Oyster Caro - I can't get it to stay open. (1 Viewer)

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
History.

I finally got around to updating the software in my Caro. Update performed OK.
The television displays channel list. I was able to watch the television using the satellite.

In my wisdom I decided to reset the Alphatronics TV to get rid of the SD BBC channels.

Problem.

Now, when I press open on the controller, the dish lifts to almost operational position and then immediately retracts. Has anyone had this problem? Can you shed some light on where I've gone wrong. If Satandpcguy can help it would be really appreciated.

Phil.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
History.

The television displays channel list. I was able to watch the television using the satellite.

In my wisdom I decided to reset the Alphatronics TV to get rid of the SD BBC channels.

Problem.

Now, when I press open on the controller, the dish lifts to almost operational position and then immediately retracts. Has anyone had this problem? Can you shed some light on where I've gone wrong. If Satandpcguy can help it would be really appreciated.

Phil.

Phil,
I may be able to help, just need to check out a couple of things and I'll get back to you tomorrow! 👍

Jun 30, 2011
Barnard Castle, UK
Funster No
MH
Concorde Concerto
Exp
Since 2007
History.

Problem.

Phil.
How did you update the software, our Oyster Caro just goes up, round and round but now doesn’t find any signal
It retracts fine though.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Quote "How did you update the software, our Oyster Caro just goes up, round and round but now doesn’t find any signal
It retracts fine though."

Downloaded from here. Load to a USB stick (Note - the control unit doesn't like USB3 sticks)

I plugged a USB lead+USB Stick into the control unit. The followed the instructions in a PDF I found on the Oyster site.

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good afternoon Taran_Las ,

I'm thinking that the DiSEqC being on is a possibility so nice catch Lenny HB but it could also be the frequencies that the system is looking for that aren't correct. The Vision II software isn't updated for 2024 changes since the BBC HD switchover so best thing is to give me a call when with the system on 01858575928. I'm in the office until 5pm today or from 8:30am tomorrow. If I'm not available just ask for Pat. He knows what I know so one of us will have it sorted within 10 minutes.

Also, many thanks to Just smiffy for the tag.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009

Anthony OysterTech

Thanks for responding.

I feel a right clown.:clown:

I've just switched on the television and the dish opened and performed an autosearch for Astra2. I instigated a retune on the television and low and behold I have hundreds of channels. I'm going to make a note of the satellite parameters just in case I'm in a similar situation again.

Once again, many thanks for being such a help to :clown: like me.

Regards.

Phil.

PS - my service level is now 3.61 004 Caro+ V3 00517
FPGA V1.0 C Box V5 1.10

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008

Anthony OysterTech

Thanks for responding.

I feel a right clown.:clown:

I've just switched on the television and the dish opened and performed an autosearch for Astra2. I instigated a retune on the television and low and behold I have hundreds of channels. I'm going to make a note of the satellite parameters just in case I'm in a similar situation again.

Once again, many thanks for being such a help to :clown: like me.

Regards.

Phil.

PS - my service level is now 3.61 004 Caro+ V3 00517
FPGA V1.0 C Box V5 1.10

Good morning Taran_Las

No problem at all. To be honest things make a little more sense now you've posted the version number as well.
You have a Caro + Vision III which is essentially a Cytrac unit with the Caro dish and arms attached where as the old Caro was a lot different. The 3.61 V3 software will have the up to date frequencies however by the sounds of things you have the premium version which comes with an Oyster Avtex TV. If you'd like the channels ordered for your viewing pleasure then just drop me an email anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk and I can send you new channel list files with instructions on how to apply it. As long as you have a USB stick it should be a 2 minute update.

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning Taran_Las

No problem at all. To be honest things make a little more sense now you've posted the version number as well.
You have a Caro + Vision III which is essentially a Cytrac unit with the Caro dish and arms attached where as the old Caro was a lot different. The 3.61 V3 software will have the up to date frequencies however by the sounds of things you have the premium version which comes with an Oyster Avtex TV. If you'd like the channels ordered for your viewing pleasure then just drop me an email anthony@oystersat-tech.co.uk and I can send you new channel list files with instructions on how to apply it. As long as you have a USB stick it should be a 2 minute update.
Anthony,

Thanks for the additional information. I don't have an Avtex television. I have an Alphatronics tv. It's a German import van. If the ordered channel list is of use to me then I will say yes to having it, if not, thanks for the offer.

Taran.

One thing I did notice is that the controller didn't like my USB3 stick. It was OK with USB2.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
I now have an additional problem. Anthony OysterTech What parameter controls whether the dish stays up when I've switched the television off? Prior to my s/w update the dish would stay up until I pressed the control unit switch a number of times or it received the d+ signal. Now, if I press the red button on the remote, switch the TV off at the switch it retracts the dish. Help please.:oops:

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Good morning Taran_Las

The unit (if it is a premium) will have Receiver control turned on which raises the dish when the satellite side of the TV powers on and lowers the dish when the voltage is cut. Do you have a four button control panel with your system?

OP
OP
Taran_Las
Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Good morning Taran_Las

The unit (if it is a premium) will have Receiver control turned on which raises the dish when the satellite side of the TV powers on and lowers the dish when the voltage is cut. Do you have a four button control panel with your system?
Thanks for responding Anthony. Yes I have, (from left to right) a Satellite button(with a light), Left, Right (arrows) and a Tick button.

Last edited:

Anthony OysterTech

Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Thanks for responding Anthony. Yes I have, (from left to right) a Satellite button(with a light), Left, Right (arrows) and a Tick button.
Right well that's perfect. There's an option called receiver control that will be turned on so your TV can control the dish but there are different options. Off - This will obviously not control the dish unit at all so you'd use the control panel to manually raise and lower the dish. Auto standby - This will raise the dish when the system detects power coming from the coax connected to the TV and lower it when this power is cut. Auto sleep - This will raise the dish when the system detects power coming from the coax connected to the TV but leave it up when this power is cut.

To access the setting to change this option simply follow the step by step guide below :-

1, Turn on system
2, Press tick to stop system and display "Main menu"
3, Press tick to display "Settings"
4, Press tick to display "Language"
5, Scroll left/right until "Receiver control" is displayed
6, Press tick to display current setting
7, Scroll left/Right to alter the setting as required
8, Press tick to store setting and return to display "Receiver control"
9, Press on/off button until "Main menu" is displayed
10, Press on/off button to retract or tick button to search.

Hope that helps but if you get any problems call the office on 01858575928

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back