Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We went to the cinema in Bury St Edmunds a few weeks back, parking in the multi storey car park. When we came out from watching the film we found our exit route closed due to a serious accident.

When we got back to the car we were approached by a very friendly parking attendant who said we should follow the directions of her colleague once we got to ground level.

We found no less than 3 parking attendants in the large ground level car park directing cars to an exit that had been opened specially to let drivers out.

You can always get officious jobsworths but there are plenty of helpful parking attendants about.

Paul

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
The rules about use of multiple spaces may not be on the signs in the car parks but they are always in the parking orders, information on which is always obtainable by enquiry to the car park owner (as is information about the other rules).
As in so many aspects of life, unless you know that something is unrestricted check up on it first.
Gee they dont make it easy then ! Turn up at a car park, find out who owns it then call to ask if you can park lol And the UK thinks Europe is too regimented lol

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
We have a lot of problems in this area with G4S vans (and those of others security companies) causing congestion by parking on double yellows (and in disabled bays) even though there are perfectly adequate delivery areas for the banks/shops they are going to - but the staff of the banks/shops (and the van drivers) can't be bothered opening doors/gates so that they can be used.
I understand that but We weren't parking, literally Mrs D getting out the car & walking 5 mtr's to the door of the bank (Who had advised us to do this) before I pulled away & parked, commonsense isn't that common some times :D I think its as soon as they put the uniform on, we get the same with scrutineers at the lower levels of motorsport they will argue that something that's advisory is law, when you go farther up in the sport they have nothing to prove & have much more commonsense (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 29, 2009
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Burstner Nexxo T740
Exp
since 2008
I also remember in London needing to unload a Phone system and asking a local warden where I should park to unload (shop only had front access onto a one way system). He said just park on the yellows outside the shop (the shop was round the corner from where we were). I duly parked up, took the phone system in and went straight back out and the self same warden was writing me a ticket! I asked him what was happening and he just said sorry tore the ticket up, put his book away and almost ran off. I know my memory is pants but 10mins I can usually remember (unless its the wife speaking of course)

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I understand that but We weren't parking, literally Mrs D getting out the car & walking 5 mtr's to the door of the bank (Who had advised us to do this) before I pulled away & parked, commonsense isn't that common some times :D I think its as soon as they put the uniform on, we get the same with scrutineers at the lower levels of motorsport they will argue that something that's advisory is law, when you go farther up in the sport they have nothing to prove & have much more commonsense (y)
Yes, you will obviously get the odd officious one - as in many walks of life. However, the point I was making is that sometimes bank/shop staff cause or contribute to problems because they don't think. The bank staff obviously thought about what was easiest for you and themselves but I wonder whether they considered the full picture :) Did they apply enough common sense? :D

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Gee they dont make it easy then ! Turn up at a car park, find out who owns it then call to ask if you can park lol And the UK thinks Europe is too regimented lol
Don't forget the operative word in car park is car. The vast majority of car parks are designed and laid out for the parking of cars, not the large vehicles that we drive, and the vast majority of us know that without any signage being needed. It is up to us, as drivers of large vehicles, to identify appropriate places to park them and not just assume that we can use a car park which is not designed for that purpose.

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
No other country in Europe / Oceania has the same volume of vehicles by landmass as the UK. As to parking tickets contributing to the lack of foreign registered MH visitors, hardly. Britain is a beautiful country but is - by comparison to mainland Europe - overcrowded, congested and prone to inclement weather. The cost of crossing that little puddle called the channel and high fuel prices alone must be sufficient deterrent. Why trundle through countries packed with much of what GB has to offer then pay a crossing fee to access a country which (you've probably heard), is plagued by traffic jams and is vehicle unfriendly?

If you think I'm overstating the case ask yourself why so many of us go to Europe?

On the rare occasions we come back to the UK, car or MH, the thought of having to PAY TO PARK to go and spend money in that shop, or high street or tourist attraction is a step too far on most occasions...Never mind any over zealous parking attendants and fines...

Nov 11, 2013
Tewkesbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL 668
Exp
March 2014
If you want a really good laugh, have a look on YouTube at a series of sketches from the Harry Enfield show featuring Parking Patawayo, a skit on Postman Pat using a parking robber as the main character. It's so true to life it hurts!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Yes, you will obviously get the odd officious one - as in many walks of life. However, the point I was making is that sometimes bank/shop staff cause or contribute to problems because they don't think. The bank staff obviously thought about what was easiest for you and themselves but I wonder whether they considered the full picture :) Did they apply enough common sense? :D

Don't forget the operative word in car park is car. The vast majority of car parks are designed and laid out for the parking of cars, not the large vehicles that we drive, and the vast majority of us know that without any signage being needed. It is up to us, as drivers of large vehicles, to identify appropriate places to park them and not just assume that we can use a car park which is not designed for that purpose.

A good example of positive parking enforcement is Knab Rock, Mumbles. I was recently there for a sailing meeting and took the trouble to ask the guy in charge of parking explaining that there were a few of us. He said....."of course, you are only parking overnight aren't you? The biggest (longest) spaces are near the exit by the road and as long as you park between the lines with as little an overhang into the car park as possible then you will be OK. Don't put an awning out though". Paid a fiver a day for the duration (7am to 7pm) and no problems. He wasn't so positive about some others who parked at the far end and partially overhung a slipway gate.

Reactions: GJH
May 29, 2016
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line
Exp
Since 2016
Boarding and alighting is almost always an exemption allowed on double yellow lines....if you are ticketed for that then you should win on appeal. Ironically if you try to be considerate and stop in a bus or taxi bay to allow a passenger to board or alight then there would be no exemption. This is a really useful forum for parking and traffic issues: http://forums.pepipoo.com/

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003

I see your point :) Guess I have been in France too long and used to being allowed to park anywhere no problem .

Reactions: GJH
Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Problem is people take the piss, since there appears to be no traffic wardens in Germany some Aires have caravans all over them and cars parked in designated moho spaces :mad:

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
When you use a carpark are you paying to hire the bay or to park your vehicle. The ones here are too small for a lot of cars to use. They would not be able to get out of the doors as the bays are only slightly wider than the body work. The bigger the cars get the smaller the bays get. I use my motorbike now to park in town as it gets through the traffic easier and there are bays for them (FREE)

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Problem is people take the piss, since there appears to be no traffic wardens in Germany some Aires have caravans all over them and cars parked in designated moho spaces :mad:

We stayed on an Kiel canal stelplatz and were visited by an official who was checking that we and the other motorhomers had valid parking permits.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As in so many aspects of life, unless you know that something is unrestricted check up on it first.
I understand that you believe that statement is reasonable but it simply is not. I want to park legally, safely, and within the rules that apply to the parking area I have chosen. I do not wish to spend time obtaining information online, by telephone, or by any means other than reading the notice in the car park. In one Welsh town I did ring the number provided only to be told that suitable parking for large vehicles (6M MH) was only available over a mile from the town centre. Not much use for my elderly and infirm passenger. My home town (Kendal) allows free parking for motorcycles and tricycles. Barrow in the same District Council area doesn't mention tricycles on their notices. Once again I rang the number and asked about tricycles. I was told that they didn't understand what I meant but if it looked like a car it was a car. I asked how vehicle type was determined and was told not to be difficult - the Parking Attendant could obviously see what sort of vehicles were parking.

Intentionally or not it always seems that the more arcane rules are designed simply to trap the unwary - not to help 'customers' park. I have to accept that you know about Local Authority contracts and that I do not but I find it hard to believe that the people employed to police car parking are not paid by results. There have been too many incidents (even locally) of inappropriate ticketing of occupied hearses, a Fire Engine, even an Ambulance on call, for me to believe that it is simply individual operative stupidity.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
If I have to use a car park I usulay try to put the over hang over the Grass if not I buy two tickets
Bill

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
When we were on our last trip away, we didn't know where all the parking was, so in advance, we used @GJH s web site:) and additional info to contact the local authorities. Nearly every time we were told, we don't have dedicated parking, but if you use 2 bays, you must pay for them. Very straight forward and easy. Where there were parking areas, again we were told, park in dedicated bay, or park in coach bay. We were even told if we use a car bay, use the bays in a certain area and overhang the grass. There was another website from the MCC that gave the parking areas and they all stated use 2, pay for 2 or overhang the grass etc. Spending just a little extra time and effort is much cheaper in the long run.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back