offline mapping

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by bonniechris, Oct 12, 2015.

1. bonniechris

bonniechris Funster

I am having great difficulties with mapsme which when it is working is great but..... Has anyone got any other reccomendations for offline maps and routing. we will shortly be starting our previously cancelled trip across France to Spain and the off line maps etc are very, very useful. Any helpful suggestions much appreciated.

2. bartiny

bartiny

Not too sure what you mean as I have never heard of 'mapsme', but I have a Garmin Nuvi 2699 for navigation.
    I also have Garmin Home camp (free download) that allows me to plan a route on my computer and then download it to my Garmin, also I can upload routs/tracks from the Garmin and save them to Home camp.

(y)

3. keith

keith Funster

Always found Maps.me very good but I don't use for sat nav. Finding places and loads of poi's if looking for camp sites super markets etc. It will also load any klm file off Google earth so transfer your maps and use offline.
    Co-Pilot is the best for directions, a lot of folks on here use it. It's not free but it works well.

Edit: One better thing about Co-Pilot you can set it to Motorhome.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

CoPilot been using it for a year now and its made our Garmin redundant.
    Brilliant mapping and route altering options plus alternative routes plus toll non toll or limited toll. Came back from Croatia 3 days ago cost less than 50 euros just automatically avoided as many pay sections as possible without adding hours.
    Mapping and satnav all in one makes satnavs oldhat brilliant and has a motorhome rv setting.

• Like Like x 3
  5. bonniechris

bonniechris Funster

many thanks for replies I will look at co-pilot. maps.me always been good for walking to poi around the aires when stopped but as I said it keeps crashing.

6. Masman

Masman Funster

I have app Navmii.seems to work ok.as long as you have plenty of space on your phone for it

7. PaulB

PaulB Funster

• Like Like x 1
  8. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

OSMAnd is an smartphone App very comprehensive, fully offline, interface a bit complex though. We try to use it instead of paper maps have tried Maps.ME and some others, not found the ideal app yet, still like paper maps.

9. injebreck99

injebreck99 Funster

What's wrong with a good old fashioned map!!

• Like Like x 1
  10. Neilfg

Neilfg Funster

Can be expensive to get the same coverage and level of detail as the software also storage, in my phone I have maps for the UK and if I want Europe, at the same or higher levels of details thatn paper and up to date.

But as I say I still like paper, just not found the right software yet!

11. OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers Funster Life Member

@bonniechris
    We use Microsoft AutoRoute Europe 2013 is fantastic for offline route planning it is no longer produced but you may be able to find the retail version somewhere. You can drill down almost to the foot. And it will calculate the best route according to your requirements and with the addition of a GPS dongle will actually record your every move.
    We have a small EeePC which has a solid state drive and runs win10 fine running on the dash so we can see exactly where we have been. We use a TomTom for actual turn by turn navigation.
    Below you can see a complete trace of every inch we travelled in our recent Croatia Trip.
    Steve
    Croatia.JPG

12. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

@keith @Forestboy

With the Co-pilot (for ipad in my case) there are a lot of different apps.
    As my future MH is 5.3t, 8 metre and 3.2 metre high do I go for "Truck HD Europe" or one of the car ones (presumably with an option to select "motorhome" or input dimensions?)?
    Which do you guys use?

Also the car one for "Europe", if it is the "car" version that you use with a "motorhome" setting, versus a set of different apps by country or region (eg Italy, Iberia etc) - is there a difference in scale or are they the same maps (if you happen to know)? If the Europe and country/region versions are the same scale then obviously the Europe version would be considerably cheaper than a set country ones.

The Truck Europe one is £95, Europe for cars is £27 and the range of country/region ones for car are £14 each. I'm looking at the Apple itunes page here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/developer/alk-technologies-ltd./id324327454

Whilst the van I'm getting does have a satnav already installed I have been looking for something to go on the iPad that I can browse in the pub and/or offline.
    TIA for any advice, it looks like exactly what I'm looking for.

Edit to switch to UK app page & prices

Last edited: Oct 31, 2015
  13. Forestboy

I just use the car one set to motorhome never have any issues and have checked it several times against car setting. It picks the optimum route for the motorhome which is often a different route to the one it would choose for car. My van is a tag axle 5 tonne 7.7 metres long. When running it along Garmin it always picked a better route hence we no longer use the Garmin.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Flamenca

Flamenca Funster Life Member

I also use Microsoft Autoroute Europe. I missed the deadline for buying the 2013 Edition but there are a few people in USA selling it. I know that I am taking a bit of a gamble but have bought one today. :cool:

I don't know of a comparable product for Windows.

15. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

Thanks @Forestboy, your van and mine would have similar restrictions or road preferences . And you're using the Europe version or did you buy a set of different countries/regions?
    I wonder why the Truck Europe version is three times the price of the car Europe one?

16. Forestboy

Yes Europe version got it on a special about £25.00 I think.
    Makes a gps look expensive eh!!
    Especially when you look at the route planning and alternative route options.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Littlewheels

Littlewheels Funster

Route planning,or in my case Trip planning, it never goes according to plan in fact on our current trip we had a plan but were delayed which resulted in a change of plan because the later departure meant it needed rethinking and I couldn't be bothered rethinking! So we got out of the Tunnel in France and had no idea which way to go,should we turn right or left and this happens most of the time.

We always get there it's just that we don't know where we are going really and this is what I love about Motorhoming, as I used to say to my children it'll be around the next corner!!

• Like Like x 1
  18. SMB

SMB Funster

I would definitely get the Truck app, I have it now having previously had the car version. With a rig that big you need to be able to put the dimensions in for bridges, narrow roads etc. Unless it has changed, you cannot put in vehicle dimensions in the car app although it does have a motorhome setting. The truck version also lets you choose whether to show restricted roads etc and also put custom speeds in for different road types, you can also choose different profiles for the rig such as 'avoid tolls' or 'use tolls' and quickly switch between them to see the effect on your journey. Not sure if you can do this with the car app as I don't use it because...I don't own a car anymore!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Sorry if this is a bit of a numpty question but with Co pilot, how do you use it, load it onto a tablet and have this mounted on the dash and use as "conventional" sat nav ? Does it need internet connection to work ?
    I had been considering the 7" chinese sat nav but maybe this is a better option.
    PS I have a Hudle 2 tablet

20. Dafydd

Dafydd Funster

Oh dear... :eek: so do I go for the Truck Europe (£95 - customisable dimensions, speeds) or the car one (£27 - with RV setting)?