Norway, motorhome or fly and hotel (2 Viewers)

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Norway

I can only say yes it will cost but it is on the list that needs crossing off.We did the full drive France,Monaco,Italy, Swit,Germany,Prague,Poland,Germany,Denmark,Sweden,and into Norway making our way to Norcap to enjoy the 24 hour daylight the highlight of the trip we stayed by the side of rivers ,lakes ,in the forest as well as on the line that denotes the Arctic Circle we slowly ambled back down to re enter Sweden then Denmark Netherlands Luxemburge Belguim and back into France and headed for the ferry at Dunkirk 11month later we arrived back in the U.K 12,000 miles 334 nights out on the road the only sites we used in Prague,Berlin,Lake Garda our trip of our life.Stay Safe:thumb:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Our rough plan at the moment is France, Belgium, Holland, Germany, Denmark, Sweden, Norway being in Tromso approx 2nd week June. Leave the van in Tromso take ship to Svalbard / Spitsbergen approx 6 days then carry on to Nordkapp. Return journey so far is through Finland for the first part then we're not sure have'nt got any further than that as there are several alternative return routes.
Apart from being in Tromso for the ship, if we decide to do that, everything else will be very loose as we don't like to plan our journeys too much just tend to go where tha fancy takes us, also that way we never get lost.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
Norway

Forestboy good luck with your trip.We took the central route up Norway every few miles we found large pull-in camping spots just of the road some with composting toilets some fully plumbed with full washing facilities make sure you you have small filler hose with expanding tap fitting and be aware that cars just pull up folk start putting up tents at the side of you on a regular basis as the Nords class these camping spots as free hotels as they travel through the country.If you like a drink beware of the £7 pint and the £30 bottle of Spirits which can only be sold from government shops open for a few hours a day.As for food because most of us tend to eat Chicken it is easy to equate food prices to them.Spain 1.5kilo bird about e4,France e6,Denmark e8,Sweden e11,Norway e14 I only use this as an example but equate this with most food and drink items you will purchase.Fuel is about U.K plus 10p a litre.The cost of bridge and tunnel crossings for a van over 3500k can be 100e plus so factor in this cost.I would not encourage anyone to smuggle in spirits or wine if crossing from Finland to Norway as you will get stopped and you will be left with 2 bottles of wine and a big fine,no joke the couple who camped with us had just been stopped and in his words ,The barsteds took 2 bottles of spirits 11 bottles of wine and 236e from his wallett.Get to Norcap and the parking is secured by guards you pay about e50 to stay for upto 3 nights but have access to all tourist bits but be aware no empty or filling points so sort out prior to arrival.Hope what I have said does not put anyone off it is superb to see the sights we saw enjoy and Stay Safe :thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

trakweb

Free Member
Apr 20, 2012
Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt low profile
Exp
Since March 2012
We are going

We are leaving for Scandinavia on 23rd May via Dover / Dunkirk, via Amsterdam, ZuiderZee and over the Oresund Bridge.
From there we will travel up east coast of Sweden then over to Narvik and the Lofoten Islands.
After that we will skirt Nordkapp (like Lands End, an expensive piece of land just to say you have been there) and come back down through Finland, Sweden etc etc.
Hoping to be back by mid July at the latest.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Thank's for sharing that video Bigfoot, reminds me why I work. Otis, that sounds like a massive trip, similar to what we have planned in a few years....

otis the staffy

Free Member
Jan 2, 2010
Funster No
We are going

Trakweb have a great trip my friend,enjoy the sights and the the friendships you will make with a really good set of nations in that part of the world. Our trip lasted for 11 months and the midnight sun and the herds of reindeer wondering down the road towards us as well as the truly breathtaking views are the things that remind us of the great times we have had in the last ten years with our motorhome and it is these memories which help us through the dark days.Stay safe and enjoy and never put off till later as sometimes later does not arrive as late as you hope.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 23, 2009
Burnham on Sea-late of Mortagne sur Gironde
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Stargazer
Exp
Since 1995
Scandinavia is our main Summer trip this year, for about 5/6 weeks during August and September. Outline plan is Belgium, Holland, Germany then ferry from Puttgarden. Up Sweden (no tolls) across to Norway West coast for the Fjords on the way back. Just received Vicarious Benelux/Scandinavia Aires and waiting for Bordatlas.

Hoedown

Free Member
Oct 21, 2011
Garden of England
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
First year accomplished
A few years back, when we only had our folding camper, we took 6 weeks to drive through Denmark up in to Norway and back through Sweden. We only got as far as the fjords as we would have needed longer to reach Nordkapp especially towing and putting the camper up every time we stopped.
See our blog here http://travelmoores.blogspot.co.uk/

A couple of years later we took the Germany -Denmark route to Sweden again towing the folding camper. http://2010travelmoores.blogspot.co.uk/p/our-scandinavia-holiday-in-right-order.html

I think that you need a lot longer than 2 weeks to be able to enjoy all that Norway has to offer. One thing we found was that we did not cover as many miles in a day as we had expected mainly due to the road conditions, narrow, windy, hilly and in places not asphalted.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back