Notifying DVLA of cardiac problems if driving a motorhome (1 Viewer)

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
There is some good info' on the DVLA website DD. Just do a general search by typing in 'Cardiac conditions DVLA'

It's surprising just how many conditions you can drive with. However, they always qualify this by getting your doctor's opinion or asking you to seek medical advice. For example, you can drive one week after angioplasty, or four weeks following a coronary event BUT always with the doctor caveat.

I always think that if one has been diagnosed and having treatment, that's better than someone who is unaware of a condition. Better being 'under the doctor' methinks.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Depends on what it is ???
The fact it's a motorhome does not make a difference it will also apply for any vehicle inc your car..

For my heart attack and the bypass no need to notify them only not to drive for the required 4/6 weeks after the event..

There are some that do need to be declared so best check DVLA website.

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Okay guys basically it says that you can drive a car or motorcycle after a heart attack without informing DVLA. However, you have to inform them if you want to drive a bus, coach or lorry. Clearly a motorhome is not a bus or coach but is it a lorry? Mine is over 3.5 tonne.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Okay guys basically it says that you can drive a car or motorcycle after a heart attack without informing DVLA. However, you have to inform them if you want to drive a bus, coach or lorry. Clearly a motorhome is not a bus or coach but is it a lorry? Mine is over 3.5 tonne.

No issues, After mine I was told no driving for 4 weeks.. Thats on the medical records and a DVLA recommendation, so have an accident and the insurance could be void...
My van is 4.25t...
It's not a goods vehicle.. Your fine..

May 23, 2008
Near Durham City
Funster No
MH
Carthago
Exp
Since 1984
I had my heart attack in June this year. As I have a Class 1 licence they had to be informed. Since then I'm allowed to drive trucks until I have completed all the tests they require . DVLA are paying for the necessary tests privately. It's now nearly December and I've just completed there final test on a treadmill . Typical contracted out government department .

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Sorry @tonka I don't quite understand what you are saying.

Even though you are over 3500kg a motorhome is not classed as a commercial / goods vehicle (lorry) so you are fine..
If you held a HGV /LGV or bus/coach license and planned to drive those vehicles then that is a different matter as @wiljoy has mentioned.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Hi @wiljoy We have very similar vehicles but I don't have a Class 1. Just had an MI (heart attack) and was advised by my consultant not to drive for a month. That's okay but do I need to tell DVLA and / or my insurers? A MH over 3.5t is classed as a Private HGV so I'm not sure.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Even though you are over 3500kg a motorhome is not classed as a commercial / goods vehicle (lorry) so you are fine..
If you held a HGV /LGV or bus/coach license and planned to drive those vehicles then that is a different matter as @wiljoy has mentioned.
Thanks Tonka. It just seems daft that over 3.5t the MH is classed as a P HGV.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
If you have any doubts about driving then don't. BUT:

If you think the DVLA might revoke your licence then it is best to hand it back voluntarily.

This is because when you do want the licence back when you are well enough you can reapply and start to drive from the date the DVLA receive your application for licence restoration.

If the DVLA revoke your licence on medical grounds you have to wait for their medical people to reinstate the licence and it takes a very long time - far longer than the six month or year long revocation.

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
Hi @wiljoy We have very similar vehicles but I don't have a Class 1. Just had an MI (heart attack) and was advised by my consultant not to drive for a month. That's okay but do I need to tell DVLA and / or my insurers? A MH over 3.5t is classed as a Private HGV so I'm not sure.

My consultant told me that I did not have to inform the DVLA after my heart attack and angioplasty and stent. That was 6 years ago and they know not as I retained C! at 70 earlier this year and had to do the stress ECG which is akin to medieval torture at that age.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Thanks Tonka. It just seems daft that over 3.5t the MH is classed as a P HGV.

That is only a classification for ROAD TAX.. (y)

As said your good to go...
I had heart bypass in March 2015.. No driving for 6 weeks and then I drove to the Jaws rally at Thetford..
That was a warm up and then went to Spain :)

1 month = 4 weeks It's an agreed time i think between the medical people and DVLA.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
That is only a classification for ROAD TAX.. (y)

and you need a C1 (or above) on your driving licence to drive a vehicle with a maximum allowed mass above 3500kg - even if it actually weighs less than that.

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
I had my heart attack in June this year. As I have a Class 1 licence they had to be informed. Since then I'm allowed to drive trucks until I have completed all the tests they require . DVLA are paying for the necessary tests privately. It's now nearly December and I've just completed there final test on a treadmill . Typical contracted out government department .
Hubby completed his treadmill and echocardiogram tests in August. Doctor said fit to drive a bus (not that he wants too). Phone DVLA every month, they still have not looked at results. Be prepared for a long wait!
Started application for C1 at 70 in April.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
Hubby completed his treadmill and echocardiogram tests in August. Doctor said fit to drive a bus (not that he wants too). Phone DVLA every month, they still have not looked at results. Be prepared for a long wait!

I'm phoning them every week - and once we are into the New Year if they haven't decided what to do with mine I will be calling / writing daily - oh, and getting my MP involved.

After that it is the Public Service Ombudsman.

If I'd been waiting since August I would be involving the ombudsman now.

Steve devon

Free Member
Sep 7, 2014
North devon
Funster No
MH
Adria sonic supreme
Exp
Since 2015
Dealing with dvla is a long slow drawn out affair, in 2012 I had a bypass op . I lost my hgv license because of heart problems. I got my hgv license back in 2013, it ran out in may this year and I am still waiting for a decision,they are only a small department apparently and there is a massive backlog. Fortunately they sent me a letter to say I can still drive hgvs, and to show it to the police if I got stopped. I lost it two weeks after it arrived, but herself found it two weeks ago,,,, happy days !

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Depends on what it is ???
The fact it's a motorhome does not make a difference it will also apply for any vehicle inc your car..

For my heart attack and the bypass no need to notify them only not to drive for the required 4/6 weeks after the event..

There are some that do need to be declared so best check DVLA website.

https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-and-driving
My surgeon gave me a 7 week sentence......but I think he rode a bicycle and didn't drive.

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for all the comments but I'm still trying to understand it. There is definitely different notification requirements that apply to a motorcycle and cars licence as opposed to a bus, coach, and lorry licence. So what category does using your C1 (grand dads rights) licence to drive a motorhome over 3.5t?

OP
OP
Dorset Diver
Dec 23, 2014
South Somerset
Funster No
MH
Carthago C-Line I 50
Exp
Since 2009
I don't want to suggest that motorhomes over 3.5t are a special case but they don't seem to drop easily into any particular category.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
A motorhome , even if it is private hgv ,is a car. Even if it weighs
10 tonnes.

Sorry but not true. See below.

I don't want to suggest that motorhomes over 3.5t are a special case but they don't seem to drop easily into any particular category.

There are no special cases. It all depends on the MAM.

Less than 3500kg a car licence is fine.

You need a C1 licence to drive a motorhome with a MAM of above 3500kg. Depending on when you passed your test you may already have this entitlement on your licence. It needs to be renewed with a medical when you get to 70 (and every 3 years after that) or if you have medical conditions you may have to have a medical and renew at an earlier age and more frequently.

If you can't fulfil the medical requirements for a C1 licence you can not legally drive most (any??) vehicle (and this includes a motorhome) on a public road where the MAM is in excess of 3500kg.

A C1 is medium size vehicle driving licence. The medical requirements are more strict than for a car but not as strict as the full HGV.

Here is the information from gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/driving-motorhome

Licence requirements
The licence you need to drive a motorhome depends on your age and the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). This is the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of over 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C licence.

Last edited:

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
C1 is for vehicles up to 7500kg (max) with a trailer up to 750kg

C1E is as above but allows towing a trailer over 750kg up to a maximum combined weight of 12000kg

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Which is why they are classed as private heavy goods vehicles for taxation but class 4 (car) for MOT purposes if over 3500kg....even very big RV's weighing upwards of 11 or 12 tons.
If used for hire or reward they are a full goods vehicle and you must hold a certificate of competancy and are no longer class 4 MOT.
C1 is the modern equivalent to the old HGV 3 licence...up to 7500kg rigid
C is the old HGV class 2....over 7500kg rigid
C+E is the old HGV class 1....over 7500kg + trailer (artic)

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
C1 is the modern equivalent to the old HGV 3 licence...up to 7500kg rigid
C is the old HGV class 2....over 7500kg rigid
C+E is the old HGV class 1....over 7500kg + trailer (artic)

Thank you! You need a C1 licence to drive a motorhome if it is between 3500 and 7500kg. You can only have a C1 licence if you fulfil the medical requirements.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
C1 is for vehicles up to 7500kg (max) with a trailer up to 750kg

C1E is as above but allows towing a trailer over 750kg up to a maximum combined weight of 12000kg

Only if a test was taken after 2013....before that date the ONLY limitation was the prime movers train weight.

As an aside....there is NO max trailer weight for a standard B+E car licence only the tugs max train weight.
A 6500kg truck with a 10000kg train can be downplated to 3500kg (as long as the unladen weight is 3500kg or less) and still pull a 6500kg trailer on a standard car licence.
Gross weight can be changed but train weight isn't.
5th wheel tuggers love that loophole.
I believe that loophole was closed post 2013 test as well.

Last edited:
Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Sorry but not true. See below.

There are no special cases. It all depends on the MAM.

Less than 3500kg a car licence is fine.

You need a C1 licence to drive a motorhome with a MAM of above 3500kg. Depending on when you passed your test you may already have this entitlement on your licence. It needs to be renewed with a medical when you get to 70 (and every 3 years after that) or if you have medical conditions you may have to have a medical and renew at an earlier age and more frequently.

If you can't fulfil the medical requirements for a C1 licence you can not legally drive most (any??) vehicle (and this includes a motorhome) on a public road where the MAM is in excess of 3500kg.

A C1 is medium size vehicle driving licence. The medical requirements are more strict than for a car but not as strict as the full HGV.

Here is the information from gov.uk

https://www.gov.uk/driving-motorhome

Licence requirements
The licence you need to drive a motorhome depends on your age and the vehicle’s maximum authorised mass (MAM). This is the vehicle’s weight plus the maximum load it can carry.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of between 3.5 and 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C1 licence.

To drive a motorhome with a MAM of over 7.5 tonnes, you need a category C licence.

Apologies as I thought we were just talking about people with grandfather rights?
To them it is the same as a car,up until age 70.
Slightly different for me here as I have a Spanish licence & the car part is same as UK in 10 year renewals but the C, C1 etc; & above all has to be renewed at 5 year intervals.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back