Parking restrictions

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Hotelman, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

Living in Scarborough/Filey, I seemed to remember the council placing overnight parking restrictions on mh. So whilst awaiting delivery of our new mh next spring, I thought I would check...and yes, signs saying no campervan parking from 23.00 until 07.00 hours.

I phoned Scarborough Borough Council, and a very helpful gentleman explained that they were only the enforcers....but the reasons were,
    Complaints about rubbish being left
    Complaints about Campervans parking in extra bays due to their size
    And also that Blue Badge holders were using the car parks as camp sites, especially the Marine Drive.

North Yorkshire County Council set the rules, so time to contact them, I will keep you posted....

It maybe an old problem but is new to me.....

• Like Like x 1
  2. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

There is now a long stay car park in Lee st Withernsea, right at the bottom overlooking the sea.FREE. No facilities but great view . A couple of streets past Tesco,s going in .Seen a couple in Tesco,s and Aldi,s car park as well this summer ,one van in Aldi for two weeks and another family in the long stay for two weeks .Things seem to be looking up there.

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

If you search for Scarborough on here you will find plenty of threads.

Off street parking in Scarborough, Whitby and Filey is the responsibility of Scarborough Borough Council. Parking on street and at the park & rides is the responsibility of North Yorkshire Council. See entries HERE.

As you were told, the clamp down on overnighting is the result of abuse by some who thought restrictions didn't apply to them. See HERE for example.

Scarborough Borough did look at allowing overnighting in some car parks but came up against a long standing planning policy that had prevented private sites being opened. To have treated council land differently could have landed them in a legal mire.

4. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

I don't know when you were last updated, but the whole of North Yorkshire parking now comes under the jurisdiction of Scarborough Council due to restructuring of responsibilities within the area to "save money".
    They have traffic wardens in Stokesley who have come from Scarborough, some 45 miles or so away.

5. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

I thought you lived in Yarmouth:Eek!:????? Or am I having a senior moment:Doh:??

6. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

That's just the enforcement side :Smile: See Civil Parking Enforcement HERE.

Responsibility for the actual making of TROs still lies with the districts for off street car parks and the county for on street.

7. Hotelman

Hotelman Funster

In have a couple of small hotels in Great Yarmouth, which I am trying to sell, but live in Filey....:BigGrin:

8. dogman

dogman Read Only Funster

Ahhh, I see, glad about that because I thought my memory was failing me, thanks for your reply.

9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

didnt do a very thorough job of that then did they....Scarborough's still chocker with parking enforcement officers.

traffic wardens all died out, along with the black horsehair uniforms and yellow hat bands, when the police handed parking enforcement to local councils.

our officers now look like extra's from Hill Street Blues :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  10. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Where I'm from we still call 'em traffic wardens, even if they do look like really scruffy coppers. :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Just be grateful they're looking after you John :Laughing::Laughing: