Parking close to or at Newhaven Ferry Port (1 Viewer)

Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
We are returning to Newhaven ferry port on 3rd November docking at 9pm. We want somewhere to park up for the night. I found a promenade car park at £10 overnight but it said it closed from November. I emailed them twice but no reply!

I know there are some pub options but as we are arriving at 9pm I don't think we would get to any pub in time for a meal.

I also know there is parking in the ferry terminal but don't know if this is just for outbound customers. Seaford sea front parking has also been mentioned.

Can anyone suggest overnight parking please? Quite happy to pay a tenner.

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Telscombe Tavern, stayed there overnight and just had a pint, which they were fine about.
That sounds good. I've found an email address for them so will email them to check they're happy with me turning up. Thank you.

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
enough to know i shouldnt touch things i know nothing about ....
Thornebt

If you zoom in you can see the phone number - hope that helps ?

This was taken just before Easter this year

IMG_20230323_094117.jpg

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
Thornebt

If you zoom in you can see the phone number - hope that helps ?

This was taken just before Easter this year

View attachment 828281
Thanks. I wonder if they remove the 2m height restriction at night. I'm just under three metres.
I'm hoping to stay at the Telscombe Tavern at the moment as suggested above

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
The bloke who acts as the 'warden' lives in a van on site. He will make sure the barrier is lifted well before you need to leave ( for anyone else thinking of staying there in the future)

Jul 14, 2019
UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer MLT 570
Exp
Our 1st Motorhome
We stayed overnight in the Newhaven ferry car park earlier this year, ready for the ferry the following morning. It was all very relaxed, no payment required, so I wouldn't have thought there's be a problem for you to park up on arrival. Perhaps give the ticket office a call to check?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
Thanks. I wonder if they remove the 2m height restriction at night. I'm just under three metres.
I'm hoping to stay at the Telscombe Tavern at the moment as suggested above

I was in there a couple of days ago and several m/homes were parked inside.
Contact details on the approach sign.......

1698443445107.png

Sep 15, 2018
Funster No
MH
Self build
Exp
Since 2009
when I arrived on that ferry, I went into the help desk and asked about parking overnight. I was told to park at the big car park just behind the main road, there was already 5 motorhomes parked there. We had a quiet night after the buses stopped running.

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I was in there a couple of days ago and several m/homes were parked inside.
Contact details on the approach sign.......

View attachment 828301
We used this on our way out this year and would reccomend. Just drive up and call the mobile number and you will be let in. We got there at 5ish paid the tenner and had a good night.

OP
OP
Thornebt
Feb 21, 2022
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Cotswold
We used this on our way out this year and would reccomend. Just drive up and call the mobile number and you will be let in. We got there at 5ish paid the tenner and had a good night.

It looks like the height restriction barrier is padlocked? Was it in place when you arrived?

MisterB

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 25, 2018
Essex
Funster No
MH
Adria 670 SLT
Exp
Yes but you call the number and the man unlocks it for you, he lives on site I believe.
just ring on the number i highlighted earlier - why not ring before you leave home to set your mind at rest?

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
We are returning to Newhaven ferry port on 3rd November docking at 9pm. We want somewhere to park up for the night. I found a promenade car park at £10 overnight but it said it closed from November. I emailed them twice but no reply!

I know there are some pub options but as we are arriving at 9pm I don't think we would get to any pub in time for a meal.

I also know there is parking in the ferry terminal but don't know if this is just for outbound customers. Seaford sea front parking has also been mentioned.

I have always parked in the ferry terminal car park when outbound and on return, usually arrive back from Dieppe about 8.30pm. So I asked the girl in reception was it OK as we had just disembarkedand she said yes, no problem at all, when I asked her about the notice on the fence stating £5 for parking she said you won't be charged, so I put a notice in my windscreen stating that I had just disembarked and was told by reception to park ,No problems have done this for the past 5 years..Hope this helps.

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
That parking tip on return sounds good to me. The last trip coming back in October I costed in a comparison with Eurotunnel, but didn't want to return in the evening with a 3 or 4 hour drive to contemplate. Parking up would cover it nicely 🙂

MichaelT

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 12, 2015
Colchester
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Esprit I7150 EB
Exp
Since 2016
I have always parked in the ferry terminal car park when outbound and on return, usually arrive back from Dieppe about 8.30pm. So I asked the girl in reception was it OK as we had just disembarkedand she said yes, no problem at all, when I asked her about the notice on the fence stating £5 for parking she said you won't be charged, so I put a notice in my windscreen stating that I had just disembarked and was told by reception to park ,No problems have done this for the past 5 years..Hope this helps.
I should imagine its pretty noisy as that's a very busy road?

Dec 10, 2018
Exmouth
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion

For an early crossing or an evening ferry arrival in Newhaven we park in the small carpark at the port entrance adjacent to the railway station. We have never been charged and have had peaceful nights.

Oct 23, 2023
Funster No
MH
Hobby optima T65GE

You will be OK on the promenade, as long as the tide is out because if its windy and tide is in there is a lot of salty spray which will cover your van. The other option is smugglers rest just along from telscombe tavern.

Oct 6, 2022
Funster No
MH
ldv
Came off the early morning ferry last Friday. Saw this lay by. Not far past there (driver took a wrong turning) was a brilliant bacon butty but even if you're not hungry, it's worth a stop just to watch the three lasses there getting through their customer queue. This place also seemed to have plenty of parking but we pulled up on the lay by.

Screenshot_2023-10-29-14-05-19-095_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg Screenshot_2023-10-29-14-16-21-413_com.google.android.apps.maps.jpg

Tude

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp

It’s free to park overnight at the terminal it’s immediately on your left as you arrive 👍

Mar 18, 2018
Cumbria, UK
Funster No
MH
Westfalia Amundsen
Exp
Since 2002

Another vote for Telscombe Tavern at Peacehaven. They are really friendly and not bothered about late arrival. You do need ramps as the car park is quite slopey. And it is exposed to strong south or westerly winds.

cantonalegod

Free Member
Nov 1, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Rapido 8086df
Exp
We always park in the Ferry Terminal car park.
Never had to pay.
Normally quiet, although last Saturday night all hell broke lose with teenagers coming of a few trains in a row and causing problems enough for the dibble to attend!
Won't stop me staying on the way back though😅👍

May 29, 2019
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
35 years

I’ve used the ferry car park several times on arrival back in UK as well as before departure. A parking charge of £5 is signposted but staff at the terminal say its free for anyone travelling with DFDS. That’s a bit ambiguous - does it mean booked to travel or returning from travel? Whatever, there’s always several motorhomes overnighting. I’ve never been asked if I’m going or returning. Has anyone?

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I’ve used the ferry car park several times on arrival back in UK as well as before departure. A parking charge of £5 is signposted but staff at the terminal say its free for anyone travelling with DFDS. That’s a bit ambiguous - does it mean booked to travel or returning from travel?
They mean anyone going out or coming back on a DFDS ferry. There are only DFDS passenger ferries operating at Newhaven.

Jul 10, 2023
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Tempo

I often over night in Seaford, I’d suggest that you go down near the Martello Tower you’ll find plenty of free parking. Loos and drinking water. The signs say 12hrs limit but that doesn’t sound like it will be a problem for you. It’s away from the main circuit so I’ve always found it to be quiet.

DEDB0969-19E5-4867-AD62-791734ADCE38.jpeg

gwyntaxi

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2009
,Swansea
Funster No
MH
hymer starline 655
Exp
42yearscaravanning&motorhoming
I should imagine its pretty noisy as that's a very busy road?
We always get the morning ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, so we always arrive the night before and stay in the ferry terminal car park and the same when we return and we have never experienced any issues with traffic noise.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back