oil level

Discussion in 'Peugeot' started by poppys, Jan 13, 2011.

1. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

When I remove the dipstick ,after the its been standing for a few hours,it shows the level to be below the min level. If dipped again even after 30 mins it shows just under the full level. Should I take the first reading , or the second ? I dont want to have too little oil ,but I know too much isn`t good either.

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Firstly...is your vehicle perfectly level when you are taking the readings?
    If its only slightly off level you will not get a true reading.
    Was always taught to check oil first thing in a morning after vehicle has stood overnight on level ground.
    You are correct by saying to much is as bad as to little,if its overfull you take the risk of blowing seals.
    I have found that diesel engines find there own level which is not always on the full mark,somtimes being a little under full.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Do what the makers say.

What make/year is the chassis ?

4. madbluemad

madbluemad

That does sound a bit spooky but as said above, leave overnight on level ground and then check it.
    At the moment if your getting a nearly full reading on the dipstick, leave it alone.

Jim

5. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Poppys
    Reminds me of a situation years ago, I drove a security van for a living, once about every 6 weeks, I had to start work early when it was my turn to check oil and water in the van that serviced the lake district so the driver could start later and not go over his driving hours, the particular van in question had the wrong short dip stick unbeknown to me, the regular driver knew that if oil shown on the tip of the stick it was full, You can just imagine the mess it made going up the motorway, They were not amused :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    So dont overfill your MH before you solve your riddle of the levels.

Pete

6. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

Surely you should get the same reading if the van hasnt moved, no matter how many times you test it. Are you sure you arent getting some oil 'drag' from the first reading? Is this higher mark an obvious all-the-way-round dark line, or is it smeared up the stick.?

7. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

I dont have the oppartunity to leave it overnight anywhere level.The reason I think that the second reading is higher is because when the dipstick is put back after the first withdrawal the oil is forced up the dipstick tube.
    The handbook says to check in the normal way and that there is a visual display on the dashboard,but the book display is different to mine that makes it useless.The engine is a Peogeut 2 Ltr HDI.

8. JJ

JJ Funster

Not quite on topic but it was an age old trick when petrol stations were manned for the attendant to ask if you want your oil checked.

They would show you the dipstick which will show below max because with an engine that has been running will have an amount of oil still in various parts of the engine before it has had time to make its way back to the sump where the dipstick measures.

Thus they could sell you a can of (overpriced) oil that you didn´t need...

Never heard of it the other way around though.

JJ

PS... NO... that attendant was NOT me...!

9. Mixter

Mixter Read Only Funster

What does the dash reading say if you fire it up on the level in a car park or similar? This will be the true level, despite yours being different to the book.

Mine has the same engine as yours. If i dip it level, its where it needs to be. But, as its parked on a bit of a slope, the dash says HIGH when its started.

I once checked a works van as a matter of course. Its was bone dry! I put a quart in. Still dry. I put another quart in, STILL dry. I put ANOTHER quart in, it bubbled out of the filler hole. The dip tube had come out of the block at the bottom.:Rofl1:

10. simsy56

simsy56 Funster

When you pull the dipstick out, wipe it clean, then dip it. Take that reading, if unsure dip it again with a clean dipstick. It's best done first thing in the morning, after a rest.

Craig

11. Swisstony

Swisstony Read Only Funster

You didn't do this on a Ferry Crossing did you? :Wink:

12. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

now this is just a theory so dont take my word for it but....

when you first dip the oil you pull out the stick and have a gander then shove it back in....yes?

later, you do the same...pull out the stick and look at it. ?

just possible, if the crankcase breather is partly blocked, it could be the crank pressure is pushing the stick up slightly, beyond its O ring, to release the pressure....its only 1/2" or so.

when you push it back in the first time, you push it all the way.

later, you dip again but the stick was pushed right in last time, hence the higher reading second time round.

next time on the first check, try removing, wiping then inserting all the way in, then check.

apologies if this is what you're doing.

13. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Ours is the Fiat 2l JTD, I think the same and the dipstick is definitely a bit odd. I put it down to the tube to the sump maybe a bit small and collects sludge so not getting a free flow of oil.

Dip it a few times.

The on screen level always seem OK. It's something like

oooooooo-- or ----------oo

I forget but looks logical with zero oil on the left and full on the right.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

our work vans, citroen berlingo's, have the same indicator.....

could be anything from 00000000 to ------------0 at any time of starting but its always full.

never put full faith in anything electronic if theres a foolproof manual version available.

the coolant indicator also comes on but again its always full.

15. niggle

niggle Banned - Rule 1

:Rofl1::Rofl1: just like your daily pcv checks,, or dont you check hmmmmmm:Rofl1:

16. Eyeore

Eyeore Read Only Funster

Dipsticks

Pull dipstick, wipe, insert, withdraw and check level. The plug that keeps the stick in and the dirt out creates a seal; the air in that area contracts/expands and sucks oil in or keeps it out of the tube thus giving false readings.

17. poppys

poppys Read Only Funster

Firstly thanks to all for the replys,I do think Im dipping in the correct way,but Ive never come across such widely differing readings before and as to the dashboard reading the display is just a flat line (---)with out any graduations ,the handbook shows a number of squares, 6 being maximun ,1 minimum. Thus the confusion.

18. seymore

seymore Read Only Funster

conflicting dipstick readings

Hi I have exactly the same problem with my merc 2.8 diesel.I have found that first thing in the morning the dipstick indicates low oil,wipe it ,test again and its where you would expect it to be,3/4 full .I have found that If I leave it and try it later it will repeat the higher level .I think when the engine is running and the oil is pumped around the engine it drains from the under side of the of the "S" bend in the dip stick.This seems a very good fit in the tube, I dont think it allows the oil to return to the correct level because it is air locked. Weve done 103000 miles to date, had this problem since we got it.happy travelling, dave

19. betterthenatent

betterthenatent Read Only Funster

when we bought our van just over a year ago the dealer had over filled it with oil .They couldnt deny it as they stamped the service book. We made them drain some off. I mentioned this to the chap who dose our servicing and he said that Boxers are notorious slow fillers. the oil takes a long time to drain back to the sump. So when you are topping it up you look at the dip stick an think that it needs a bit more when really it is still finding its was down to the bottom of the engine. He said that you have to leave it a good half hour to check the oil after the engine has been running.

20. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

I agree.

Many of these modern dip stick pipes tend to bend and curve down to the sump. Also they have quite a tight seal when the dipstick is in situ.

I always withdraw the dipstick, clean it, then put it back in, and push it fully in and out several times, so as to clear the airway and remove any possible oil trapped in the bends or curve of the pipe.

I then make sure the dipstick is nice and clean then slowly push it back in till fully inserted, leave a couple of seconds, then withdraw and check the level....:thumb:

On the level of course, I am, honest!!!:Eeek: