Norway. That was a long 'un!

Discussion in 'Denmark Norway Sweden Finland' started by timdownieuk, Jun 14, 2016.

1. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

But worth every minute.

I was a bit worried about Norway because of other folks' descriptions of it being "a bit Scottish" but it it is, it ain't like any bits of Scotland I've ever seen!

We tried to take in a good number of the National Tourist Routes that were nearly all just stunning. Truly a country that should be on every motorhomer's bucket list. Just a pain that it just so far these days.

Wouldn't bother with the west coast of Sweden again. We only ended up coming up that way because of our obsession with "The Bridge" scandi-drama. ;-)

http://www.gpsies.com/map.do?fileId...C48B16EB5E27D99D54841568A9B334DBEC71E253DF947

holiday.jpg

• Like Like x 16
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Figaro

Figaro Funster

Looks amazing, over how long was your trip, have you photos on a blog ?

3. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

Three weeks on the continent. Lots of photos but no blog (yet). Will try and put something together.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Theonlysue

Theonlysue Funster Life Member

How much milage? ?

5. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

It's a trip we plan to do..

Can you give a rough breakdown of costs.. fuel, tolls, daily shopping.. don't drink so not worried about the £10 per pint :LOL:

as an aside.. I used to live in West Kilbride.. born in Lochwinnoch.. miss Scotland a lot..

• Like Like x 2
  6. StitchesnFluff

StitchesnFluff Funster

Looks great, any pics, sleepover points?

7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Wow that is we want to do would be interested in details as well :)

8. Kool Kroozer

Kool Kroozer Funster

WoW !

9. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Wow, green with envy ! Norway was a place we wanted to visit as my OH had been there several times when he was in the Army.m

10. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

4025 miles including sea crossings, about 3250 to 3300 without.

11. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

My wife has been busy with the spreadsheet so I'm sure she won't let me forget what we spent!

On the whole though, fuel was cheaper that at home, we rarely spent more that £20 on a parking site in Norway (although we had a good number of free nights too) and whilst prices for food/drink were generally higher they weren't eye-wateringly higher. Certainly not a problem if you've stocked your van well before you start. We didn't do much shopping and had enough wine on board for the full trip. ;-)

Tolls came to 531.80 NOK which is about £42. Biggest toll charge was 150 NOK for the Hardanger bridge.

Ferries in Norway came to 1,400 NOK (approx £112) for 5 trips in a 7 metre motorhome.

• Like Like x 2
  12. jumartoo

jumartoo Funster

Norway was going to be our "this year" trip but other places to go to this year interfered with our plans. Now planning for next year. After our one week taster in December staying with friends we are even more interested in a long trip in Scandinavia. Will look out for your blog if you manage to put one together.

13. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Did you cycle this? The web site says 10mph

• Funny Funny x 2
  14. timdownieuk

timdownieuk Funster

The map was drawn (from memory) after the holiday so times/speeds etc don't mean anything.

15. campa cola

campa cola Funster

If you are going to Norway do not miss the Lofoten islands!!! Ferry about £70-80 from Bodo, for a <6 meter van. Also route 17 is lots of mini ferry cruises through the Fjords. Norway is an easy place to camp nobody bats an eyelid if you park in picnic sites laybys etc, also plenty of roadside services.
    Norway is nothing like Scotland, Norway has thousands of square KM's of proper wilderness, Scotland has little official wild places any more.

• Useful Useful x 1
  16. TerryL

TerryL Funster

We're sort of on our way home now, having been right up to Nordkap. Currently taking a few days chillin' out in Denmark - and yes it's a long, long drive. To be honest we've been beset with problems right from the start and it's not been one of our best trips, though that's no fault of Scandinavia. We'll probably be back to try some of the bits we missed again (but not Nordkap).

Check out our blog if you wish - www.terryandbren9.blogspot.com - but it's not what I would call an inspiration.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Really enjoyed reading your blog, it is certainly is a long way! It is a trip i would love to do, love Norway. :)

18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

We have only been to Norway the easy way. Fjord cruise for10 days. Fantastic!
    loved every minute of it. Cheapest place we ever been to, bought nothing because of the prices.
    There were lots of motorhomes around the fjords on campsite right on the edge of the water. We were jealous and its on our hit list. The only down side is the distance, not the cost.
    I saw a guy pull out a bloody great Salmon off the jetty using mackerel gear.
    Must go one day.
    Phil mefreezerwithfish.

19. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Actually that's one of the things you're NOT allowed to do. Legal limit for exporting fish is 15kg (though who checks I've no idea)!

20. Falcon 269

Falcon 269 Funster

What about customs checking for own-consumption wine and beer on the way in? We're thinking of a 4-week trip next year and would like to take a couple of cases of each to enjoy by the fiords with our fish. :)

Also, anyone have any experience of Norwegian midges/mossies in July and August? It's something else that we're a little concerned about.