Oops Rouen Underpass

Discussion in 'Motorhomes in the News' started by bigmillie, Mar 9, 2012.

1. bigmillie

bigmillie Read Only Funster

Rouen (Seine-Maritime). It is a well known classic trap motorists and truckers who have to cross Rouen (Normandy) through the city center. But the hoppers are always surprising. This Monday, March 5, earlier this afternoon, an RV was engulfed in the hopper, located at street level of Répblique ... And it is embedded.

http://www.paris-normandie.fr/actu/rouen-un-camping-car-bloque-sous-une-tremie

Attached Files:

2. madbluemad

madbluemad

That is the pits. The height sign is clearly visible overhead.
    Jim
    :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  3. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Well it is not the first or the last

Well it is not the first or I suspect the last.. at least it was not a UK motorhome.. I cannot understand how people get caught here. If they took the trouble to check a map and say Google earth and follow the route.. it goes round this problem.. My satellite has never (any of the three I have) taken me in to the town.. It is the third exit after you come out of the long down hill tunnel and that then crosses over the top of the main road and runs down with the river on the right.. you cross over by bridge a few miles down. Done it dozens of times over the years both ways.. never an issue.

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  4. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Deserves every thing he gets......Nowt wrong with the Mk. 1 eyeball !:Doh::Doh::Doh:

:hardhat::hardhat::hardhat::hardhat:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I did the same ( well not quite as bad) in one of the tunnels a few years ago.

It's easier to do than madblumad thinks

• Like Like x 1
  6. madbluemad

madbluemad

We have ended up in the railway sidings a few times.
    Jim
    :Laughing:

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

I didn't say it was easy. If you wanna have a go at me for something then that's fine but don't misquote me.
    Jim
    :cry:

• Like Like x 1
  8. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Bit daft to get stuck, I know they're not well signposted in advance but to keep going when its so obvious that you won't get under is plain daft.
    I have gone as far as going down the slope and had to back up, but only once. In a large vehicle you must know the measurements of your vehicle, perhaps he thought he was less than 2.8m.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

Not having a go at you at all. You referred to it as 'the pits' cos there was a sign overhead.

When we did it there was a road closure which meant we couldn't take the usual road. We drove round Rouen at rush hour and found ourselves in the wrong lane with a wall to prevent us getting into the right lane. First we knew was when a hanging height warning smashed into the mh. We had no choice but to go forward and just managed to fit under the tunnel.

Right laugh it was - later:BigGrin:

10. slobadoberbob

Rubish

I take it you have a satellite? you have a map? and a pair of eyes? .. I rest my case my honourable friend:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob

• Like Like x 2
  11. slobadoberbob

That is not such an issue

That is not such an issue as there is a road between the river (other side) and the railway tracks and if you follow it all the way down you can dog leg back on to the main road again.. I sometimes come back up that way to get a look at the rolling stock, being a train fan .. no not a train spotter.. as in the USA train fanning.. But to get to the train lines you will have crossed the river and it is your last chance to divert i.e first exit on the right after crossing the bridge and drop down below.

Bob

12. madbluemad

madbluemad

When I said it was the pits I meant that it was real bad luck. Us younger guys have a different language than you wrinkles, its all a part of the generation gap.
    Jim
    :BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. EthnGeoff

EthnGeoff Funster

We made a height sign and laminated it, also has the width printed on the back in large numerals which we keep attached in the centre of the dash. I could never memorise the exact dimensions but it's easy to just glance down when approaching bridges etc.
    Geoff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. madbluemad

madbluemad

Same here but its not laminated. Very large red font size.
    Jim
    :Smile:

15. slobadoberbob

if you are over 3.5 tons it is required

If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it. I have my height, width, length and my wight plus the trailer details as well.

Plus I have a satellite system that also records the same and while it does send me the long way round often.. I have not had an issue yet in the UK.. in France the roads (Nationals) may not have all the details, so it is a case of maps and checking the route as well as satellite and then eyes.. I do a lot of night runs when we go to France so we need to be sure well in advance that we have not got to back up 45' ... that is not a lot of fun.

Bob:thumb:

16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Oh gosh! What a shame, there's so many things to think about, width, height etc:Sad:

We managed to mis-judge the height of some flowering cherry trees in Morrisons car park in St Andrews last year:Doh: they weren't in flower and we didn't realise it until we heard the scraping of the branches against the luton cab:Blush::Blush: fortunately it was fairly soft stuff, nothing too solid.

However, you learn by your mistakes I suppose:RollEyes:

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Your 66 !!! :cry:How old do you have to be a "Wrinkly" ????:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

• Like Like x 2
  18. madbluemad

madbluemad

If you are over 3.5 tons it is a legal requirement to have a sign in such a position that the driver can see it.

I didn't know that. You learn something new every day. Now if I had been on RVOC I would have known that woudnt I.
    Jim
    :Laughing:

19. madbluemad

madbluemad

Just chancin it.
    Jim
    :Cool:

• Like Like x 1
  20. slobadoberbob

that would have been an expensive mistake to learn by

That would have been an expensive mistake to make ..... anyone can get caught by the odd tree over hanging, but it is a bit different when there are warning signs hanging down and you ignore them. Do not have a lot of sympathy with people that do not look.:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Bob

• Like Like x 1