Oh no! The beer is getting warm...

Discussion in 'Motorhome Accessories' started by Sidney, Jul 11, 2013.

1. Sidney

Sidney Funster

So a few weeks back I headed off to Le Mans for the race. It's not that far south and it wasn't that warm at around 24-26º but my fridge (a Dometic 8 series two door) really struggled to keep anything cold during the day.:Sad:

So when I got back I did a bit of digging on the interweb and found a double fridge fan on LA Leisure. They're made by an Italian company not Vento as per the web page and the control panel was different from the image but that didn't worry me much.

So you hook it up to a 12v supply, screw the fan to the carcase and fix the sensor. This makes it more complicated than your average DIYer can handle but it wasn't that difficult despite poorly translated instrukshuns :Rofl1:

I didn't want to have the control panel inside (it's not that pretty) :Wink: so I fitted this outside behind the top vent. I remove the vent and switch it on and it works a treat on the automatic setting switching the fans on when the temperature in the void behind the fridge gets too high and off again when it drops.

I'd thoroughly recommend this to the funster community :thumb::thumb::thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sidney

Sidney Funster

• Like Like x 2
  3. Sidney

Sidney Funster

image...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 2
  4. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

What is the temperature on that little thermostat ?

What you have there is a couple of computer fans and thermostat. Not sure what the electronics box does. All that is needed is an on/off switch to save the leisure battery when the fans could be running continuously and you might not have the spare capacity. Our Electrobloc controller cuts the leisure battery when it's voltage gets too low.

But what you paid seemed decent value if you didn't have the fans lying around.

5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

looks like a couple of computer cooling fans but well designed and made.
    Any idea of air displacement ?

I use a 100mm computer fan to cool a small 12v air compressor and that really moves some air.....can feel the draft 18" from the fan.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Nigel&Debbie

Nigel&Debbie Read Only Funster

from your picture, are the fans positioned in the most efficient place? Are they pushing air in to the cavity or are they sucking it out.

The theory is that cool air enters the void via the lower vent, and it then replaces the air that has been warmed by the heat exchanger, which leaves the void via the upper vent. That's the theory.

If your fans are pushing air into the heat exchanger, they are in fact working against the above principle, and therefore less efficient. It would be more efficient to place them below the actual heat exchanger and have them assist the natural cooling process as opposed to working against.

If they are sucking air out, this is better than above, but not as good as pushing cool air up through the exchanger and out via the top vent.

7. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Slightly off topic but we are away this weekend and your posts were a reminder to make sure our fridge was working. I'd be blackballed from the entire sailing fleet if we served warm beer.

So many thanks for the timely reminder:thumb:

8. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Nice gadget.

It appears from their graphic that one fan blows in and one blows out. I'd be inclined to turn one fan so they both blow out (of the fridge vent). The width of the fridge heat exchanger means you'd get more benefit.

In Australia I used a computer fan and a cheap solar panel on the roof. When the sun came out the fan worked. Didn't use any of the leisure battery :) The fridge operated correctly during the night so the fan was not necessary. The same set up would be suitable here I expect (if your fridge was giving you trouble).

9. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Phew that was a little busy

So sorry not have replied to any questions on this I have either been at work or out in the van making the most of the weather.

So...

Both fans are blowing "out"

This means cooler air is being drawn in via the bottom vent (and to a certain extent via the top vent too).

The temperature sensor came already riveted on the bracket so I couldn't read the stamped temperature settings. I did test everything before installing and I suspect it comes on between 40 & 50C (which you would think is quite high until you take the top vent off and you'll understand quite how hot it is in the void).

I have no idea of the volume of air these fans move. You can quite easily feel the air movement when you put your hand in front of the vent. The most important thing about the fans is the noise... You can't hear these. But I very much hear the fan on my computer at work :Sad:

As for positioning. The fans are mounted on a flat, secure surface. They are equidistant between the heat exchanger and the louvre. Yes it would be more efficient to blow air onto the heat exchanger rather than drawing hot air off but that would mean a more complicated installation. Remember the fridge manufacturer doesn't provide any fans so it's a great improvement on nothing!

Even with the recent weather has meant that if I choose, gas or mains everything in the fridge stays cold or frozen. :thumb:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
    • Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

11. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

2x 90mm fans off EBay, some wire, cable ties and a switch. about £6

£38 is a rip off:Wink:

12. BwB

BwB Funster Life Member

Sounds like you've cracked it! :thumb:

Small point (in case I wasn't very clear in my previous post) - much safer for the fans to be blowing out of the top vent.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Techno

I too did my own PC case fans and to be honest they are crap without a speed controller. Far too noisy! I've just bought the purpose made ones and thanked the OP :thumb:

14. Techno

Yes indeed. If your fridge like many is badly sealed from the hab area you can force CO through the holes/cracks if forcing air through the bottom vent

15. Techno

16. Techno

I only last week upgraded my AES fridge to the 8505 £950 was a bargain! check out the next best and RRP prices :Rofl1:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. jezport

jezport Funster

I have 2 80mm computer fans running on a switch and they are pretty quiet. If you buy the better quality computer fans they are quieter than the cheaper ones.

18. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Honestly how much do these people pay for a motorhome? Halfpenny of tar and all that eh? :Rofl1:

19. Sidney

Sidney Funster

There I've fixed it...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  20. Sidney

Sidney Funster

Is there nothing you won't tackle? I thought I was keen but you put me to shame