Oops, Hymer Mercedes armrest, this looks serious @Terry???

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by DavidG58, May 24, 2016.

1. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

@Terry is this as bad as it looks

Often thought the arms seemed to flex quite a bit under strain :wasntme::wasntme:

IMG_1769.JPG IMG_1768.JPG

Attached Files:

2. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

Actually your name doesn't have to be Terry to reply, anybody else broken the arm off their drivers seat??

or is it just me again o_O

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. Autowbars

Autowbars Funster

Not yet

4. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

New one on me o_O(y)

5. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

The same thing (bolt shearing) happened to me a few weeks ago David. Not serious but a bit fiddly to put right.

The head of the bolt was easy enough to remove with an Allen Key but to remove the part still in the arm I had to clamp the arm in my Workmate, drill a pilot hole and then use a screw remover to take it out (I must have had the drill going the wrong way because I actually screwed it through but never mind it worked :)).

Next problem was finding a replacement bolt to fit. I had some mate coach bolts in my toolbox but they didn't want to screw into the arm and I decided that maybe they were the wrong thread pitch (coarse rather than fine). However, I did find a bolt I had taken off something which was the correct thread. It was some sort of adjuster screw with a plastic head fitted for hand turning so I had to remove that and then cut a slot in the bot head to use a screwdriver on it. Having done that, though, it was a fairly straightforward job of refitting (with Jill's help because it's a four handed job).

I subsequently bought some fine pitch mate bolts but I think they are still the wrong thread as the pitch looks smaller than the original bolt. However, as the arm is fixed I'm not taking it off to try :)

• Like Like x 2
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

and thanks Graham @GJH your input at Misterton with @Terry 's tools we should fix it (y):), presumes you are going of course

7. Bobby22

Bobby22 Funster

Looks like it will slip back in and a grub screw needs fitting......doesn't look like a sheared bolt though.

Probably need to undo upholstery at side/back of seat to investigate.

I'm sure it all means nothing to you @DavidG58 and best put it aside until you do see @Terry

No relaxing driving in Scotland.

Good luck with it ..........but i'm sure its an easy fix.

Last edited: May 24, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi David we probably need to strip seat back off to get to fixing bolt-will go over to Julie's and ask Billy back in a few mins

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. mitzimad

mitzimad Funster

looks like theres someting in the hole at rightangles to the pin either a sheared bolt or has a grubscrew pulled through?

10. big map

big map Funster Life Member

Oops what have you done? Hope it gets sorted...... Quickly.

11. Terry

Terry Funster

OK all Billy has just been over to look at pics and I have spoken to David on phone -upshot is the retaining stud has snapped off and while we are at Missterton we are boobing home for Bill to remove other armrest so we can see exact size stud needed and if we have not got anything it is a case of going to Collins for him to drill and fix a stud in place then back to mine for coffee:Dwhile Billy puts armrests back in =couple of mins to get one out and a min to put back in -Harder to get out than in, plus once he figures how to remove he knows how to fit back in -Thinks on pics it goes into a slot then turn half turn and presses through another slot then turns into place -simple (y):LOL:
    terry

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

is this unique to Hymer's David? or do Motorhomes suffer this too ;)

hope it gets fitted soon.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. Terry

Terry Funster

Forgot to say Billy takes all the front seats to bits for Julie to recover and put them all back together so he knows what he is doing ;)
    ALL SEATS CAN SUFFER THIS IF YOU USE ARM REST TO PUSH YOURSELF UP OUT OF SEAT-ESPECIALLY IF YOUR AS BIG AS ME AND @DavidG58 :D:D:D:D

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Mousy

Mousy Funster Life Member

Seen you legless David, now I know you are h 'armless too;)

Let's hope nothing else gets broken on this trip:whistle:

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  15. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We're not going to Misterton David but I'm sure @Terry will be able to fix it for you.
    There is no need to remove the seat fabric, just the armrest cover so it doesn't get damaged when removing the sheared part of the old cap bolt.
    There should be no need to remove the other armrest Terry. If it's like our Burstner it will be a 20mm bolt. It appears to be mate but (as mentioned in my earlier post) the thread appears not to be either the coarse or fine standard pitch.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Oh dear, not a great week for the Hymerites.. :(

damp, rust, broken seats.. :cry:

I'm off to buy a Swift .. :cool:

oops..just woke up.. had a bad dream.. :D

• Funny Funny x 11
    • Like Like x 1
  17. Terry

Terry Funster

Morning Graham @GJH Billy says it's not a bolt just a pin and it shoves in,armrest turns and in again,turns that holds it in position --He has done many before -removal/refit that is not putting in new pins :)-The seat-back on some seats needs to be peeled up a little to get to securing bits but on 95% the armrests are fitted after the seat-back
    terry

18. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Morning Terry. There must be two different types of fitting because on our Burstner it is definitely a bolt which sheared :)
    Luckily I kept it so have been able to photograph it with the same sort of bolt I used in its place. The head was still captured by the female part in the seat body and the rest was still in the male part attached to the arm as in David's photo.
    bolts.jpg
    It looks like an M 8 bolt (and was made by Imavi so I guess should be a metric thread) but the coach bolts I had in my "don't chuck it out it'll be useful one day" box would only screw into the male part so far, leading me to think it was the wrong thread pitch. Luckily I had some bolts (centre of photo) I had kept in the past (can't remember what they came off). Removing the plastic left a flat head (right of photo) but I cut a slot with a hacksaw to allow use of a flat blade screwdriver to screw it in.

Thinking maybe I needed fine pitch bolts I bought some but the pitch actually looks too small so I'm guessing that the thread of the coach bolt I tried is wrong (maybe one I picked up cheap somewhere in the past).

Last edited: May 25, 2016
    • Useful Useful x 1
  19. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Graham I cannot say I have seen that one but will show pics to Billy -he has not got stuck on any yet ;)He does sometimes ask me to call over and give him a hand stripping and putting seats back together and it amazes me just how many different types/ways they come apart -More for a lift with what are sometimes heavy seats-cheers
    terry

• Like Like x 1
  20. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Hi Terry.
    I was just wondering if you managed to fix the armrest and, if it was a bolt, for future reference what sort of thread was it please.