Online Estate Agents?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Yorick, May 9, 2016.

1. Yorick

Yorick Funster

Just been looking at these and have been recommended tepilo.com. Never heard of them but the blurb seems OK.

They charge about £800 which needs paying up front. Once they have your money, they can just sit on their arse. But they're a few grand less than conventional estate agents.

On the other hand, conventional estate agents have local knowledge and can offer an office near the property and a more personal touch. But they are all shysters.

Anybody have any experience of tepilo.com or any other online ones? Any horror stories?

Thanks in advance :)

2. davanne

davanne Funster

Tried an online estate agent last year they were a complete and utter waste of space from start to finish......wouldn't go down that route again.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Spidey

Spidey Funster

I noticed in our village someone had a purple bricks sign up. We are selling in a few yers and i will approach online ones first. Most people look at the big search sites like rightmove etc. Of which purple bricks advertise. I have no experience if them but its another name to look at.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Borderland

Borderland Funster

So when they get their money up front, what is their incentive to sell the property. I would prefer to pay more for someone who has to get a buyer before they get paid, at least you know they will be trying.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Tepilo is the company owned by Sarah Beeny, one of the
    TV "property experts " .
    Only been going for around two years so be careful.
    Last year we used another online agency, House Revolution with an office in Norwich .
    An excellent service with different payment options. In the end we withdrew from the market as we are now staying put and it cost us nothing.

• Like Like x 1
  6. gus-lopez

gus-lopez Funster

7. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Passed all the local estate agents office today... They must be feeling some effect from it..
    one had a sign, first 30 customers who sign up fixed cost of £895....

Most people now I think look at the web first and from online pics you maybe a decision at home rather than having anything off an agent.. We bought our current house off the owners, they just put up a for sale sign and made a simple website with pictures, that was back in 2003 so thing have moved on a lot since then.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cavs

Cavs Funster

Two years ago we had to sell two houses previously owned by parents. We used a very professional agent that proved his value when it came to vetting potential buyers for viability (have they got funds arranged, etc.) then chasing buyers, lawyers, other agents, etc. This was a small chain, high street agent that at our local branch employed at least one person whose sole role was progress chasing. This agent was worth its fee just for this service. Not sure you'd get that from an on-line marketer.

• Like Like x 1
  9. treetops1

treetops1 Funster

I would not pay up front .My brother is selling his and does not pay until sold with an online company .I think he said it was about £800 .Sadly i have no more detail.

10. Madeinengland

Madeinengland Funster

I'll watch this thread with interest as we'll probably be selling in the near future and my plans were also to try the on line route. I already have lots of pictures and wonder if my own write up might be better as you 'know' the house better than an estate agent.

11. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

House Revolution let you provide pictures floor plans and influence description on websites.
    Well worth a look as you are in Norfolk, their office is in Unthank Road, Norwich.

12. Madeinengland

Madeinengland Funster

Thanks that's great, I'll take a look. sounds ideal (y)

13. Larby

Larby Funster

Agent terminology
    Cosy-small
    Manageable garden=small
    Wooded outlook-overlooks timber yard
    Character-dry rot
    Well maintained-quick paint job to sell
    Adequate parking - for a bike
    All round view- located on a roundabout
    Recently modernised- in 1955
    Three bedrooms- one of which can take a bed if it's upright!
    Conservatory- plastic roof lean-to.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Allan & Loren

Allan & Loren Funster

We've a few houses near us selling via online agents and a couple have sold. We've probably got more using the traditional estate agents method though. There is a vast difference in the fees you pay but at least with a local agent you can kick their arse if nothing's happening and make them work for their money, you will also be able to get feedback from viewers as they are more likely to tell the agent as an impartial person than they would the seller and this feedback can help if you find your house isn't selling. My nephew is selling and for the first 6 weeks was inundated with viewers and they had a few people that told them the house was exactly what they were looking for,and would be putting an offer to,the agent the next day. When Gregor rang the agent the following day the feedback was anything but an offer "it was too small". "Not in the right location". Etc

15. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

After having a local Estate around and discussing value and fees (1% - approx £2500) I thought I would look at self advertising.
    I found you cannot advertise on Zoopla or Rightmoves unless you are an estate agent.
    I contacted House Simple and I must say I have been impressed.

https://www.housesimple.com/

They sent a couple (man & wife) around to take stacks of photos while his wife measured up for the floor plan.
    The fees are about a £950 if you might change your mind - and don't sell FOC. About £450 if you are determined to sell but there is no return if you change your mind.

The self administered site is now up and running although its not yet live, it looks good already. For various reasons we have postponed it for a month or two and I still have to do the write up.
    I might have to take some tips from Larby!

16. NickNic

NickNic Funster Life Member

Pretty much every estate agent uses Right Move. It's becoming an industry standard.

17. Spanishsteve

Spanishsteve Funster

I recently looked at online estate agents to sell my house in surrey and was seriously looking at Purple Bricks. On this website I saw a previous thread discussing online agents and the pros and cons. One person suggested looking at reviews which I did.
    If I recall, Purple Bricks charge up front, however you can pay after sale but have to use their conveyancing services, which did not appear to be very good.
    A lot of the reviews of PB said the initial contact and valuation were good but aftercare was dire, also apparently buyers have to register with PB online to get viewings which might put people off.
    Because of this I decided to stick with a local agent, the difference being £8k not £800, however the agent has been very good with 6 viewings and 3 offers. I have been kept up to date, the agent is checking out the buyer thoroughly and their mortgage application and I am happy.
    Even between agents the charges varied wildly, one wanted £15k which I thought was eye wincingly expensive.
    I think I have done the right thing by getting a local agent, so far it has been relatively stress free and I have not had to chase them, they know the local property scene.
    Again there will be regional variances around the UK, in the South east it is very buoyant at the moment.
    My advice would be to look at Trust Pilot and other reviews for both online and local agents.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Friend just sold his bungalow in 3 days with an online agent. Cost £700 inc VAT. Same property if sold through a high street agent would be 3600 quid...

Property in our area is selling very very fast which of course helps !

The service with an online cannot be as good and you have to do the viewings yourself most of the time but it's quite a price difference !

19. scousebird

scousebird Funster

No we're not!

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. SteveandSue

SteveandSue Funster

We used House Network - online estate agents - several years ago - paid up front- good to deal with -
    It was just as online estate agents were starting up and we didn't sell through them - but we would use online estate agents again- depends on property - location - if you want to do the viewings etc etc I think
    Rightmove is the main search for property so as long as they get your property on there you should be OK
    Perhaps one of the advantages of traditional estate agents is if there are problems during the sale and negotiations -
    they can sometimes help to sort things out - But - they are expensive for what they do