Orkney-Gills Bay from Norfolk. (2 Viewers)

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Well I've managed to buy a Suzuki VanVan, to carry in my Hymer, but its owner lives on Orkney mainland, but is willing to put it on the ferry for me, so I can collect it from Gills Bay. So I'll be travelling from Norfolk to collect it and not having been to Scotland much at all, let alone in a motorhome I'm asking if anyone has any suggestions for any special stopovers en-route on the East coastal route (A9) And while it would be great to take our time over what will be a 1200+ mile return journey we do not have a great deal of time to spare.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
so are you after stops to simply stop/sleep/shit&go or have you time for somewhere nice.?

Dec 14, 2020
Bingley, UK
Funster No
MH
Elddis 120
Exp
That's a hell of a trip.
There are a few guys up near Wick that do a good trade in organising the transport of pedal bikes back down to England after folks have cycled Land's End to John O' Groats. Why not contact them and ask if they could organise the transport of your Vanvan to Norfolk?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Do you want campsites, aires, or off-site?
How long do you want to drive in a day?
etc

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
Do you want campsites, aires, or off-site?
How long do you want to drive in a day?
etc
Aires or offsite would be the preference, we won't be hanging around long enough to need any facilities.
I'm thinking a day driving to Scottish Borders and then maybe 4 days in Scotland.

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
That's a hell of a trip.
There are a few guys up near Wick that do a good trade in organising the transport of pedal bikes back down to England after folks have cycled Land's End to John O' Groats. Why not contact them and ask if they could organise the transport of your Vanvan to Norfolk?
Agree with that, just wish I had more time to make a good trip of it, I have just posted up for quotes on Shiply, but then I do quite fancy doing the journey myself, have only been up that way once on a motorcycle ride (NC500)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
Was he giving it a way?😉

It must be a bargain to justify the time, cost and effort required to collect it. 😎

Ian

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Aires or offsite would be the preference, we won't be hanging around long enough to need any facilities.
I'm thinking a day driving to Scottish Borders and then maybe 4 days in Scotland.

Have a look at Loch Leven Larder at Kinross. Overnight parking and a decent breakfast.
If you fancy bypassing Kessock Bridge and going around The Firth of Beauly you could have a look at The Old North Inn pub stopover.
Also, think you can still overnight in Golspie Beach car park (middle of the village).
There's a number of "stopping places" on the A9 between Latheron and Thurso but right next to the main road.

May 8, 2021
Bedford, UK
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph792F
Exp
Since June 2021
so are you after stops to simply stop/sleep/shit&go or have you time for somewhere nice.?

You're about level with me at Bedford. I've personally done Bedford to North Berwick in a day which is just over 6 hrs / 340 miles, also Bedford to the Kelpies at Falkirk which is 6.5 hours / 380 miles. The Kelpies is a tenner overnight, but North Berwick rugby club car park is free, neither have facilities.

After that you're about another 6.5 hours / 300 miles from Gills Bay but thats a very different drive to the previous day as it's going to be mainly single carraigeway and even harder after the previous days drive, when I did it last year on my trip to Orkney my next stop after North Berwick was the Cairngorms (3.5 hours / 170 miles) which has a great motorhome stop, gated and needs booking pre 11am, £12, bins and water available too and fantastic views. https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=26231

Then my next stop was Helmsdale Harbour https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=23403 no facilities but great wee stop and nice food in the village. From the Cairngorms this is only 110 miles / 2.5 hrs drive so a lazy day and then up the next day to get to Gills Bay and pick up the bike ( now only an hour and 20 mins / 55ish miles) handy if the bikes coming on the early ferry as you could pick up and head straight back to Helmdale to head home.

However, from the Cairngorms you could head straight to Dunnet Head https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22792 which is 160 miles and just less than 4 hours. I stayed here too and loved it, no facilities and costs a tenner but great views and loads of puffins about! Youre only 12 miles / 20 mins from Gills bay now.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
'Taste Perthshire' is just off the A9, at Bankfoot just north of Perth PH1 4EB. Road noise if you're ok with that, nice flar car park. Hot food 8am to 8pm including takeaway. Shop, Fuel.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
'Taste Perthshire' is just off the A9, at Bankfoot just north of Perth PH1 4EB. Road noise if you're ok with that, nice flar car park. Hot food 8am to 8pm including takeaway. Shop, Fuel.
Agreed it is a good stopping point. We have used it a few times.

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Usually do the drive to Thurso in a day - just 9 hours or so - so my only advice would be fill up at Asda Tain. It's only just off the A9 and is cheaper than most places on the way for food and fuel! Although I have parked the MH at Duncansby Head for the night once.

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
........so my only advice would be fill up at Asda Tain. It's only just off the A9 and is cheaper than most places on the way for food and fuel! ......
Or Morrisons in Alness as that has a Lidl's next door whereas the Lidl's in Tain is at the other end of the Burgh.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
There’s a good selection of stopovers on Search for sites app👍😊

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
However, from the Cairngorms you could head straight to Dunnet Head https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=22792 which is 160 miles and just less than 4 hours. I stayed here too and loved it, no facilities and costs a tenner but great views and loads of puffins about! Youre only 12 miles / 20 mins from Gills bay now.
If heading as far as Dunnet Head I think you can actually overnight at the Gills Bay terminal. Not the same views right enough! :whistle2:

Mar 26, 2018
Ormskilrk
Funster No
MH
Swift Voyager 685FB
Ps....if passing stop in at Castletown Harbour. It's the only drystone harbour you are likely to see! Thousands on Caithness slabs piled on one another to make a harbour.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
From Norfolk (Dereham) I drive the pretty way to see family in Teesside (Boston, Horncastle, Caistor, Humber Bridge, Wetwang , Malton, Helmsley, Stokesley): 5 hours compared to 4h up the A1.
By the end of the day I’m parked at my favourite BritStop close to Bamburgh: get there late but enjoy a good breakfast.

Then Edinburgh bypass and onto my second favourite BritStop between Aviemore and Grantown.

A steady drive to JoG
We stayed at The Crofters Snug: CAMC CL with great views BUT CDP at the top of a hill (trolley provided to get it up there)

Gordon

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
Ahh I didn't know you could I have to admit.
Last time we went over both the Gills Bay and Scrabster ferries were off due to bad weather.
When we turned up for our booking, the day the Gills Bay sailing recommenced, there were a number of motorhomes there who had arrived a day or two before. Don't think it was special dispensation for the cancellations as a couple of them said nobody had bothered with them.
One of them was actually from New Zealand in a hired van! The one that reversed on after us.

1693318483568.png

OP
OP
Westbarn1

Westbarn1

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 25, 2019
Norwich
Funster No
MH
Hymer BMC-T 600
Exp
From Norfolk (Dereham) I drive the pretty way to see family in Teesside (Boston, Horncastle, Caistor, Humber Bridge, Wetwang , Malton, Helmsley, Stokesley): 5 hours compared to 4h up the A1.
By the end of the day I’m parked at my favourite BritStop close to Bamburgh: get there late but enjoy a good breakfast.

Then Edinburgh bypass and onto my second favourite BritStop between Aviemore and Grantown.

A steady drive to JoG
We stayed at The Crofters Snug: CAMC CL with great views BUT CDP at the top of a hill (trolley provided to get it up there)

Gordon
Come on then Gordon, I signed up for Britstop this year, let me know where your favourites are :)

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
NE83/23
A lovely farm shop just 100 metres from the A1 but very quiet. Mainly flat carpark. Often closed if I’m doing a long drive north but I phone ahead. Good food and good coffee

S48/23
Garden centre and farm shop (we tend to avoid pubs) with red squirrels in abundance. Park among pine trees for a peaceful sleep but only 100 metres from a main road (we followed the satnav from the north first time: big mistake). Small friendly cafe although they were building something new last time we visited so it may have changed.

[S13/23 is another garden centre that we have used: huge place in a nice situation but it had bird scarers going off every few minutes. I asked to move from where they wanted us into the walled garden and it was much quieter, although they weren’t keen on my move.]

Hopefully next year’s app will have different categories marked with coloured symbols.

Gordon

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back