Parking a (heavy) van on a grass pitch....

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Jeannette van den Oever, Mar 24, 2015.

1. Jeannette van den Oever

Jeannette van den Oever Read Only Funster

....when rain is highly likely.
    I'm guessing this is very unwise?
    Are there any relatively bombproof ways to avoid getting stuck?

At the risk of boring everyone again, I think I'll probably have to strike the Luss C&CC off our list. Their hardstanding pitches are only for 8m outfits and we're 8.5m, so we only have the choice of a jumbo grass pitch. Husband's not keen. :cry:
    Checked out the east side road to the Cashel forest site. :eek: Wouldn't want to meet another 9m van coming the other way.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Front wheel drive or rear ?

FWD are useless on wet grass, read a bit better.

3. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Hi

Grass is fine as long as it is well drained and solid just check first the warden will know if there is a problem, access roads can also be a problem.
    We recently had a nightmare and got stuck on a recently badly laid blackash/hardcore road, had not been rolled properly so we sank and had to dig ourselves out. note to self NEVER follow site owner to pitch without walking the route first. Most rallies/exhibitions will be parked on grass without problem

You need to check the hard standing pitches out, they may be 8m long, this does not mean that they are not suitable for MoHo over 8m. Measure your MoHo from front bumper to the back wheels ,and also you overhang, back wheels to back of MoHo. Your MoHo may be 8.5m long but could still fit on an 8m pitch if your wheelbase is short enough and you can hover your overhang behind the pitch over the grass, we are 10m but fit onto most hard standing pitches

worth a try

Adrian

• Like Like x 3
  4. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Sites vary. Devizes C&CC is water retaining, hence they are mostly hardStanding. watched a few people miss the hard standing and plough into the grass.
    Others have rock hard ground most of the year, Moreton C&CC seems to be like that.
    It's always a risk, and the heavier you are it seems the deeper you can sink.

• Like Like x 1
  5. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

We've only bogged down once, in the early days, when we arrived on a grassy pitch in Interlaken just after a freak hailstorm that was denting cars in the street. We drove out eventually, after spraying a lot of mud around. The rest of the time we've been fine on grass. Watch out for patches of sand on coastal sites - that can be a bugger.

Three words - Walk The Pitch before you pull in.

I also carry a pair of Fiamma grip/traction mats. They can be used on their own under the tyres, or under the levelling chocks, or just in front of the levelling chocks to provide additional support on soft ground.

• Like Like x 2
  6. trekkin

trekkin Read Only Funster

Great advice, only not done it once, only got stuck once, follow your instinct

• Like Like x 1
  7. magicsurfbus

magicsurfbus Funster

I recently took the MH when running a trader's table at a weekend antique fair in a county showground. The organisers were directing MHs onto a damp grassy area beside the tarmac car park. I tested the ground on foot, thought 'Bugger that' and stopped overnight in the car park. A MH smaller than mine drove into the grassy bit and sank right up to his axles. He ended up paying someone with a 4WD to tow him out.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Latest Fiat's with traction plus are good even better if you put decent tyres on them.

• Like Like x 1
  9. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

In my experience if the van drives on the grass with very little resistance it will be OK. If you can feel the van being held back the ground is soft.

• Like Like x 1
  10. icantremember

icantremember Funster

We carry a pair of waffle boards/sand ladders which we put down if parking on grass. If I had the space & weight allowance would carry two pairs!

• Like Like x 2
  11. robnchris

robnchris Funster

A simple situation answer don`t park on grass, we rarely use grass pitch only camp sites, at 8.5m you will might well fit on the 8m pitch is there is sufficient overhang.

Caravan club and C&C club won`t tow you off if you get stuck since someone sued them after being pulled out of the mud claiming the warden had twisted their chassis.

12. hilldweller

Serious piece of kit !!

• Like Like x 1
  13. hilldweller

• Like Like x 2
  14. Jeannette van den Oever

Annoying thing about the C&CC website is that they ask you how big your unit is BEFORE you can choose and book a pitch. So I only have the option of the grass one. Still, I guess I shouldn't be judgemental - I've never been to the site, so perhaps the electricity box is immediately behind the van pitch. :)
    Bit of a pain that Luss isn't open yet to ask, but we could book and see how the weather holds.
    Will purchase one of the suggested traction solutions (weight isn't a problem for us, except maybe if it rains ;)).
    If the weather's been terrible and the pitch is poor, does anyone know if the club would reimberse you/release you from the booking, to try a different (dryer) site? There's a couple more on the west side of the loch that we could try, if necessary.
    Thanks again, everyone!

15. lorger

lorger Funster

Take some bread crates with you and if your worried park your front wheels on them so at least you should get moving, as for the East Coast of the Loch you'll get along there no problem as busses use it and they have to get the static caravans in and out of the site at Rowardennan so your van should fit no probs just take it slow and easy there is only one real bad bend the rest is fine.

16. DonA4000

DonA4000 Funster

We have a couple of bread crates (cut up) and I read that using a winter tyre can help, with regards to the use of hard standing at campsites maybe just say that the van is only 7.5m ;)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Every time this type of question comes up you can guarantee bread crates will be tossed into the mix. I feel sorry for the bakers!

Personally I would reverse on a grass pitch from a gravel or asphalt road - there's less distance to push if you need to!

If you can't pick your pitch or how you position your motorhome you may have strayed onto a CC or CC&C club site and as a MOTORHOME owner you have no right being there!

• Like Like x 1
  18. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

I think I must be in some sort of minority but I must be the only person on this site that has never had a problem with a FWD van on grass. Even at music festivals where the number of vehicles make the ground a mess and even when it's been wet we've always just been able to drive straight off. Nothing under the wheels, no tricks or clever kit.

And now I've just jinxed myself and the next time I drive on grass I'm going to sink up to the axles o_O

• Like Like x 5
  19. Jeannette van den Oever

It did cross my mind to 'accidently' type 8.0m. Bound to get sat on the naughty step on my first day at school! ;)
    Where do the Scots source all these bread crates? :) My dad was born and raised in Largs, but never told me how handy they are in a fix. :LOL:

20. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Well we are 8.5 metres and 6 tonne, but rear wheel drive and twin wheels and a diff lock certainly helps when it is really wet. If I think it is going to be really soft I have two sheets of 8 foot x 4 foot 18mm ply that I put in the garage, if I was stuck I could lift the back wheels with the jacks and pads to spread the load and slip the bits of ply under the drive wheels.