Ongoing Issues with a New Elddis 175 purchased from Vehicles4Leisure (1 Viewer)

May 5, 2014
Funster No
MH
Carthago 138
Exp
Since 2006
Swift have tried a few times to sell abroad always fall flat on their face because of their quality or lack of it.
I wouldn't even consider wasting my hard earned cash on UK built vans, too much of a risk.

Well the Kiwis like them. We hired a Swift Bolero on South Island a couple of years ago and they had a whole fleet of them imported and marketed as a high quality option compared to the local alternatives.
Didn't see the others inside so no idea what they were comparing to! They had another shipment of new vehicles in the pipeline too so they must have been happy with them.

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
lennyhb how do you know i've never bought a new van , i explained i was looking at a new elddis but i could see i wasn't happy with the build quality, i have been motorhoming since 1992 before that used caravans, i have decided to retire early and have sold my van, as it wouldnt be used, but this does not help the original op. i used to have a elddis in the early 90s when quality meant something.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Funny isn't it? I can buy a TV and get a five year warranty and Sony don't want me to lug it back to the shop every year to inspect it with the threat that "It will invalidate your warranty if we don't inspect it!"

I think habitation checks are a waste of time and money.
Though new to the game I have to agree....

The fact some insist on these habitation checks or they possibly withdraw warranty is very ambiguous to say the very least.
if a component unrelated to a HC fails then the manufacturer would be on very very thin ice.

There are consumer laws in place to protect us from those who see fit to fail their obligations. Perhaps easy for me as my daughter is a solicitor but don't be fobbed off by the insistence of inspections....

Jabberwocky

Free Member
Aug 14, 2015
Yeovil
Funster No
MH
MWB coach build
Exp
I'm a newbie
With that many faults I'd be exercising my consumer rights and reject the vehicle and demand a refund.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
lennyhb how do you know i've never bought a new van , i explained i was looking at a new elddis but i could see i wasn't happy with the build quality, i have been motorhoming since 1992 before that used caravans, i have decided to retire early and have sold my van, as it wouldnt be used, but this does not help the original op. i used to have a elddis in the early 90s when quality meant something.
I quote your words from an earlier post. "i wouldn't buy a new motorhome"

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
threaten them with sale of goods act.
you can get a refund or replacement ,minus 10% per year of ownership.
i have used the act many times in the past and it works every time for me.
look up sale of goods act on google

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Now that I entirely agree with. The best value entertainment in the world at what we pay for the TV licence. Best news, best comedy, best documentaries and best sport.

How can you say such a thing when we have to pay for a licence whether we want to view the BBC or not. I disagree 100%. To me the BBC is a smug, leftie organisation with ever decreasing standards who are more interested in political correctness and social engineering than making quality programmes.
However if your assertion is in fact correct then the BBC should be able to switch to a subscription only basis and then customers can make a decision if it is in fact the best value in the world. If they think it is they will gladly subscribe, if they don't then they will vote with their feet and not subscribe.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
How can you say such a thing when we have to pay for a licence whether we want to view the BBC or not. I disagree 100%. To me the BBC is a smug, leftie organisation with ever decreasing standards who are more interested in political correctness and social engineering than making quality programmes.
However if your assertion is in fact correct then the BBC should be able to switch to a subscription only basis and then customers can make a decision if it is in fact the best value in the world. If they think it is they will gladly subscribe, if they don't then they will vote with their feet and not subscribe.
Then we will have to disagree. And I am not a "leftie" either (whatever that may mean). However the Tories seem to see reds under the bed whenever the BBC fails to tow the their line -t is almost like bullying. Of course no complaints when they expose the other parties' foibles or errors. Beginning to sound very McArthy like if you ask me (but you won't).

And the sheer heaven of being able to watch whole programmes without ad breaks is value enough.

And I am afraid the quality IS simply better with the BBC most of the time (but not always of course). As a quick example just compare the new C5 coverage of the football league (amateur hour) with what the BBC did last season.

sdc77

Free Member
Jan 28, 2013
Weardale, Co Durham
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since 2011
So with no BBC .. Who would you switch to for quality programming (with a similar subscription)

Greytop

Free Member
Jul 9, 2011
Funster No
MH
Hyner Swing 544
Exp
On and off since 1985
Then we will have to disagree. And I am not a "leftie" either (whatever that may mean). However the Tories seem to see reds under the bed whenever the BBC fails to tow the their line -t is almost like bullying. Of course no complaints when they expose the other parties' foibles or errors. Beginning to sound very McArthy like if you ask me (but you won't).

And the sheer heaven of being able to watch whole programmes without ad breaks is value enough.

And I am afraid the quality IS simply better with the BBC most of the time (but not always of course). As a quick example just compare the new C5 coverage of the football league (amateur hour) with what the BBC did last season.

Yes we should agree to differ, no doubt. Whether you love the BBC, hate it or are apathetic to it, surely common justice says that you should not force someone to pay for something whether they watch it or not !!!! I happen to like the Times newspaper, would it be fair if everyone had to pay a subscription to that newspaper, whether they read it or not.
Surely the principle is the same.

DandP

Free Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ely
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Caravanning for 10 years
Is the answer , don't by new. Buy a second hand when most of the problems have been sorted. Just a thought!!!!

kalamitty

Free Member
Nov 16, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 89
lennyb yes i wouldn't buy a new motorhome now as they are overprised, and this topic has gone off track.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
Most vans, no matter who builds them, are put together using common products such as Dometic, Truma, Thetford, Thule, Fiamma, etc. As long as the basic structure is sound, then everything else would have the same failure rate, it's a pity British vans particularly seem to suffer from poor quality control.
But, regarding British vans sold abroad, as has been mentioned before, Swift sell to New Zealand, so do Autosleeper. Autosleeper also have dealers in Germany, Sweden and Thailand. The vans are built here and exported.
We have had our fair share of problems, mostly poor workmanship on silly things, but as lennyhb says, theses get sorted under warranty.
The only component to break on our British built van was the Truma Combi unit.
Built in Germany!

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
The problem that I have seen with newish, less than 2 years old MH's are the holes and damage that people with little or no DIY caperbility, have placed fitting attachments etc. And the filth that I have seen. These are MH's that have just arrived at the dealers and not been subjected to the damage caused by potential buyers !!!!!. I would love to see what their main residence look like. I feel that people who sell their MH's within this time period tend not to look after them with the same care as much older MH's.

All of which does not excuses the poor quality control at the large manufacturing sheds, it's not rocket science

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
The problem that I have seen with newish, less than 2 years old MH's are the holes and damage that people with little or no DIY caperbility, have placed fitting attachments etc. And the filth that I have seen. These are MH's that have just arrived at the dealers and not been subjected to the damage caused by potential buyers !!!!!. I would love to see what their main residence look like. I feel that people who sell their MH's within this time period tend not to look after them with the same care as much older MH's.

All of which does not excuses the poor quality control at the large manufacturing sheds, it's not rocket science
We looked at a Swift Kon Tiki ( twin axle, don't know the model) while our van was in for its hab check. The Swift was 2 years old. 4 of the upper cupboards had broken or loose hinges, the table and kitchen worktop had holes in them as if something heavy had dropped onto them, the sofa seats and drivers seat were dirty and there were holes everywhere where things had been removed. This was just in awaiting preparation, but I don't know how they were going to fix all the damage. We also looked at a Hymer about 5 years old ( again, I don't know the model but it had twin beds over a garage at the back. The main centre roof vent was stuffed with flannels and towels, I don't know if this was to soak up water or stop rattles, apart from all the seats being dirty and somewhat mis- shapen, the rest looked OK.
One of the reasons we bought a new van was because most of the used ones we looked at that we liked had some sort of owner induced damage or modifications!

Apr 2, 2011
south essex Benfleet
Funster No
MH
CarthagoM liner.
Exp
since 1986 & tugger before
I may be missing something but surely the problem is the rubbish standard of construction of the motorhome. V4L are just a dealer from what I can see from their website. The Prestige 175 is a special built by Eldiss for V4L and I am not sure what more you can expect from the dealer who seems to be doing what they can with shoddy goods from the manufacturer.

It will be no comfort to you but my MH just had its first fault after two and a half years - a stained panel, cause not known but possibly something to do with an adhesive reacting with something. It was replaced free of charge.

I agree, when it was said about the gas struts and the fitting of, it sounds like poor quality lightweight hinges wit not enough fixing points onto cheap softwood support beams.
Sounds like nothing has changed since 1987 when I was buying Swift Con-Tiki's from new. Dealers did their best working with bad design and bad installation from factory. Swift after sales were useless. Stopped buying Brit built vans in 1996. Bruce

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
Elddis vans are ok if you are prepared to go through them and fix all the little niggles yourself. We saved £15k on the price of ours compared to the Autotrail we liked... And when I fix something it's done properly, not by a spotty teenager at a dealership after spending £40 on diesel and having to wait 12 weeks 😜😁

Jan 19, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Accordo 105
Exp
since 2014
I notice when all the posters are greyed out /free members etc it's an old thread. Not that it really matters, It's good you're allowed to use old threads. 👍

dipsie

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
Somerset
Funster No
MH
A/Trail V Line 635
Exp
26 years
I read an article in the MMM a few months ago, it was someone describing their take on their Motorhome.
I was interested as it was the same model as ours, an Auto Trail V Line 635.
One complaint was the positioning of their sat dome spoiling the looks and blaming AT from not allowing alternative space ! Other complaints, bath room door fallen off, kitchen extension flap fallen off.
We have the very same model and have not experienced these or similar problems. Surely one would have noticed these items becoming loose, they do not just fall off !
It maybe that I have a little more feel for things than some but surely if you felt things were coming loose would it not be beyond most people’s ability to have a look and tighten a screw or two.
I have met the writer of this particular article and he had also had another one inMMM on one of his previous three new Auto Trails and their van is not in the state that some have described on here earlier.
I wondered if the article should have described the “ fallen off” as falling off, could be the script !

Aug 7, 2007
Dundee
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 195
Exp
since 1975
Over the years we have bought large UK built motorhomes from the likes of Autotrail and swift to smaller more budget from Elddis . had some serious problems with everyone of them, some minor faults too.
Standard of British built motorhomes is a disgrace, warranties are a joke ! after service from some (not all) is also ridiculously poor.
After a few brand new ones with faults and including taking on of the large manufacturers to court for a replacement, which was then promptly sold, we bought a very good older motorhome, it is dry (previous owner had damp repaired) lots of nice extras fitted , low mileage and service and habitation history , all at a good fair price c/w new MOT and a warranty, best thing we ever did too.
Managed to have a few nights away in it before lockdown, very pleased that everything works, no niggles and drives great.
Just looking forward to being able to use it next year.
I sincerely hope and pray that the original poster Durham Spartan manages to get all his faults sorted asap so that he can go and enjoy using it as he should, all the best mate !!

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I sincerely hope and pray that the original poster Durham Spartan manages to get all his faults sorted asap so that he can go and enjoy using it as he should, all the best mate !!
I hope he sorted it 5 years ago

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back