Opinions on The Camping and Caravan Club.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Bushtrekker, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Bushtrekker

Bushtrekker Read Only Funster

I'm not really a club person, which is why I've always avoided formal camp sites as much as possible, but obviously with a motorhome I'm going to have to use sites every few days. I'd be interested to hear people's views on certified locations and other sites run by the Camping and Caravan Club before joining.

Cheers, John

2. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

joining the c&cc or the cc will save money on insurance for a start.

the other benefits are that you have access to rallies and temporary holiday sites around the uk as well as the excellent network of cl/cs 5 van sites. Also with the c&cc you get discounted RAC cover that will still be effective for larger and older vans, even collecting them from off tarmac. Without the added benefits it makes things more tricky

we are members of both clubs and have been for years, and found both pretty much paid for themselves with discounts and benefits etc

• Like Like x 1
  3. mikebeaches

mikebeaches Funster

We are members of the Camping and Caravanning Club and find there are a number of benefits that work for us:

- Although we like wild camping, sites do have their uses from time to time, and with CCC sites are usually of a reasonable standard.

- The age concession rates make a big difference to the cost of staying outside peak season - some places are very good value.

- The small Certificated Sites (CS) are handy and informal, with a large network across the country.

- The holiday rallies frequently provide exceptional value in peak season, when other places charge an arm and a leg.

- There's usually no need to book on the holiday rallies, just turn up. Stay as long as you like from 1 night upwards - all very laid back and friendly.

- The magazine is OK, though obviously not a great deal of motorhome-specific editorial.

I know a lot of folk gain from arranging insurance, ferry bookings and continental campsite reservations through the Club, although we haven't used those particular services to date.

Overall, the Camping and Caravanning Club offers good value for us. :Smile:

• Like Like x 1
  4. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Said it all, only things to add. I left MCC and joined C&CC saved over £200 for my MH insurance.

5. sedge

sedge Funster

We're members of CC, but in the main use CLs. Pete was a member of CC before the C &CC was invented I think - his original membership number had about 5 digits or something - so we joined it when we bought the MH, it seemed obvious. However because of him working weekends, we have never even been on a single rally, even though some of his contemporaries are not only still in the local group, but still getting elected to office - along with some of the sons and daughters that his own daughters remember from childhood! LOL - so I'm sure we'd be welcomed and even an object of curiosity (eg I remember him but I don't remember her being his wife, nudge nudge stylee!) Pete works long shifts so he's too cream crackered to even go to a Noggin and Natter fairly locally some Saturday.

Anyway what I was gonna say was, the C&CC do seem to offer slightly better VFM to me (holiday rallies without booking being one, age discounts, discounts for single campers - which am not sure I entirely agree with or not really - you take up the same amount of room, you use the same amount of electrickery - a bit more water or showers or loo flushes or cassette empties I spose) but as I have not been on any of their campsites or CSs, can't comment on the general standard offered.

Been pretty happy with the CC sites and CLs we have been on, is all I can say.

• Like Like x 1
  6. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

Wow thats some years of camping considering the C&cc was formed in 1901 and the cc in 1907:Rofl1:

7. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Well Pete IS a REALLY old geezer.. gawd knows how he managed to pull a young chick like Jen

• Like Like x 1
  8. Bushtrekker

Thanks Folks

I originally thought that the Camping and Caravanning club was a re-incarnation of the Caravan Club until I realised they were separate organisations, so it's a bit like the line in my favourite film about The People's Front for Judea and the Judean People's Front.

I can't get my head round the discount on insurance though, because I'm sure members are just as likely to have their vehicles stolen or being involved in an accident as non-members. Do the discounts only apply if you use their insurers, or do other people like Safeguard and Comfort also offer member discounts. This is all useful information as I'm about to insure my van so I can pick it up on Thursday, so if the discount saves me more than the membership it would be worth me joining before I insure, instead of at the first site I use.

Cheers, John

9. philk

philk

C&CC

We are members of both and they each have their uses. Whereas I do use the C&CC for my insurance, this is only because it longstanding and when I needed them they stood on no problem so I return that with continued support. I do not agree that there is any saving to be had as I can undercut the price. Last year we bought a new unit and got a 30 day policy from Caravan Guard, it was loads cheaper. I emailed the quote to C&CC and this years quote was reduced .

Phil

10. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

I think it has all been said really. We are members of the C&CC - mainly for the CS network. We don't use club sites very often - perhaps once a year at most. But the age-related (over 55) rates in mid and low season make some club sites quite reasonable. The price for using motorhome service only (not stopping) is ridiculously high at £7 so we have never used that.
    I used to use them for booking ferries until I realised I could get prices that were as cheap and gather loyalty offers in my own name. Also, I have not used the C&CC insurance but would recommend that you try Comfort insurance for a quote.

11. Bushtrekker

Thanks Philip

At the moment Safeguard are ahead by £100 on insurance, so unless I find something better between now and Thursday I'll probably go with them.

Cheers, Johnn

12. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Hi

We are members of the Caravan Club (CC), The Motor Caravan CLub (MCC) and the Camping and Caravan Club (C & CC).

This year I will not be renewing the Caravan Club Membership as we have not used it at all. I will not be renewing the Motor Caravan Club either as we have not used them either as the Kent Group became too exspensive.

The Camping and Caravan Club will be renewed. We use the DA Section of Kent Motorcaravans and they have brought us to some fantastic places. They do not charge over £7 a night and meet most weekends from April - November.

The temporary holiday sites that the Camping and Caravan Club run are worth their weight in gold as they hold them in popular places and again they are only around £8 a night.

Pretty good value in this day and age is the over 55 discount. In non peak times it is cheaper to use a C & CC Site than some CS's especially if you are a single Motorhomer.

Sonja

• Like Like x 3
  13. 1_man_and_his_dob(lo)

1_man_and_his_dob(lo) Funster

I got a reduction with Safeguard because I was a member of the C&CC.

Although the club sites don't seem too popular with a lot of the MH 'veterans' on this site, they do have their uses - the guaranteed hardstanding I booked at New Quay this week is starting to look like a good move :rain:

14. Viennese

Viennese Funster

I joined C&CC in 2008

and have not regretted it. The club sites are great, the staff helpful and friendly. I don't insure but have had discounted ferry prices. I have not done any events altho' they seem to have a lot of meets. I think, as a golden oldie, that they are good value!

15. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

God your such a clubber

Be a good few years before you can get that then Sonja :Laughing::Wink:

We are caravan club members, gives us choice, we love there CL's and also they have some realy interesting rallies. However at the moment when we get any spare time we like to go to a fun meet, or on our own to a CL.

As for insurance? must be an older person thing then, never have they been within £100 of safeguard for us.
    AS for cheap ferries? not in this day of internet, again never saved a penny.

Try one use it and see how you get on. it's only a few quid, nothing to what your gonna spend on the van over the next few years :Laughing:

• Like Like x 1
  16. castalla

castalla Read Only Funster

Good morning John, We think its money well spent, join the motorhome section they consider the needs of motorhomers, shops, buses, villages nearby and hard standings, you are made welcome in all the other groups.
    Hope this helps. Robert.:thumb:

17. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

just got my confirmation letter cancelling my direct debit

I just got a written communication from them confirming the cancellation of my membership and cancelling my continuous direct debit.

I did not think it is value for money... especially if you have an RV.. to many hassles.

I only belonged for as long as I have for the club discount on the euro tunnel.. since the fees have gone up yet again I can do better booking direct, plus I do not have the issues of chasing them for the ticket number, which I seem to do for every trip... also now ACSI give a you a free carnet, which I had to buy from the CC&C .

Bob

18. alan

alan Funster

Safeguard

I insured last week with Safeguard to start on may Ist and if you're doing it online there is a place to put any motorhome related clubs. I chose to put CC but I'm a member of C&cc as well and I believe I got a discount but not absolutely sure .
    The CC in our opinion has better CL.s but C&cc club sites are better with the age discounts for us older members,and some of there temporary holiday sites are in superb locations as Red Sonja said and affordable.
    Alan

19. Bushtrekker

Comfort wanted £100 more than Safeguard, so Safeguard wins. I Actually discoverd the other day that it is still possible to et from Dover to Dunkirk for £29 if you take the 4am crossing. A key issue for us is being able to travel by bus or train easily from the camp site.

20. Terry

Terry Funster

:Rofl1: Age thing indeed Paul :Eek!: Try phoning them telling your cheapest quote-they promise to beat it by £25 I did it the yr before and the insurers said no could not compete with my quote so I rang CC and told them about the price promise :thumb: Ten mins later I got a call off ins co and they beat it by £25 :Wink::BigGrin:
    terry