Overnight somewhere near A14 Peterborough/Cambridge area

Discussion in 'UK Touring' started by chopper602, Jul 21, 2014.

1. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

We're off on our European tour later in the week and I've managed to wangle an extra half day off work, so rather than getting straight down to Dover, we thought we might go half way and have less to travel the next. So we're leaving Teesside and looking for somewhere about half way, which by my reckoning is about the area contained in the thread title. Any suggestions?

2. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

You could stay at either the Peterborough Services on the A1 or the Cambridge Services on the A14 but it will cost you £22 at either one.
    If you are a member of either the Camping Club or Caravan Club have a look for a CL or CS site just off the road.

Mike

3. Mikeco

Mikeco Funster

There is also Lyndon Top which overlooks Rutland Water, a few miles of the A1 but only £7 a night. No facilities but just big fields.

Mike

4. RS_rob

RS_rob Funster

Word of warning the A14 is a major trunk for containers in & out of felixstow docks & dependant on freight movements you can find a hell of a lot of trucks parked up along that route, I have found it impossible at times to find a laybye in which to pull in & have a tacho break.

5. chopper602

chopper602 Funster

I think I've found somewhere. A site where I've been to some car club events on the outskirts of St. Ives appears to be a campsite all year round. Burleigh Hill farm, so will probably give them a call tomorrow.
    Cheers for the suggestions

6. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

I've sent you a PM with details of where we 'wildcamp' just a stone's throw off the A14 around where you want to be ... :D