Not just the Canary Islands who are sick of tourists (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Yes, thousands were protesting that they have to prove they live there now so they don't get charged.

WESTY66

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 17, 2017
South Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Carthago Chic C-Line
Exp
All the gear, and no idea!
Venice now charging 5 euros for visitors:unsure:
Barcelona and Amsterdam are closely watching. If it’s a success, they will implement a charge, then it’s only a matter of time before all major tourist hotspots are going to charge. I fear travel is going to change massively over the next 10 years😔

Northernraider

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 30, 2017
On the sofa ....
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta eurayacht
Exp
On and off since 95
Barcelona and Amsterdam are closely watching. If it’s a success, they will implement a charge, then it’s only a matter of time before all major tourist hotspots are going to charge. I fear travel is going to change massively over the next 10 years😔
I genuinely think governments are trying to stop/put people off from travelling outside their own countries. Or the media is because its nuts just how much anti travel news is being published. And all networks are at it.
Screenshot_20240423_195437_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240423_204106_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240423_204121_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240423_213731_Google.jpg
Screenshot_20240424_213200_Google.jpg

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Or the media

The media, and by that I mean newspapers (Nats and Locals) TV stations, Podcasts and popular blogs, have very few, if any real 'reporters' these days. So many outlets with a hungry 24-hour news cycle. They all jump on the same stories; rewrite, or put their political slant on it and just run with them, all the noise amplification. So much so it's so hard to find out what the real story is. All we can be sure of, it's likely to be nothing like what we are reading, seeing or hearing!

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Think Jim is closer to the truth; I'd guess it's the situation that tourism has created rather than the tourists themselves. These places need tourism to survive but unfortunately the governments, local authorities, whatever are not exercising enough control so that entrepreneurs are taking over anything they can get their hands on in an attempt to jump on the bandwagon. The effect of this, of course, is that resources become badly strained, not only things like water and other services but homes for the local population. This has of course also been seen here in the UK with pretty villages becoming ghost towns out of season when most of the properties have been bought for holiday lets etc. IMO this is what the locals are really complaining about, but of course it's good media fodder when one or two try to put the blame on tourists.

The solution is for local authorities to take control of holiday letting, licenses for hotels etc. and ensure a workable proportion of accommodation is reserved for the local population. Yes, this will lead to the supply/demand effect likely causing increased prices for tourists but the attraction of cheap holidays is why the situation has developed in the first place. There are examples of where restrictions have allowed similar situations to change but the current events are going to need a strong resolve of local authorities. Unfortunately, for places like the Canaries, it may be too late so anybody who is planning/booked a cheap holiday had better enjoy it now.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
Venice now charging 5 euros for visitors:unsure:
It's not because they are sick of tourists... They are trying to generate cash to support the city financially and literally... The population of Venice has shrunk as folk can't afford to live there so there are fewer people contributing to the wider economy. Also, the city is at high risk of damage from climate change so they are trying to implement measures that will reduce flooding / damage due to rising sea levels and storms.

This is a trial which is due to last approx 10 weeks and has, apparently, been pretty easy for tourists to use.

Jun 29, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
caravan (for now)
Exp
on and off since 1984
If you can afford to travel to Venice you can afford €5. I went to Carcassonne a few years ago and in the old town we lasted 5 minutes, it was so crowded it was not safe. I had to pick up our dog or she would have been trodden on, people were lifting kids in buggies out of the crowd. I would happily pay a few Euros for some crowd control. I do want to go back and have a look around but when it's not so busy.

Jul 13, 2022
Tarragona, Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
I am off to Tenerife next week so I will report back when I return.

I hope they haven’t put beer prices up as part of their protest
You must try Dorada Especial.
It's a local beer, really tasty 😋
If you ask for that one, they'll treat you very well 😉
1000007383.jpg

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
It could well be similar to here if you're poor at organising local services and planning housing etc blame foreigners seems to be working here.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
I don't blame the Canary Islands for wanting to cut down on tourists. All of the properties that come up for sale are snapped up by tour companies etc. so they can rent them out to tourists. It the same here in some places but what will happen if they get what they wish for. I read an article online today that many English tourists have booked elsewhere this year as they don't want the aggro.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Venice , went as a kid , mid 1970s and loved it , went as an adult 2000s and hated it , they would have to pay me to visit again .
I've never been to Venice, saw it on the news last night so now I don't need to go:giggle:(y)

Oct 12, 2009
SW London, Poland and all Europe
Funster No
MH
A Class N+B Arto 69GL
Exp
Since 2009
In areas where locals are priced out of the market because of second home owners, there is a suggestion that the local authorities should control the situation.

In countries like the UK where second homes are charged a premium on Council Tax there is little incentive to control the ownership of second homes, as it would reduce the councils' incomes.

OP
OP
Gina M
Sep 21, 2016
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
Frankia i740
Exp
since 2007
Plenty of “English Out” graffiti in Cornwall ….😆😎
I remember many years ago we looked at a house for sale in a Derbyshire village and we were told by the Estate agent that we had to show proof that we were local residents to purchase it, why can't all Councils do that. We had to live in the same post code to purchase the property:unsure:

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
Venice is doing it and so is Manchester.
There are other town/cities in UK contemplating it too! 🤔

Oct 22, 2019
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Chausson 640 welcome
Exp
Since October 2019
It’s just another micro tax , same as drop off fees , ulez , etc, etc . Filtering into the pockets of corrupt officials on the premise it’s “ for us plebs”.

Feb 19, 2018
EAST ANGLIA
Funster No
MH
Murvi Morello
Exp
Since 1975
It’s just another micro tax , same as drop off fees , ulez , etc, etc . Filtering into the pockets of corrupt officials on the premise it’s “ for us plebs”.
From what I've heard on Radio 4, the one in Manchester goes to the traders but others proposed will probably go to the Government.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back