Not sure how to word this or how it will be recieved (green newbies) (1 Viewer)

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That's my second pet hate Chaser.

Standing in some poxy coffee shop and the trendy male or female in front says " Can I get a skinny latte to go"

Oh Please! why not say " Could I have a latte with skimmed milk to take away please?"
Because its 'cool' to pretend to be American.

Just Americanised shite.

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Morning all, Hi Chris

In the cold light of day, with a hint of sobriety, maybe the thread was badly put, nothing new there from me though o_O

I am still intrigued about why people would go to the effort of joining but then not pay, I guess they want to try before buying, but surely you could do that by just looking at the web site isn't it free for all to view?

I generally understand the colouring of members names,

Paid up are blue

But some are black, these seem to be a combination of expired memberships or never paid and ran out of posts

then the greenies, I am now working on assumption only, new subscribers go green, I presumed until they paid, but that might be a big mistake on my part, I seem to recall that the MHF system has to approve their email address before they are fully accepted, or something like that, so I might just be completely wrong, they are in fact paid up members, or at least some of them might be :)

Oh well, I guess it didn't really matter as a few have pointed out, (y) it is nothing to do with me as a few have insinuated, :) if nothing else my post numbers will get a boost with all the extra replies I will now be doing :LOL:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Scout

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 4, 2009
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
chic c line
Exp
12 years motorhoming, a lifetime of living
That's my second pet hate Chaser.

Standing in some poxy coffee shop and the trendy male or female in front says " Can I get a skinny latte to go"

Oh Please! why not say " Could I have a latte with skimmed milk to take away please?"

or just ask for a coffee, better still a tea (yorkshire)

Sep 15, 2009
Sussex coast
Funster No
MH
Lowline
Exp
learning
This is the only Paid forum I use I very much doubt I will ever pay to use one again either, however I dont mind paying for this one at all I get great enjoyment from visiting plus lots of hints and tips.
I used to be a very active motorcycle forum member and moderator politics killed the site a bit but its still going but I dont partake anymore. I think Facebook has killed many forums as its free and very easy but trouble is its very fast moving and things soon get lost forgotten.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
As we are having a whinge, here is my pet hate - threads which start with " Hi Guys".

Same as if a waiter in a restaurant addresses the whole table in the same way.

Trendy American tosspot language IMO.

Catch you guys later, OK dudes(y)

You've hit the nail on the head! :D:D:D

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Don't know why because I should be the last to comment on how anyone talks, but when in a bar or shop or whatever, it always grates with me when someone says can I GET a beer or can l GET a cake , no you can't, whoever is serving GETS it for you, but you can HAVE one.:(

Yes, I hate that too! :):):)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I think your wrong David. People don't think of using forums initally until they require help/information. A bit tasteless expecting them to pay up front and if I may say judgemental:) was at a dinner party at daughters last night and she saw me looking at this site and said Dad that's your equivalent of face book. ..and she's perfectly right!! People have to be able to dip in and feel the warmth...there is no other forum like Fun..

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
@DavidG58 not sure what it's like now when you join 'fun' David but I remember that it wasn't particularly obvious that there was a joining fee:doh:......and it's sort of unusual isn't it, in a way?

I think the folk on here are some of the most helpful I've met anywhere;)

P.s......I had to look (I'm too nosey).....your 1st ever thread was asking for help and info on the Hymer s800 you'd bought......offering expenses & unlimited coffee :D

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Morning all, Hi Chris

In the cold light of day, with a hint of sobriety, maybe the thread was badly put, nothing new there from me though o_O

:LOL:

remember " The drunken man speaks, the sober man's thoughts "(y)

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Yes but since putting the question on , hasn't been back:(

but that was the point.. it makes no odds.. he started a good thread that others may have found useful and or interesting..

but in any case.. he is back and replying to the thread..

Anyway glad I joined up as this forum looks like a really useful font of knowledge.

Reactions: DLT

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
And so help the economy, and not Germany's

I dont pay downright greasy greedy know nothing merchants a penny, also have no interest whatsoever in RHD, as don't use vans here for more then 10% of travel if that...£25000 for the same van that I can have here in a day...you have got to be joking. I pay vat like everyone else into the economy but not pander to exploitation. I would mind a little less if you got experienced service, most operations very poor compared to large European operations, not here today gone tomorrow merchants:)

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
We are all different with varing degrees of savy on this sort of thing..
The forum is more to some than others... Nothing wrong with greeting everyone if that's your thing but equally nothing wrong with not doing it ... same as birthday greetings...
This forum is without doubt very friendly and accommodating..
It seems to work well and a friendly response to a first post even if they appear to have forgotten their manners is still the best way fwd..IMHO. .
I hate reading a reply to a first post which is pulling them up and telling them they should pay up...
At the end of the day it's up to Jim I suppose to decide what works and restrict new posters ,which is what you suggested earlier I think..
Andy
I can remember my first posts ! And I was very nervous some of the Funsters seemed quite scarey but now I think they are pussycats!! Perhaps the op was nervous when posting.

Last edited:
Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
I can't remember my first post. (There again, I don't remember as much as I should).

I do know that I didn't introduce myself properly as I didn't realise that there was a way to do it, this being the first Forum I have ever joined.

However, I have become an ardent fan of this site, and its members. Someone always has the info you need. We have been Motorhomers/caravanners for over thirty years but there are still lots of things to learn.

We are constantly surprised at the speed of response to queries and the depth of knowledge of members, be it technical, travel or legal matters.

I would have no qualms about answering a Newbies question if I could. What better way to attract new members.

Thank you @Jim

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
:( Crumbs. I don't remember my LAST post let alone my first one... but they were probably both just as dumb as each other.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I can remember my first posts ! And I was very nervous some of the Funsters seemed quite scarey but now I think they are pussycats!! Perhaps the op was nervous when posting.

Haha you've got them all sorted now..

As sandra said there is a hard core of regular greeters on the forum which is nice...but I'm not one of them ...not saying I never do but I'm more likely to respond to a new member asking a question then one that just comes on saying hi folks ..
My reference to forgetting their manners was referring to comments made about coming on looking for help before introducing themselves.....Some see that as bad form....I don't see a problem with that...
I certainly wasn't referring to the op of this thread..:LOL:
Andy

OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Haha you've got them all sorted now..

As sandra said there is a hard core of regular greeters on the forum which is nice...but I'm not one of them ...not saying I never do but I'm more likely to respond to a new member asking a question then one that just comes on saying hi folks ..
My reference to forgetting their manners was referring to comments made about coming on looking for help before introducing themselves.....Some see that as bad form....I don't see a problem with that...
I certainly wasn't referring to the op of this thread..:LOL:
Andy

I'll send you down a ladder in a bit Andy, or do you want a new shovel to keep going deeper :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

Last edited:
OP
OP
DavidG58
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
more controversy, yes I have had a couple more glasses since last night

having 'seen the light' I decided today to do my bit and welcome in the greenies

one of the later entries technically wasn't a greenie, but like me for whatever reason we now chose to use, we didn't 'introduce ourselves' but they did today as a bluie?? next stage from greenie (y)

within their introduce themselves thread I replied, full of gusto and enthusiasm, (well I replied at least), making comedic reference to the late intro and wondering who else may be in that same class, that is having never officially said 'hi' (just for Chris) read higher up for any confused part thread readers (there seem to be plenty of you) :LOL::LOL:

so I now reckon some of you have an 'auto fill' option for introduce yourself threads, having either not read their post admitting their omission when joining, or my own witty comment :D:D

time for bed said Zebedee :)

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
@DavidG58 what if your new member (as yet unpaid) Googles his problem and is directed to FUN?

His first few posts are a tatster for something he new nothing about.

He then gets very quick replies to his problem and realises that this is a great site and may well join.
I would imagine that is why he gets a few 'free posts'

Only problem i can see, is if he comes across old mo's jokes:LOL:

Gellyneck

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
More than toes wet now!
I'll send you down a ladder in a bit Andy, or do you want a new shovel to keep going deeper :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:
Save the postage David. Don't send the ladder to help him out. Just use the shovel to fill the hole in!:whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back