Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Hi all, newbie here again.

We just had our first holiday in our new (to us), Rapido. Dog slept outside in a cage with no problem, but missed having any kind of flooring outside the step. We have a wind out awning (top only), but no sides. Looked at those tents you buy that bolt onto the side and did not like the idea of putting up a tent when stopping in the motorhome (we just upgraded from camping) :D
Any advice on a type of flooring that will keep the mud down and not take up too much space when folding up?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
I used to use a standard outdoor mat but now I use the square plates that you use for "grass protection" in car parks or play areas. They are light weight and sit in the doorway when travelling.

Upvote 0

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988
We bought this sort of thing from one of the motorhome shows. They're quite good but if used on grass, they don't interlock properly and can present a trip-hazard.
552101.jpg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
I was looking at these tiles recently and did think two things. First, like you said, they might not stay interlocked and second they don't roll into a tube shape that can be stored easy, they are a bit bulky.
I guess I'm looking for a surface that can be rolled out to about 3m long and 2m wide that is quick to put down and easy to roll back up.

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Hi all, newbie here again.

We just had our first holiday in our new (to us), Rapido. Dog slept outside in a cage with no problem, but missed having any kind of flooring outside the step. We have a wind out awning (top only), but no sides. Looked at those tents you buy that bolt onto the side and did not like the idea of putting up a tent when stopping in the motorhome (we just upgraded from camping) :D
Any advice on a type of flooring that will keep the mud down and not take up too much space when folding up?
Just read about your dog sleeping outside ... if its a house dog it would definitely have been cold so you may want to rethink that.

As for flooring a lot of people buy the Moroccan mats which they then roll up and put on a bike rack when travelling.

http://www.moroccanmatting.co.uk/matting_range.html

Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
That looks good, may look into the Moroccan mating. Thank you.
Re the dog, he's a husky and lives outside so no fear there. I don't get too worried until it drops to -10. Having said that, a couple of nights he wanted to stay in the MH with us, we think he was scared of the rabbits

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
That looks good, may look into the Moroccan mating. Thank you.
Re the dog, he's a husky and lives outside so no fear there. I don't get too worried until it drops to -10. Having said that, a couple of nights he wanted to stay in the MH with us, we think he was scared of the rabbits
Hopefully polar bears wont worry him ... :D

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Treadlight available on eBay pretty good and 6m X 3m around £30

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Oh and Astroturf's quite good but difficult to store in the moho when it's wet.
if you have a fixed rear ladder its easy to roll up the mat/turf and bungee strap to the ladder.
a common sight with Moroccan mats which shouldn't be folded.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
Looks like I have a choice now :) Both the Fiamma and Moroccan mat have good points. The only thing about the Fiamma is the sodding great advert across it. It's like them T-shirts that want you to pay for a full width advert across your chest.

Upvote 0

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@styleruk Just saying Hi. Great to have another Essex Motorhomer on board.
I haven't got a dog, but sound advice from those above who do.

My sister-in-law has a Husky. Big paws! Lotsa mud!

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
From what I can tell from the pictures it looks like the Fiamma Mat is just a more expensive version of the Moroccan Mat.

Happy to be corrected though.

Upvote 0

Kingham

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 20, 2016
Kirkcudbright, D&G
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham 2017
Exp
Since 2009
.... The only thing about the Fiamma is the sodding great advert across it. It's like them T-shirts that want you to pay for a full width advert across your chest.
Must admit, the advert is a bit OTT, but I stopped noticing it after a while.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
styleruk

styleruk

Free Member
Dec 17, 2016
brentwood, uk
Funster No
MH
Rapiddo A class
Exp
@styleruk Just saying Hi. Great to have another Essex Motorhomer on board.
I haven't got a dog, but sound advice from those above who do.

My sister-in-law has a Husky. Big paws! Lotsa mud!
Cheers.
Yes, he is big and does collect mud, but he's loving the cold at the moment.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
We bought some windbreak netting from allplas.co.uk , the higher the shading value, the smaller the weave, so we had the highest one. You can buy varying widths by the metre, it lasts for ages, washes easily and stops mud getting indoors. We have two labradors, so can recommend it ! Folds up small and is light to carry. You will need some of those flat topped large drawing pin type pegs to hold it down, too. We put up a Kampa awning when staying for long periods (tow a toad) and if you put it under your awning and continue it outside, the awning skirt stays mud free. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
We have a treadlite but I'm liking the look of the Moroccan mats...(y)

As for the huskie bring him down to Benidorm, he'll be right at home...:D

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
You need to train your mind to think Caravan, when you have done that go along to your local Caravan dealer and buy some awning mat off the role. Had two Moroccan mats but the last one only lasted 2 years unlike the first one which lasted around 5 years so I'm off them at the moment.

Upvote 0
Oct 28, 2011
west midlands
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
new
Agree about the Moroccan matting, not the same quality as it used to be. Replaced an old one that didn't fit with new one from show at Peterborough in 2015, was quite shabby and had a few "faults" in it when opened out at home. No response from website when I wrote to enquire about exchange, so lesson learned !

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back