELECTRIC

OPENING TIMES: 01/04 -- 30/10

GPS COORDS: N50.74538 E02.30448

DIRECTIONS: From CALAIS take N43 / N42 EAST to the roundabout EAST of ARQUES & take last exit onto D211 WEST. Turn RIGHT after 2km into RUE J.VERNE / F.MITTERAND (same road). Turn LEFT before Railway Bridge into RUE MICHELET & CAMPSITE

SITE DESCRIPTION: This is a waterside location, next to the large Beausejour lake & close to the 3* Municipal Campsite in a large tarmac parking area. Security is good, the car park being locked at night 2100-0700, and there is shade from trees. The Euro-Relais borne with a small raised drainage grid (hosepipe required) is next to the campsite.

REVIEW

A good secure Aire behind the Mun. Campsite & next to a nice lake. The parking is level & quiet, with nice walks around the lakes & lots of birds + wildlife to see. We noticed a slight noise at night from a distant factory.

Link Removed
ARQUES
Link RemovedLink Removed

Link Removed

Aire: ST-MARTIN-BOULOGNE (2*)
ADDRESS: AUCHAN SUPERMARKET, OFF N42

TEL: 03 21 10 11 12 FAX: 03 21 10 11 26

EMAIL:

TYPE OF AIRE: PRIVATE
FACILITIES: WATER /GREY DRAIN/ BLACK DRAIN / ELECTRIC / TOILETS

PRICES/ RATES: JETONS FROM PETROL STATION

PARKING: FREE SERVICES: 1.5€ WATER OR ELECTRIC

OPENING TIMES: ALL YEAR

GPS COORDS: N50.73464 E01.67469

DIRECTIONS: Exit A16 @ Jcn 31 onto N42 EAST. Leave N42 at next exit onto D237 NORTH. Follow signs for AUCHAN.

SITE DESCRIPTION: Another supermarket, this time in the vast car park of the Auchen Hypermarket, 2km from St Martin Boulogne. This is more of a shopping mall with various other stores having a presence, so it is possible to get a meal, etc; the mall is open 0830 -- 2200 Mon-Saturday. The Raclet borne + drainage grid are next to the petrol station in a separate lay by -- easy to use & access.

REVIEW

1) A good place for a stopover to/from Calais for stocking up with the French wine & food -- good prices. Quite a reasonable night stop as well considering it is a supermarket car park.

2) OK if you cannot find anywhere else -- there is shade in places under small trees & it was not as noisy as I thought it would be. The large shopping mall caters for most requirements as well as fast food. Plenty of spaces but there is a lot of coming & going by customers visiting the store -- quieter after 2100.

Link Removed
ST MARTIN
Link RemovedLink Removed

Hope this helps Terry

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Today courtesy of vicarious books ;

24/24 MASTERCARD NOW ACCEPTED
A few weeks ago I explained that more and more French fuel stations were now
unmanned and that our Metro Bank MasterCard was rarely accepted. We fuel up most
days and during our August tour we successfully used our MasterCard at
Carrefour, E.Leclerc, Auchan and Super U automated pumps. We did not try any
Intermarche pumps. The least we paid for gazole diesel was Euro 1.236L

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Today courtesy of vicarious books ;

24/24 MASTERCARD NOW ACCEPTED
A few weeks ago I explained that more and more French fuel stations were now
unmanned and that our Metro Bank MasterCard was rarely accepted. We fuel up most
days and during our August tour we successfully used our MasterCard at
Carrefour, E.Leclerc, Auchan and Super U automated pumps. We did not try any
Intermarche pumps. The least we paid for gazole diesel was Euro 1.236L
Does this mean ALL master cards , even prepaid euro cards ?

Wildge

Free Member
Jul 24, 2013
East Midlands
Funster No
MH
Coach built.
Exp
since 2000
Does this mean ALL master cards , even prepaid euro cards ?

(y) The quote re Cards... was from an e-mail I received today.
If I remember correctly, the problem with prepaid is that they take a deposit from your card for quite a large amount before the actual charge.
I'm sure someone will add to this............. if wrong:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Where there is a charge to stop over how do you generally have to pay?

Are they mainly collected by person or automated?

I am determined to use more but still unsure of how it works

I think you are worrying unnecessarily. We spent five weeks in France last Sept/Oct and spent the grand total of 15 euros on aires - three separate ones which charged 5 euros each, paid to a person on the spot and not a jeton in sight. Most aires don't charge you to park and in very many the services are free (look them up in the book). Having topped up and emptied for free, there will then be several days (about four in our case) before you need to do it again so staying somewhere which charges for services is not a problem as you won't need to use them (or the pesky jetons). You will, almost inevitably, before the situation becomes critical, either pass or stay in another free aire. And so it goes on - jetons, what jetons? Go for it - we do!

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
and it was so good you are not going to tell us where it was?? :D
Sorry David, meant to post the photo and details, but had to dash out - here is photo and details!

The town is Coucy le Chateau Auffrique. A 10 minute walk into the Walled town. Not a lot there, but a beautiful place to stop if travelling up the Eastern side of France.

Attachments

• Coucy le Chateau Auffrique.JPG
    Coucy le Chateau Auffrique.JPG
    218.7 KB · Views: 57
  • Aires at Coucy le Chateau Auffrique 4.JPG
    Aires at Coucy le Chateau Auffrique 4.JPG
    113.8 KB · Views: 56
  • Coucy le Chateau Auffrique. 2.JPG
    Coucy le Chateau Auffrique. 2.JPG
    138.5 KB · Views: 55
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Sorry David, meant to post the photo and details, but had to dash out - here is photo and details!

The town is Coucy le Chateau Auffrique. A 10 minute walk into the Walled town. Not a lot there, but a beautiful place to stop if travelling up the Eastern side of France.

I can see why you like it, we will be in that area in October, will definitely try it

Apologies for my sarcasm :sneaky:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can see why you like it, we will be in that area in October, will definitely try it

Apologies for my sarcasm :sneaky:
None taken David! It is a lovely aires, as were all the ones we stayed at travelling up the Eastern side of France. That one was the only one we paid for, all the others were free. If you want me to send you details, PM me and I will be happy to do so. The non toll roads are also really good, at least from Mont Blanc Tunnel up to Calais which was what we did.

Riduna

Free Member
Aug 15, 2014
Funster No
MH
looking
Exp
We have had both but it's the ticket machines that are most difficult if ypou don't speak or read the local language. Some require you to pay to enter then give out a ticket that has a number on that has to be tapped in to open the barrier when you want to leave.

It may be possible to use your C C to pay but the last time we used this method no charge was made on our card, so maybe they don't like foreign cards.

What a wonderful facility your pub stopover guide is, well done mate. excuse my ignorance as a newbie, what does CDP stand for. Riduna..

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
I can understand your concerns, but my advice now is ..... don't worry. I was in the same position as you earlier this year. A trip down to Spain In March meant using Aires in France because nearly all camp sites were closed. I spent ages studying the Aires book and wondering how we were going to cope. In reality all of the Aires we stayed at were different in the way they worked, but all were very easy.

The first Aire we stayed at (Neufchattel) had a ticketed entry an you paid before exiting using your credit card. Very good facilities but 12E per night. Later we found Aires that were free. On another one in a small village we had to buy a jeton for the water (from tourist office that was still open at 5pm on a Saturday). The lady there told us that the 2E nightly fee would be collected by somebody who would come around "sometime, maybe". They said if nobody called then you got it for free, and sure enough nobody called!

A good bit of advice was given to me by a fellow motorhomer we got chatting to in the car park of a supermarket in Calais when we were filling up with fuel and cakes. He said to always find a pitch by 4pm. And he was right for to reasons. First of all because the better ones get busy after that. But secondly and more importantly driving for more than about 6 hours a day is not really a holiday at all!

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi

Really.....using the aires is easy peasy! We have yet to use one which needed jetons . Only used them for the Bourne once or twice . Mostly we filled up with water whenever it was easy or free and the same goes for dumping the grey and the toilet . What is essential is a big bag of € 1 and €2 as well as 50 c coins needed for the parking meters . When we first discovered the Aires we got a bit carried away and tried not to use campsites at all but now it is about 50/50 since the Municipal campsites as well as the ACSI CC sites are such food value Enjoy your trip !

Cobweb

Free Member
Mar 25, 2014
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi
What I meant to say is that the Municipal campsites and ACSI cc are Good value ! Not Food ! Could not find how to edit either. Had two classes of vino ! Maybe that is why !

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back