Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
had MH serviced by local garage that I always use, now comes the interesting bit
in the 2 years I have had the MH I have never had to put in oil (been serviced twice) BUT was serviced about 2 months ago and just done 1000 mile round trip and just about to do another one so thought I had better check the oil
It was down at 50% so any ideas why it is suddenly now using oil, 7 year old but only done 27k Could they have used the wrong oil ? for a Fiat ducato. no sign of a leak

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Did they change the filter?

Sounds like that they filled the engine to the correct level with an empty oil filter and never checked again after starting. :Eeek::Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
camocam1

camocam1

Free Member
Aug 28, 2012
Elgin,Moray,Scotland
Funster No
MH
bailey approach 760 se
Exp
since 2012
no I never thought to check it after it come back from the garage and yes they changed the oil filter
thanks for the replies Ill maybe just give them a shout in past and see what they say

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
strange this should come up.....i blame the garage, or more specific, the fitter.

One of our work vans, a renault master, had been in for a service.

The driver did his weekly checks and found no oil on the dip stick.

Only having the original complimentary 1lt of oil he stuck that in.
The complimentary ltr was still there because it DIDNT BURN OIL.
it brought the level up to 'just on the stick'

He then returned to the garage and explained it had no oil in so they topped up the oil.

'Ok now....mechanic has topped up to the level'

On checking BEFORE even starting the engine....it was at 50%.

A
One of numerous fitter fails, including not tightening the crank pully bolt after a cambelt change on another van, resulting in the engine being destroyed, and we still use the garage. :Doh:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A strange thing this. I always topped up to the top mark on the dipstick. When I bought the Smart car, I checked the oil cold and it was half way between top and bottom marks, so I topped it up. I kept an eye on it and was continually putting a quarter of a litre in to bring it up to the top mark. I changed the oil for the correct fully synthetic and was still topping up. Recently I sent it into the local Smart agent for a service and told them about the problem. They did a service and when I collected it I checked the oil and it was between the marks, cold. I asked for the service manager and he explained that with fully synthetic oil the oil expends when hot and would then be on the top mark. I took his word for it and have checked it several times since and not had to top up. So it seems that as long as the level is between the marks when cold all is well.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back