Opinions On This?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by CHF, Jun 15, 2015.

1. CHF

CHF Funster

2. Yorick

Yorick Funster

My Transit has done 155,000 so mileage not a problem.

But you make have trouble selling it on as folk do panic about high miles.

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

70000 miles is not even fully run in. Now all you have to worry about is it watertight :whistle:.

4. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    No mention of service history which is much more important than mileage.
    4 berth but only 2 belted seats.

If they can come up with some decent service history and there are only 2 of you, it could be a good buy.

The mileage might be a useful price negotiation feature.

5. CHF

CHF Funster

Yes only two of us (plus cat and dog) hence the need for U lounge and only require 2 belts.

As for watertight, how do I approach this? Ive seen the damp meters but also read if you dont know where to look then there a waste of time! Is it viable to have it checked out after purchase and return if a problem?

The milegae is a concern as are going into this with the view that if it doesnt suit we can cash it back in a hopefully only lose a few k so would still want to get a decent resale in 12 months if requried.

6. CHF

CHF Funster

Are you specifically referring to the fact its a Swift or just in general? I have read about swifts leaking.

7. CHF

CHF Funster

Called about service history but it sold on friday! - thanks anyway.

8. GeriatricWanderer

GeriatricWanderer Funster

Now back in Sarfend for a couple of months.
    Nothing to stop you asking Baldwin's if they would give you some form of damp guarantee, maybe 12 months?
    Worth a pop.

Don't forget, if you bought it at around that price and then decided to sell it privatel after 12 months you may well take quite a knock, so do whatever you can to get that price down.
    Do you know how long they've had it in stock?

9. gibbon

gibbon Read Only Funster

That is the same engine as we have in our 2000 W reg Autotrail, regularly serviced & it goes like a train.
    70k is nothing for a big diesel like that, ours is in the 80k range now, I'd drive to Portugal in it tomorrow if I could, like I did last year, no worries.
    I've been told to expect it to go at least twice around the clock before any concerns .
    Better a van that's been a regular runner than an older van that's been stood for most of its life.
    As long as it gets clean oil & filters, cam belts as specified etc.
    Can't comment on the swift part but it looks good. As has been said just confirm its a dry one(y)
    Forgot to mention that there has been 5th gear issues with Fiats of this era, just something to watch out for, ask the seller like I did. He showed me receipts for a repair & advice re how best to treat 5th.
    Plenty of threads on here about it if you want to do some research.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  10. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

In general. Though Swift have had some real disasters in the water ingress department.

Get someone who can really use a damp meter to over and under it. The cost of repairs could be horrendous if you have bad water ingress.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Snowbird

As Brian stated, Swifts had a horrendous reputation for water ingress and if contemplating buying one of there models especially as a first time buyer get an independent damp survey done before parting with any money.

• Like Like x 1
  12. CHF

CHF Funster

Thanks. How do you go about finding a damp inspector? I'm now looking at a Elddis.

It's only done 25k in 11 years though which seems very low to me. I assume this also can cause problems.

13. CHF

CHF Funster

Same question to you as to Snowbird then. I'm in Manchester area.

14. Snowbird

To be perfectly honest I have never used a mobile caravan engineer for damp checks as am capable of doing my own, but I would imagine any competent caravan engineer would do one for you.

15. PaulyP

PaulyP Funster

One I have used is JMR Caravan Care.
    He is based in Urmston just near me, His name is Jonathan, 07810 677 410.
    If you google you can find quite a few caravan/motorhome engineers in and around Manchester.

Also look up BCS Manchester, we bought our last MH from there, based in Littleborough, all the vehicles were nicely presented and undercover, have a look at their website.

• Like Like x 1
  16. CHF

CHF Funster

Nothing suitable at BCS unfortunately.

17. kglblue

kglblue Funster

I think the U shaped lounge is much more flexible, comfortable seating for a glass or two of wine in the evening and then a quick conversion to the night time sleeping arrangement. We have a bed making up routine, that gets it over with in a couple of minutes, organised by my wife of course. Took me a couple of rewrites to make that sentence seem less suggestive lol. We currently have the swift escape 622 with a U shaped lounge. it does for us. Our first van was an Elddis Sunseeker 25, we knew nothing at all about the dangers of damp and later had to pay £800 to have it sorted. I now check with my damp meter a couple of times a year.

18. solo 1

solo 1 Funster Life Member

Lovely van... cant beat end lounge... only point for me is no rear seat belts for taking anyone with you... why make a 4 berth when you can only take two? Still it looks in great condition. Good luck (y)

19. Sas r us

Sas r us Funster

my self I would rather a base vehicle be used on a regular basis then one that has been stored on damp grass for many months so a higher mileage would not bother me, most of these diesels are meant for delivery drivers doing hundreds of thousands of miles.... As long as they are serviced regular, 10-15k a year would not bother ma at all.
    Just make sure you are buying a legit vehicle is most important.
    Happy hunting..

20. Angelwitch

Angelwitch Funster

A shame nothing for you at BCS,we got ours there and were very impressed with aftersales.very helpful bunch.

• Like Like x 1