Oh er, we've booked the Chunnel,,, whose idea was this?!!! (1 Viewer)

Oct 6, 2016
norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Well funster friends, we've bought the MoHo, driven it up and down t'road a couple of times,,, on the wrong side, obviously... So, now we've got that under our belt,,, along with the three points and £160 fine,,, we're writing the check lists and ticking off as we get the items done... Well, that is to say that we WILL tick them off, but as yet, err, well, we're still in the writing stage,,, must've bin three weeks now, should it take that long?!

Not to worry, once we get started on t'list,,, lists,,,( nineteen A4 pages, back & front),,, seems like a lot to me,?,,, maybe we should spend a few days culling that back a bit?
Anyway, once we get started I'm sure Mrs P will ged'em jobs done quicker'un you can say Zippeedeedoodarr.

Never having done the MoHo thing before I was expecting to feel maybe just a tad nervy once we'd booked t'crossing,,, didn't expect to feel quite this bad though,,, I'm discharging from both ends and my hands have a tremor, the Brandy bottle is playing tunes on the glass?!!!
Maybe I've picked up a bug??? :unsure::unsure::unsure:

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
I felt extremely nervous the first time we went over to Europe ( only been twice so far) but its great far easier than this country. Felt a bit nervous the second time. Each time it has been wonderful :)

Kirsten

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2015
Stratford on Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
Since 2010
Fab.good man re the lists. Have a list of the lists you need- will help with the cross referencing. And don't worry about Forren climes, we went over after we had had m home for a week and it was utterly stress free, had been to France in car a few times before that so were used to wrong side thing. Just follow the flow but watch out in supermarket car parks as we tended to revert to whatever side it is over here ( see- I don't know right from left (? Or wrong but that's a different story ) and if I can do it anyone can!) Be happy xx

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
Love the tunnel my blue badge gets us on early so we're off early you go through all the security and checks this side of the channel and it's straight on to the Autoroute when you get off the train

Just let the idiots in the cars race off the speed limit doesn't go to 130 klicks for a while and the Gendarme are waiting sometimes for them

We have been going through France and Spain since 2003 and find it's easier driving there than here Enjoy yourselves and have a good time we will be following in July

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
Stop worrying, once you get over the channel you will wonder what all the fuss was about. It's so much easier than driving in uk.(y)(y)
That's a steep fine and 3 points, what on earth were you doing...(n)

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
Confirming that France is the proverbial piece of wee wee.
3 point turns and 1st junction in the morning are when I normally start driving on the left over there

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
So, now we've got that under our belt,,, along with the three points and £160 fine,,, we're writing the check lists and ticking off as we get the items done... Well, that is to say that we WILL tick them off,
Was that on your original list?
Depending how big you write, I would consider 19 x A4 sheets are a tad OTT and we assume that the 3 points and fine weren't on.
I think you'll definitely need to cull. Put things on here for consideration.
You did say in the thread that you'd booked the Tunnel but didn't say when.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We were very nervous when we first went to France but the driving is certainly easier than the UK especially if you stay out of the cities.
We spend every winter here now in Spain and going back through France and Holland for the summer.You won't regret it,once you have done it once you'll wonder why you hadn't done it years ago. Enjoy.

Howard H

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 10, 2015
West Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Benimar mileo 294
We where euro trip virgins until last year and we where equally as nervous at the thought of doing it but honestly once you drive off off the train everything clicks into place and seems so natural, our biggest fear was the toll booths but the purchase of a toll tag made it so easy So just go and enjoy your trip it really is easy. (y)

Last edited:
Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
All this positive encouragement is great to read as quite a few of us solo ladies have booked the Twin Lakes meet in September and are panicking already about this new venture!:eek:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
You'll be fine ... just be careful when you pull out from being parked up anywhere, especially in the morning etc as it's easy to forget you're abroad! Also pulling out from side roads if there's no traffic again it's easy to go onto the wrong side, but you'll soon get the hang of it. Leave your France etc paraphernalia on your driver's sear or dash so you are reminded each morning where you are!

Regarding lists ... this is a packing list which I did a few years ago which you could adapt for your needs:

http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/camper-packing-list-abroad.8/

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
At least the French will be in the same boat as us! Coz we can't understand a word you're saying either:LOL::LOL:
In resources, there is a Drive on the right reminder for the windscreen, which might help for a few days.(y)
You will love it(y) Don't forget to tell us about your experiences. Preferably in English:D2

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Taking the chunnel? :eek: Aagh, be careful getting on the train, anything over 5 metres and they have to shuffle the back end on with a forklift, same at the other end except the French leave you 'til last, if they get you off at all. Then the mad panic looking for the exit from the docks, which lane, that one, no follow him in front, then him in front pulls in to look at his map and leaves you in front. Look at the overhead gantries, which road do we want, it's not the same as the map, take that one. Too late, it leads to the Hypermarket and a 2.2m barrier, you have nowhere to go, cars hooting behind you, no room to turn. Half hour later after much embarrassment you're on the motorway heading south, you didn't plan to be on the motorway and you spot toll booths in the distance, oh blimey. Which lane, not the one marked X, try that one, cor it's tight, open your window, can you reach the display? No, what does it say? Too close to open the door, hang out the window, 9.25, what does that mean, euros? No change, insert card, won't take PIN, press button and speak to voice. "Pardonnez-moi m'sieur, je vais no money, card est kaput". Off and away after much embarrassment, approach first major place, large town in distance, OMG, it's Rouen. Nagsat takes you through town with much traffic, large clanging noise on roof shortly before you spot low, very low, bridge in front. Somebody has been here before and got the tee shirt, there's an escape route. Kind motorist takes pity and let's you back out after signalling for ten minutes. After much embarrassment you escape Rouen . . . .

That was pretty much our first trip but don't let it worry you we reached Switzerland unscathed and had a great time, just don't venture near Oppenheim but that's another story! :whistle:

It's a piece of cake over there really, enjoy! (y)

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
@Bailey58 ... you've have scared them silly now! :D

There are some elements of truth to your story such as the low underpasses in Rouen but they can be avoided if you don't speed through like a nutter.:D2 As for the exiting from the docks ... we call it Wacky Races ... especially applicable when back at Dover and several ferries are unloading at the same time ... we usually pull over and let the idiots get out first ... not experienced it on the chunnel exits though.

Jun 17, 2012
North Essex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Delaware
Exp
>12 but <13
I have a loud audible warning system should I drive on the left or pull out when following tractor and there is an oncoming lorry.

screaming-horror-movie-face.jpg

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Was it @Jim that had the drive on the right sign to go on the dashboard to reflect up the windscreen. :confused: I know I printed one off a while ago but cannot find it now. This maybe a good idea for the first timers.

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Was it @Jim that had the drive on the right sign to go on the dashboard to reflect up the windscreen. :confused: I know I printed one off a while ago but cannot find it now. This maybe a good idea for the first timers.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014

for about £1 Halfords have a transparent sticker for the windscreen that shows which way to turn and approach roundabouts in Europe...great little reminder (stivk the other way round and it reminds you when you get back to dear old Blighty...

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Driving off the train and out of the euro tunnel terminal is so much more civilised than the Dover/Calais Wacky Races.
Just follow the vehicle in front and within a couple of minutes you are heading towards the free motorway. All clearly signed and easy to follow.
No stress , no hassle.

Richard.

PORKSTER

Free Member
Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
As most have said it really is easy best advice I got was just go so I did. Don't worry about forgetting stuff Europe isn't in the 3rd world you can but anything.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I find it's harder in a left hand drive vehicle anytime we have hired a car in Europe, as @Neckender says just drive in the gutter and let everyone else just do their thing, if you are in your gutter you know where you are.(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back