Not all Motorhome drivers are decent - or was i expecting too much !

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Brightspark, Jul 28, 2014.

1. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

Due to a major local accident on Saturday I had to take a diversion using narrow country lanes. This journey was in our new compact car (Suzuki Alto) The lane became narrow & I pulled into a passing area & stopped to allow a motorhome to pass through. It was a classic Talbot Express with large wrap around bumpers, he managed squeeze through until pass my front end then hit my rear wheel arch dent the wing and scalp the bumper with his bumper.

Ok so accidents happen. I got out to exchange details & he drove off. I got his number.

Luckily the driver behind him acknowledged the accident & gave his witness details. The Police have been informed. Now the ball ache of processing an insurance claim.

• Like Like x 3
  2. Tootles

Tootles Funster

And......................So........................Why was he not 'decent'?? With the noise those engines make, good chance he heard nothing.

3. K9Brian

K9Brian Funster

and going through a tight space he wasn't using his wing mirrors? Come on!!!!!

4. Tootles

Tootles Funster

So your seriously saying that a guy hits a car in a MH, then drives away, knowing he hit it, and also knowing his number will be taken?? Not some kid in a stolen Fiesta.

5. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Last two road traffic accidents I have been involved in they both did a runner. One succeeded :(

6. wanderer

wanderer Funster

We now have travellers using motorhomes in our area maybe its getting more widespread

7. Jim

Jim Ringleader

If you hit something with your front end in a Motorhome then you know about it. If they catch up with him He'll deny all knowledge and in these situations the insurance companies will often go knock for knock and you'll share the blame so do some maths before claiming.

I had a guy seriously damage my Motorhome with his trailer while overtaking, he went to stop then thought he'd run and tried to get away from us, I chased him for 2o miles down tiny lanes in a 34ft RV. I eventually caught up with him when we hit some traffic, yanked open the drivers door ready to kill someone. But the old boy was about 70 in a bit of shock from the chase and just mumbling sorry, over and over.

Most of the crunches in car parks are not made by people in stolen fiestas, they are made by people not decent enough to leave their details.

• Like Like x 7
  8. Barclaybasher

Barclaybasher Funster

I think you have just upset about 90% on here:crying::crying:

:rofl::rofl:

• Like Like x 7
  9. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

I always wondered how you met Old Mo.

• Like Like x 8
  10. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

oh he knew he hit me. As he was moving slowly passed other vehicles behind me I got out & shouted after him, he then stopped I said 'you have just hit me' he says 'who hit who' I replied 'you hit me as I had stopped' that's when he gave me 2 fingers & drove off.

11. horshamjack

horshamjack Funster

What a Robert SOLE !!

12. chaser

chaser Funster

Not commenting on your situation, but hate these buggers in fancy cars that stop about two foot from the hedge so as not to scratch it then expect you to get past them then blame you if you scratch it but they just sit there they won't try to get past you

• Like Like x 3
  13. Tea Bag

Tea Bag Funster

Hi.
    He perhaps WAS using his wing mirrors and there lies the problem,there is one on each side. I cannot see into both wing mirrors at the same time,this is why i failed to become a steam engine driver on the railway,i could not see both sides of the boiler while driving...( Go on...SMILE)
    Upsetting ? Yes. Metal/Plastic can be mended.
    Tea Bag

14. old-mo

old-mo Funster Extra Special Life Member

Cheeky old sod..... you aint no spring chicken.... :p:ROFLMAO:

• Like Like x 3
  15. Dawn B

Dawn B Funster

I feel sorry for the person that prangs our MH
    [​IMG]
    That said, as I like to do the driving, chances are I'll be beating myself up.

16. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Living in a single track road as I do I have grown quite cautious recently and will reverse back a long way if necessary until the road is wide enough for the oncoming vehicle to pass, assuming it is best for me to reverse instead of them. I started doing this after being scraped by a Land Rover last year. I had stopped in the passing place as they approached, they slowed down but didn't pull over enough and scraped my rear wing. We exchanged names etc., and went our way.

In the end I didn't claim on the insurance as the damage was superficial, could be repaired for £200.00 and I felt it wasn't worth it, taking into account the excess and the longer term effect of having a claim on my record. The other issue was their insurance company might have tried the "knock for knock" approach and there were no witnesses. I guess a dash camera might be an idea but I leave that in the MH.

17. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

This happened to us in the middle of nowhere up in the dales on a very narrow road. Ralph started to move slowly .
    Windows screaming as they were getting scraped by the bushes .
    Then I reminded him, we have food, water, and a bed (y)
    They eventually moved along. Shouting obscenities out of the window as they went. :rofl:

• Like Like x 1
  18. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Well! I, say ban them from the roads entirely, they should all be deported to where their M/H is made. or send em to somewhere where the weather is 'orrible, snow metres deep, horizontal rain, temp. in single figures all year round, eeerrmm? Anglesey Yep! thats the place!

• Like Like x 1
  19. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

I also will feel sorry for anyone hitting dawns m/home

• Like Like x 1
  20. Brightspark

Brightspark Funster

A long slow process & we are no further forward. The driver who hit me is now stating to his insurance company that it wasn't him driving his motorhome!