Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
We are planning to take the coastal route from Glasgow to Stranraer next week where we hope to day trip across to Belfast. From my last visit (in a car) I seem to remember that there were height barriers in the port car park. Can anyone confirm that or advise where best to leave our van for the day?

Last edited:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Dumfries & Galloway Council told me they have no car parks available for use by motor homes within the Wigtown area of their authority (which is the one which includes Stranraer).

You could try e-mailing the Wigtown contact Link Removed to see if they can be of help. They may know of private car parks if asked specifically.

Graham

OP
OP
Autoquest

Autoquest

Free Member
Oct 13, 2008
Small EU backwater
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks for that, email duly sent - That's a very informative link you have there :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Hi Autoquest

Im sure your right about the height barriers but if you go about 100yards further along you will see the bus garage and last time i was there you would be able to park on spare ground next to it if not im sure you could park on the sea front dumfries and galloway dont charge for parking but some streets you need a parking disc which are free from local shops or police station.

I personally wouldnt think youd have to much of a problem finding a space you could also try asking the ferry company if they have a space as they have loads of lorries sitting around all the time.

Good luck and if after stranraer your heading for dumfries let me know and i can advise you on a few places to stop.

Gerry

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Best place to park in Stranraer is to drive past the roundabout at the port entrance, go on about 200yds to a mini roundabout and use the breastworks car park there, always plenty of space and it is free as are all the car parks in the town. Its only 5 minutes walk to the ferry terminal from there ( 10 minutes to the ferry).

This is up to date info as we live in Stranraer.

Rgds
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back