Oyster Vision 1

Discussion in 'TV & Satellite' started by gibbo57, Sep 6, 2016.

1. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

Hi, I am new to this forum. I am experienced in Motorhoming in Ireland and all around Europe.
    My background is in Electronics Hardware and Software design. As many of you are no doubt aware the Oyster Vision 1 Satellite System is no longer supported by ten Haaft GmbH.
    I have been contacted by several Motorhome owners who were looking for a solution to the problem that did not involve forking out £500-700 for a new Oyster Satellite controller. I now have a working solution to the problem which necessitates an add on box that fits beside the old wedge shaped control panel. The new box has a Keypad and LCD Display the enables the user to input and save new Transponder settings.
    This solution will work for automatic searching for Astra 2 or any other satellite that can be received in Ireland/UK/Europe.
    See attached photo of working unit.
    John

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

We have a fairly simple modification to our Oyster vision 1 it consists of a second LNB a change over switch and a bit of jiggery pokery in the software box and it searches for Astra 1 and locks on, switch the switch and it is on Astra 2.

Martin

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

I take it your box of tricks is FREE to all as you make no mention of being trader and have made no attempt to observe trader advertising rules

• Like Like x 1
  4. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

Some Oyster Vision 1 systems will not lock on to Astra 1 in Ireland/UK. The transponder frequencies/settings are no longer in use.

5. Wanderlust 7

Wanderlust 7 Read Only Funster

Hello Could you give me more information on this box as our Oyster 1 is useless now and we are going to be selling our Motorhome next year so do not want to spend fortunes.

6. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I'm very interested. Can you post more details please?

7. Wanderlust 7

Could you please tell me how much the box is as we are going away shortly and would love our tv to work.

8. funflair

you could try contacting Robert Jackson for the upgrade I have described in post #2

http://www.jacksonsuk.com

Martin

9. Wanderlust 7

Thank you Martin, how much did Robert Jackson charge for it?
    Sue

10. funflair

Ah couple of years ago or three and I honestly can't remember, a few hundred pounds ish.

I guess its worth asking if they still do it and how much.

Martin

11. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

There is no need to spend a penny on upgrades.

If you have an old MK1 Oyster system which cannot be updated and you don’t want to spend anything upgrading the hardware then there is a final option which is manual aligning.

1. Switch on your receiver (digi box) and switch to the signal test menu page. Press Settings -> Option 4-> Option 6 on Sky Viewing boxes or usually under satellite setup on FTA Boxes.

2. Switch on your Oyster system and choose the relevant zone for your current location i.e. Uk = Top / France = Middle & Spain = Bottom. The Oyster system will search but not lock on and eventually stops with an error message of “No Satellite Found”. You need to stop the satellite search before it reaches this error stage. Wait for your Oyster system to start a box search i.e. Dish moves right, then dish moves down, then dish moves left and finally dish moves up and as it goes down and then goes left press the Menu button.

3. Using the right arrow on the control box scroll across to “Manual Search” and press the ok button.

4. Once in this mode you have full manual control over the Oyster and with the up, down, left and right arrows you can manually move the system, however the right arrow and left arrow controls are inverted and do the opposite of what they show. Move the system towards the southwards i.e. to the right from its current location by pressing the arrow one click at a time leaving a few seconds between clicks. Keep doing this until you start to see a signal show on the signal test page. Once the signal is present then peak the signal by using the arrows left, right etc until you have a strong reliable signal then press the ok button on the controller to store the location.

• Informative Informative x 3
  12. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

Just back home from holidays today. The Vision 1 Programmer performed very well while away, no problem finding Astra 2 as far south as Alicante. I am now going to extend the functionality and test it over the next few days and will then be in a position to finalise the kit price.
    By the way the Robert Jackson solution is dependant on the Oyster Vision 1 being able to find Astra 1 this may not be possible in the future if transponders are changed to accomodate more HD channels.
    There is a lot of interest in this modification for Oyster Vision 1 and I am also looking at the possibility of modifying it to work on automatic satellite equipment from other manufacturers who no longer support upgrades for their equipment. If anybody has any specific requests I would be happy to look at it.
    John

• Useful Useful x 1
  13. Figaro

Figaro Funster

@eddievanbitz

Dish moves right, then dish moves down, then dish moves left and finally dish moves up and as it goes down and then goes left press the Menu button.

So are you saying at this stage the dish has found the correct height and just needs adjustment left and right ?

TIA

14. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

In reply to the post from eddievanbits.
    Without a valid transponder setting the Vision 1 controller cannot possibly find the satellite azimuth or elevation. It is possible to find any satellite in view using manual controls but it could take some time and it would be helpful to use a compass and satellite signal meter.

15. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

As others have asked.. Price and availability please @gibbo57 ?

16. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

Sorry for the delay on pricing, I am making some minor changes and will post details on price and availability next week.

17. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

Its about six inches left and one inch down from Astra1 lol

With the digi box or Sky box displaying the signal strength meter it is pretty straightforward to find Astra2 once the system has found Astra1

The biggest problem that we has as a company suggesting that people spend money on electronic upgrades is the fact that the Vision1's are coming to the end of their natural lives, seals going, gearing wearing out and cables breaking etc.

As a Company we bear the brunt of the complaint when someone spends money on an upgrade of one part and another fails "I've just spent £ xxxxxxxx"

So the crux is how much will your update cost?

18. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Ah, ok then. I have the Jackson upgrade as post 2 but sometimes it struggles to find astra 1 for some reason it's a bit hit and miss.
    Don't know how these things work but I wondered if transmission power had been reduced to whatever it is Oyster locks on to ?

19. gibbo57

gibbo57 Funster

The cost for the Oyster Vision 1 update will be €200.00
    I will not offer a kit for the moment therefore the Control Unit will have to be shipped to me for modification. The cost for modification and return of the controller is included in the price.
    For clients that are concerned that their system may be reaching the "end of their natural life" I will be offering a full reconditiong service in the near future. This will include a full system check and replacement of wornout parts, motors, gears, bearings and seals.
    John

• Like Like x 1