Oil change ? (1 Viewer)

Jul 17, 2009
Funster No
To my surprise my garage tells me my near 1 year old Peugeot Boxer MH does not need a first service at 1 year, it's 2 years or 30,000miles, good for the wallet ! But my instinct tells me the engine oil should be changed, it's quite dark after 11,000 miles and I wondered if any others have faced this dilemma ?

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
A quick diy job for peace of mind took me 10 min to change oil and filter about ÂŁ40 all in.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
I did mine after 9000 miles , it was serviced at 16000 miles when it was about 18 months old, then I did it again at 22000 miles just before I sold it
I think the 2 year 30000 miles is mainly for average mileage vans. No harm in doing it more frequently but use the recommended long life oil just in case there are any warranty issues.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
To my surprise my garage tells me my near 1 year old Peugeot Boxer MH does not need a first service at 1 year, it's 2 years or 30,000miles, good for the wallet ! But my instinct tells me the engine oil should be changed, it's quite dark after 11,000 miles and I wondered if any others have faced this dilemma ?

Engine oil in a diesel engine discolours very quickly & in itself is not an issue, regular oil changes with a high quality oil & filter are vital for prolonged engine life i.m.o.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
You can never dammage an engine by changing it too often that being said we just changed our renault scenic at 94000 miles never a problem on 18k oil changes.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Got the same from ford when I made enquiries yesterday...
First service is just an inspection/check...
I've asked for the oil and filter and fuel filter to be done anyway... the van is doing about 1000 miles a month average atm and even though we have had conflicting views on here about manufacturer service recommendations I'd rather do the oil at least annually. .
I just did my mk 7 transit yesterday... not in warranty so do it myself
10l ford full synthetic
Oil filter
Fuel filter
All from ford and just under ÂŁ74.. (that's with my discount :D ) to me it's well worth it and your giving yourself the best chance of a good preforming engine for a long time..
Andy..

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
This is a much debated issue - a search on here will probably unearth hundreds of threads about it - and some strong opinions on the subject!
It is possible to get oil tested to see if it needs changing. I do change it every year but plenty don't, as after all the service schedule says you don't need to unless you use the vehicle a lot in cities. However, market forces say a van which needed servicing every year wouldn't sell very well, so guess what? They all say a service every two years. When the first goes to three year servicing you can bet all the rest will rapidly follow. :)

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
The recommended interval seems similar to our FIAT Ducato. Service, including oil and filter change, at 28000 miles or two years.

We had an oil and filter change carried out at 1000 miles, and again at 12 months old. But that's just us!

Motorhome is due to have its first full service, at 2 years, this Friday, with 19,400 miles recorded.

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
We ran a Citroen Relay at work and had it serviced as per schedule. Ran supermarket diesel with no problems.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The way the schedule is set out is sufficient for the book so do what I and many others have done and carry out an interim oil and filter change. This will serve to demonstrate to the next owners that good care has been taken.

Never in a million would I leave oil in for 30K miles !!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
The way the schedule is set out is sufficient for the book so do what I and many others have done and carry out an interim oil and filter change. This will serve to demonstrate to the next owners that good care has been taken.

Never in a million would I leave oil in for 30K miles !!

An interim oil change cost me ÂŁ140 for my last van. When i traded it in, they never even asked to see the service book.
So, in my opinion, don't waste your money unless you are going to keep it for any length of time.
A diy oil change won't get your book stamped.

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
SlipreeStuff is life blud orf'un enjun Borr,,, assur no brainur ter swarp'ut reglur... (y)(y)(y)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
An interim oil change cost me ÂŁ140 for my last van. When i traded it in, they never even asked to see the service book.
So, in my opinion, don't waste your money unless you are going to keep it for any length of time.
Undrud un forte quid,?!!! They musttur sin yew kummun Borr...
Un yew dun need no stamp,,, jus mark'ut yew'sen un keep'tur receep.
Fer yur next servuss, Kum yew orn dunear ter Narfuk Borr, weaseal sort'yur out a furkun site cheepur'un em ovvur robun furkurs,!!! (y):LOL::LOL::LOL:

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I change my oil and filter in my 1987, 5 cylinder, Mercedes Hymer 660S, nearly more often than I change my underpants...

Priorities, priorities...

JJ :cool:
Can't afford to do it daily.....:(
My old RV, 6.8ltr v10 Ford, had an oil change interval of just 3000 miles.....and it needed 19 ltrs of specific oil.

Fascinates me that the Yanks have far shorter oil change periods than we do in Europe.
I was on a US site a few days back & a thread about oil change periods & even same spec cars as in the EU have much shorter change times. It was even mentioned that the longer periods applied to Europe not the U.S. The question was asked why but no answer was forthcoming ?

Mikey RV

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 7, 2010
Devon
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance I821G
Exp
Since 1977
Mine gets serviced every year, wether I do 100 miles ( which I don't ) or 5000 miles ( which I do)
Years ago I had a VW van and used to change the oil and filter myself every 2000 miles, the price at the time about ÂŁ25.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Ours has an oil change every year as when we bought our first Fiat a mechanic advised me that if we do nothing else change the oil and the engine will continue to behave as it should,IMHO good sound advice and incidentally although hardly run in,28,000 miles on in two vans no problems(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:

Spanda

Free Member
Jun 13, 2016
Bolton
Funster No
MH
Swift Sundance 590 RS
Exp
We have only just bought our motorhome - second hand - so we are just theorists at the moment. Our plan is to change the oil and filter every year irrespective of the mileage.

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie

My garage charges 60 quid for a basic oil change ....

There is no real need to stamp the book if you did it would throw the schedule out of sync. I choose to sell my vehicles privately so I don't get robbed so having the receipts for the genuine part filter and the right oil has always paid dividends for me. Sticking to the minimum on the basis you won't get it back is completely missing the point anyway. Apart from which is silly and mean.

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
I've done a full service on ours every year on the anniversary of the purchase. Almost certainly not required, but it keeps me off the streets, as the wife would say! :D

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
My garage charges 60 quid for a basic oil change ....

There is no real need to stamp the book if you did it would throw the schedule out of sync. I choose to sell my vehicles privately so I don't get robbed so having the receipts for the genuine part filter and the right oil has always paid dividends for me. Sticking to the minimum on the basis you won't get it back is completely missing the point anyway. Apart from which is silly and mean.

Missing the point? The vans i have had have been new and under warranty. Serviced as per schedule.

Do you get your domestic heating boiler serviced every Month?......... No?.....Why not Waste of money.?

I can get a receipt for ANY GENUINE part for ANY vehicle........It doesn't prove i fitted them.

If someone is going to keep their motorhome for a long time ........then d.i.y. oil changes will do no harm.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
I'd change it, simple as that. You don't need a 3 page debate on the subject, it's your money, your engine and your choice.

New engines shed the most amount of swarf as they bed in. They shed a lot less as the engine covers higher mileage. The oil carries that away, the filter ensures it stays away, at least that's the theory, but the only reason they can extent these milages, is of course, the quality of oil available, but also the size of the magnetic in the sump plug holding in the swarf.

Change it yourself, it's an easy DIY job (also the filter too). Once you've done the job once, you'll have it cracked forever more and you'll feel good about it all:)
IMG_3299.JPG
IMG_3300.JPG
IMG_3301.JPG
IMG_3302.JPG

Aug 19, 2013
Wells, Somerset
Funster No
MH
Elddis 115
Exp
since 2004
Unless I'm mistaken, which often happens, I think there is no drain plug on the later X250/X290, so it has to be sucked out, if your pardon the expression. So it has to go to a garage. But since mine has done just 8k, I would like to change it now. I do think that those first few thou are important in terms of build up of swarf.

On another point, again unless I'm mistaken, the viscosity range is now 0-30!! Might as well use 3-in-one!! It so thin. You could use it for salads!

D

DL42846

Deleted User
I have ran a Mercedes Sprinter white van which has now covered over 750.000 kilometers with just the oil changed at the service intervals of around 30,000 kilometers from new. The engine runs very sweet. For my private vehicles I also change them at the recommended service intervals or at least once a year if they don't do the mileage. I don't like the idea that moisture might get into the oil. Might sound silly but that is just me.

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Unless I'm mistaken, which often happens, I think there is no drain plug on the later X250/X290, so it has to be sucked out, if your pardon the expression. So it has to go to a garage. But since mine has done just 8k, I would like to change it now. I do think that those first few thou are important in terms of build up of swarf.

On another point, again unless I'm mistaken, the viscosity range is now 0-30!! Might as well use 3-in-one!! It so thin. You could use it for salads!
https://mobiloil.com/en/article/car...r-oil-facts/synthetic-oil-vs-conventional-oil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back