OK Dover parkers, how much do you spend?

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by GJH, Sep 17, 2014.

1. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

We currently have threads Here and Here about changes to parking for motorhomes in Dover. As usual there are claims about how much we boost the economy of places we stay. Dover council's report states that it is unlikely that we contribute much to the local economy.

So, those of you who stay in Dover before/after a ferry crossing what is the truth? On your last visit how much did you spend in the town itself?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Never parked at Dover.. But I know a couple of folk who park up on top of the hill at the RAF memorial

3. Sixbows

Sixbows Read Only Funster

Maybe the ferry companies should be involved in the upkeep costs as surely they benefit the most here?

4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Rarely parked at Dover. We always time our trip to arrive no more than a couple of hours before sailing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

What a bit like airport operators do, £10 per hour for parking your motorhome prior to your trip. :rolleyes:

6. chaser

chaser Funster

never spent more time in Dover than it took to get on the ferry

• Like Like x 2
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

.. like Jim, we time our trips to arrive for the sailing time.. so £Zero spent in Dover.

8. jimothy

jimothy Read Only Funster

We have overnighted a couple of times on the esplanade. Arrive late at night, get up for an early ferry. Only spend was to fill up at the petrol station.

9. tonka

tonka Funster Life Member

Zero... We also time the trip to make the crossing and prefer to park overnight in France..
    Only ever stayed in Dover once and that was bad weather in late March 2013 and we got snowed in for the night..

• Like Like x 1
  10. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

im a paracite.,. we pull up, we let the dog on the beach, she does her stuff, I use the dover dog bin, I then go to sleep, I wake up, I let the dog out, stick more dog poo in the bin and then drive off for my ferry.

However, in the last 15 years, I have bought a curry there one night and had fish and chips twice. shame if it closes but hey ho, will just plan the journey a bit better.

11. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

The only time I have spent anything in Dover is at Tesco at the top of the hill. I have overnighted there in the past when coming home on a late ferry but they have stopped that now as its 2 hours parking. I asked why, and was told that they caught someone emptying a cassette in the hedge on CCTV. Not me I may add, I have a blacktank.

12. busby

busby Funster

Same here..gives you a good start next day...BUSBY..

• Like Like x 1
  13. LARRY99

LARRY99 Funster Life Member

How much did I spend,,,, last time about £20 in weatherspoons ( 2 people)
    Time before that ,about £60 ,Chinese resturant ( 4 people) , time before that ? Time before that?....

We all seem to talk about getting over the the channel in droves , so when we have nowhere to park up for the night ,how do you expect Johnny Foreigner to feel , oh of course not that many come over ,,, I wonder why?

• Like Like x 3
  14. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

Hi, we are the same as most spend very little (nil) as only sleep there if early sailing or on the way back if late arrival, pleasant stay on parade perhaps they should in stall over night parking charges .
    Terry FIDGET

15. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Traffic, unfriendly councils not letting them park up, weather........i could go on and on.....:whistle::whistle:

16. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

Excluding Greater London (where any parking is difficult) there are 410 councils in the UK with parking responsibility. In general, district councils are responsible for off-street car parks, county councils are responsible for on-street parking plus parking in countryside parks and (sometimes) park & ride sites; unitary councils are responsible for all parking in their area.

Of those 410 councils, 205 councils have off-street parking provision for motorhomes and 114 ask that people check with them as to the best car parks to use. Only 90 say they have no off-street parking areas suitable for motorhomes.

On-street parking for motorhomes can be found in all council areas.

• Like Like x 1
  17. buttons

buttons Funster

Here are a few options, there are many more......
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/sites/townlisting.asp?town=Dover

18. Mavis

Mavis Funster

19. eddievanbitz

eddievanbitz Trader - Funster

220 litres of LPG at £0.70 £154.00 and 140 litres of unleaded at £1.27 £177.80 plus a bag of sweeties Great garage at the roundabout as you come in, but to be honest would have filled up there anyway even if we were going straight to the ferry.

The only way that Dover council would make money would be to provide a overnight space and charge for it, and enforce the charge.

• Like Like x 1
  20. SandJ

SandJ Read Only Funster

Out of the above suggestion a FEW is correct as only 2 are open all year and are available to anyone. The others are part year, caravan club only or campsites (not overnight parking for a motorhome)
    We use or used Dover seafront every trip for early ferry spent various amounts and ££££ in Tesco.