Parking etiquette

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by knokinonabit, May 17, 2013.

1. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Some time ago there was a thread on here about the "correct" way to park on a site, ie, awnings same side, hab doors, spacing etc. so I thought that I would share this with you.

A few weeks ago we stayed on a very nice site in Bala, North Wales (www.penybont-bala.co.uk) and after being given our allocated pitch we drove round the horseshoe shaped site road to it. If you can imagine a horseshoe with the rounded bit at the bottom, that's where we were, on the inside of the curve. Directly across the road from us was a caravan, on the outside of the curve, facing in. So if we had reversed onto the pitch we would have been looking directly into the caravan and would have had no view. So under instructions from the Boss, I drove in, and we had a nice view of the hills etc. All of the other units were sited facing in over, so missing out on views and staring into each others homes. There was plenty of space between pitches, so no one stepped out onto someone else.

The next morning we went for a walk into Bala for a couple of hours and when we returned everyone of the motorhomes was turned round and even one of the tuggers had turned their van round, so everyone had a view of the lake or the hills. The exception being the tugger who was parked opposite us. He had a view of the rear of our MH and backed onto trees. Looked like a seasonal pitch anyway so they didn't seem bothered.

The moral ?

Don't be like sheep and follow the flock if it doesn't upset anyone else. :thumb:

• Like Like x 13
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Just like in here then !!

• Like Like x 3
  3. WynandJean

WynandJean Funster

Yes, it makes sense to park for the best view and practical considerations rather than convention. Obviously other people's privacy is also a consideration.

I have to say I was surprised when I first heard of sites insisting that your door should face this way or that way, after all, if you face your door away from others you still have windows facing them. If you want total privacy then maybe wildcamping is the route to take.

Wyn

• Like Like x 2
  4. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

I'm all for parking for the best view!

The rules need to be observed on small sites though..

I stopped at the very 'bijou' Caravan Club site at Caernarvon, North Wales a few years ago and parked in accordance with the (I thought) strict CC rules.

Went for a walk, came back and found a caravan had pitched next to me, large awning erected and 4x4 parked next to it. I couldn't open my habitation door!

When I spoke to the warden, he said it would be easier if I just turned my van round. That meant my view was of the offending caravan instead of rolling fields for the rest of the week.

:Sad::Sad:

5. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

I like to position either to benefit from the sun morning or evening,or the view,unless you are on a club site and park their way! This is the reason I prefer CL/CSc to club sites.

• Like Like x 2
  6. busby

busby Funster

I would have moved to another site.

• Like Like x 5
  7. Janine

Janine Funster Life Member

If it wasn't such a lovely site, I would have :Smile:

8. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Was your neighbour's unit encroaching on your pitch ? If so, the warden should have had him resite. . .. If not why did you not move to the center of your pitch.. ?

there are plenty of complaints on the Club forum about humongous RVs blocking peoples sunlight and view .. but that's life.. We have to live and let live..

Last edited: May 17, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

Avoid the sites, you avoid the rules!:thumb:

10. duane0001

duane0001 Read Only Funster

Rules are for Tools

11. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

We often have the van moved at this and that angle until I feel we are getting the best views on the site, Ed has been heard to complain that we use as much diesel siteing it as getting there :Doh::BigGrin:

• Like Like x 8
  12. Popeye

Popeye Funster

Carol, my dearest, please go and pat Ed on the shoulder and tell him he has sympathetic mates on here.........Griff :Doh:

• Like Like x 4
  13. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

One of the downsides of the more tightly-packed aires is having to take it in turns with your neighbour to open your hab doors. Entente cordiale and all that.

14. Terry

Terry Funster

Well we have never come across this :Smile: We must be either sheep and follow the rest -- or as I normally take one look at the pitch and decide which way round I want to be ie nose in or out I don't give a stuff :BigGrin: I can lower my rear air suspension by around 8 ins so if on a slope that decides which way in -comes in vey handy on hills -reverse up and lower giving us as near to level that I can be bothered with :BigGrin:
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  15. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Your profile says that you are a HGV driver, I assume you know and follow the rules regarding HGV driving !!! As a motorcyclist you would be more vulnerable than most to other road users with the attitude that " Rules are for Tools "

I am assuming your comment was tongue in cheek :Smile:

16. Shuggy68

Shuggy68

17. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

Baah
    [​IMG]

18. teddybard

teddybard Read Only Funster

19. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

As we checked into a site tonight, there was a woman in the warden's office having a rant about someone's large motorhome overhanging the pitch.
    She suggested to the warden that perhaps large motorhomes should pay more than someone with a caravan:Sad:
    Surely someone with a caravan, plus car and an awning is taking up more space and should be paying more than say someone with a motorhome and no awning?:RollEyes:
    As we came in towards the end of the conversation we didn't get involved, but the warden was glad to see the back of her:Laughing:

20. GlobeStar

GlobeStar Read Only Funster

Parked other way round today to all the other vans so we can overlook the glorious Mosel river as our door is on the uk side to all the european vans. The sun is shining the wine and lager cold!
    Parked on a wonderful steplatz on the outskirts of Traben.
    Bliss.

• Like Like x 9