P&O no longer doing Portsmouth- Bilbao

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by chatter, Sep 8, 2010.

1. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

Just incase there are other funsters out there that didnt know, P&O Ferries will no longer be doing the Portsmouth - Bilbao crossings as of the end of September, this is not just a break for maintenance but permanent. This will leave Brittany Ferries who are already dearer the only choice if you want to use the longer crossing to spain

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

was that not announced ages ago

I thought that was announced ages ago and Brittany Ferries were taking up the slack with extra services? sure I read it sometime back in the MMM or the CC or CCC magazines?

Bob:Eeek:

3. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

It possibly was but not having used that crossing for a while i wasnt aware of it untill today and only because my other half asked why i didnt take the long crossing when i take the rav to spain for my sis rather than driving through france which has become the norm for me with our dog. Having checked the brittany site, i notice they are now running from Portsmouth and Plymouth, and i have P&O tickets for dover - Calais so no chance of a change of route now

4. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

5. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

excuse me for being a bit of an idiot but is there still a santanda crossing or are they the same.?:Blush:

6. Jackomet

Jackomet Read Only Funster

Just booked my Nav & 5er through Brittany (Octobet 12th), Portsmouth to Santander. Direct it was £444 single as agaist £376 on P&O. Tried through CC&C with their "10% discount", but as it only applies to returns, no go and quoted £436. But it was for an outside cabin with a window:Smile: so went for it. P&O used to leave at 6pm and arrive Bilboa 8 am 2 days later, B take 24 hours with faster and newer ferry.
    All in all if we were to take the route through France at 17 mpg, with tolls (use for speed, easy Diesel access, lack of round-abouts and small villages & 15 mpg) and 3 stops, there is not a lot of difference and zero stress.
    With another 700 miles to get to the south coast, it's a no brainer for me.
    JJ