OK never stayed on an aire or even seen one

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by Road Runner, Nov 15, 2011.

1. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Although travelled a lot as a tugger and in my RV in Europe cant say i have even noticed an aire.

So how does a newbie to them go about finding them?

OK books, websites our what?

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Websites and books. www.vicariousbooks.co.uk sell some eg "All The Aires" etc .
    A very useful and cheap service across Europe, Aires / Stellplatz :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jim

Jim Ringleader

OK John, here is a good a place as any to start http://www.frenchaires.com/

You can buy the Le Guide from any of the large supermarkets between Jan and March or you can buy it from www.Amazon.fr I bought mine from Amazon.Fr this year.

[ame]http://www.amazon.fr/Guide-officiel-aires-service-2012/dp/2358390186/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1321358477&sr=8-1[/ame]

The French site just lets you use your normal amazon login, follow your nose with the buy it button and you'll be one of the very first to get it late January:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  4. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I use the web site http://www.campingcar-infos.com/index1.htm , although in French it's very simple to follow.

On google chrome it will also translate some of it for you.

Signposts for Aires can be seen as you drive around, you will also see the sign for aires in many small towns and villages.

[​IMG]

Callum

• Like Like x 2
  5. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

specsavers john... you perhaps need some glasses

Almost every town and village has these signs in France... always coming across them.. I think John a visit to the opticians may be needed.

but as can be seen, plenty of books available. Just one word of advice is you want to use them, arrive early and do not expect to get a lot of room between you and the motorhome next to you.... have used them, but prefer to use sites which there are many.

Bob

6. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi john...i get mine from the satnav poi file. werever i am in france it gives me then nearest aire or municaple to the farthest away,as in the amy macdonald song goes " were ya guna go were ya guna sleep tonight":coolthumb:

• Like Like x 1
  7. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

If your ever in doubt, follow signs for tourist information and ask in there.
    We have been allowed to stay in the car park of one before.:thumb:

oh, and having a decent European van you will even be able to get to them all now John, and when you get there, you will even be able to get in and stay !!!

• Like Like x 1
  8. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

not trying to put a spanner in your travells but ,,,,,you will find the french camping car people dont like 5th wheelers ,,saw them point out quite loudly to a dutch and belgain pair near hornflour that its not a camping car and the airs are for them and go to a site ????:Eek!:

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

buy the books in le clerc super markets . as for aires and fifth wheelers i dont really think anyone cares . i have seen car n caravns on aires . lived on one near roscof for 3 months and shared it with a french family in a m,home and a couple with a caravan. i have neve been told not to be there . in 11 yrs . in the height of summer room runs out but who cares you just park outside or down the road. have never had difficulty in france spain or in fact anywhere.even uk is easy to find a parking /camping stop. truckers do it all the time . possible found holland the hardest place just didnt seem right in many places but managed.
    in france look for a village church they have big carpark and very often toilets sometimes hot water.

• Like Like x 3
  10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

didnt think John had a 5th wheeler? did I miss something?

your right though, more and more aires are being patrolled and caravan's are not tollerated on them for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  11. dellwood33

dellwood33 Read Only Funster

John - thought you bought a Tabbert thingy, didn't know it was a fith wheeler :Smile:

12. Road Runner

Bought an A Class Tabbert:BigGrin:

Boy Saturday feel like forever coming:cry:

[​IMG] S'not my one but identical

• Like Like x 2
  13. champers

champers Funster Life Member

Nice looking van John!

At Honfleur this sept a fifth wheeler did try to park at the aire but it was moved on , also patrols to check if the ticket was correct for that time of day

For france we also use all the aires book from vicarious books

14. Road Runner

Well thank you kind lady :hug:

15. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

John.. all what the funsters have said is correct loads of info buy a book before you come over just to give you a start a route at first.....then plan as you go along...the sign "callum" put on are everywhere...BUT...can "Sometimes" mean it is just a drop off point and for picking up water and emptying your cassette... not for over night stopping...but most are for overnight sleeping...
    If you are self contained ...meaning, if you have a solar and batteries, use your own shower and toilet..(have a small genny 1 kw.just in case you do like us tour in the winter), in case there is no sun for your solar charge...run for 1 or two hours in the day fine. power batteries back to normal....THEN Aires are great lots are free some minimal cost some with electric ....one I have just been on was free, plus free 5 amp electric water charged at a 2 euros jetton.around 100 ltrs or 10 mins timer. if you get the chance to buy a jetton (a special coin for the Bourne....) get a few spare, as most times you arrive it may be dark and places closed ???....we are in the Bordeaux....Perigueux region at the moment....not seen a Brit for 3 to four weeks called at the last place all motorhomes on the aire were BRITS.....6 of them ( FREE ELECTRIC:Wink::Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1:...you will always find Brits on freebies:Wink::Wink::Rofl1:....)...you have the perfect motorhome for over here not to big get everywhere:thumb:
    We are out at the moment for two months...done 5 weeks just on French Aires..(that is all we do..we are self sufficient so no need for a campsite)so three more weeks to go then we will be back home and out again 2 weeks after ....All on Aires.....
    Look at my picassa photo web link below...All Aires in France Hundreds of them:thumb: and I keep adding more when I can get on the internet

Mel:Cool:

• Like Like x 2
  16. highwayman

highwayman Funster Life Member

Hi John
    Buy all the aires from vicarious books, then if you've got a tom-tom
    You can download poi's from tom-tom-home.
    We've just had three weeks pottering about round France
    And only used aires, had a ball and can't wait for next year.
    Cheers. Nige

• Like Like x 1
  17. Road Runner

Brilliant Mel thanks

Yes I have a genny and will have 3 solar panels before long (I own em just gotta get em fitted) plus 3 new 110 amp batteries:Cool:

I know there's a reference to me being blind :moon2: but TBO never really looked as that after us being robbed my ex would no entertain non site camping so just did'nt look........

Intend to do a lot of as economical camping as I can now i finally have my own life:Cool:

Things are looking good:BigGrin:

Thanks for all the tips.......:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  18. Heyupluv

Heyupluv Read Only Funster

John with all that power you will have above you will most likely not even need to run the Genny :BigGrin::Wink:(but i would carry 1 kw just in case...of a emergency !!)...Great news you are coming over on Aires....We may even meet on our travels :thumb:....

I must say this last two years and more so this year the amount of french motorhomers that are now using Gennies mostly 1 kw..:Wink::thumb:

(In France the gennies have come down in price a lot ...before toooo expensive for them to buy)

Mel

19. Road Runner

I know how they can be expensive as someone pinch one of mine...........bar strew ards:Angry:

:Wink::Smile:

I intend to tour around a lot so really hope to meet up at some time:Smile:

20. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have the aires book but I think the tomtom POI would be handy. Have had a look on tomtom home but cant find it. Can anyone tell me were I can download this info. Preferably FREE.:Wink: